March 2024 Chatter

Glad to hear the surgery went well.

3 Likes

Yay! :tada:

2 Likes

Yak/silk blend on my new EEW Nano 2, with a bunch of singles on an Andean plying tool because my plans for this fiber changed – I had done over half of it on a support spindle so the fiber didn’t get split evenly. I don’t think I can go back to spinning on a normal wheel after the Nano. My Flatiron is the best wheel I’ve ever had, but I get better control over fine singles with the Nano and – most importantly – I can place the wee thing anywhere it needs to go to best suit my posture. I’ve spun for hours on this thing in a day, whereas with the Flatiron, even with the flyer on the right, I could only do an hour a day before my shoulder would start complaining.

The yak/silk blend is the second spinning WIP I’ve started on other equipment and finished with the Nano. I’ll try to get pics of the 8 oz of Polwarth(?)/silk blend I finished up first.

Did I mention I’ve only had the Nano for a week and a half?

4 Likes

@HeatherAthebyne These hang in one of my classrooms and, of course, I thought of you! Sorry about the glare, between the glass and the windows… not optimal for pictures.

3 Likes

So, it’s an electric spinning wheel? With a foot control like a sewing machine?

Yak/silk…unsual, for a certain project? As i recall yak is very soft, true?

3 Likes

Great news, Char. Hope you’ll heal quickly
My current WIP for the last two months is jumper for my husband. Pattern is Ingrid sweater by Petiteknit. Should be finished by the beginning of March, but had big orders for my work.

7 Likes

Those are lovely! Thank you for sharing! :smile: That’s the kind of work I aspire to.

The Nano gets switched on/off with an inline switch on the power cord, but a lot of people have added foot switches to theirs. It’s a really customizable little wheel in part because the design is so basic.

The yak/silk blend was a “I’ll figure it out later” fiber festival buy. Extremely soft, very short staple. I still don’t know what I’m going to do with it, but think it’ll work out for my purposes better as 4 oz of laceweight than fingering. I’m glad to have it over with, honestly… given the composition I can’t blame the manufacturer nor the indie dyer, but it was not the easiest thing to spin and I was tired of coming across felted bits in the roving. It should make for a very nice lacy scarf, though!

3 Likes

Beautiful

2 Likes

Something quite different from a finicky yak blend. Naturally tan Merino d’Arles, a nice fine crimpy wool that kind of reminds me of a Downs breed. I’m spinning it the same way as I did with the last Clun Forest batch I had, with a longer draw and a bit more texture to the singles. I’ll make this a 3 ply and hope it comes out close enough to that Clun Forest that I can use it for some color work in a sweater.

2 Likes

I’m knitting socks in this style - I showed this on Zoom yesterday - the light makes the white stripes look yellowish - I used a spot/random dyed yarn
for the second colour and I like how it looks like I was changing colours every row :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I like that a lot!

3 Likes

I love the combination.

3 Likes

thanks @Hellokitten and @lovestostitch !

1 Like

Beautiful.
I like your knitting needles too.
I don’t think I have seen square ones before.

2 Likes

thanks - the needles are KnitPro Cubics wood needles and really comfortable to knit with

2 Likes

I have a few sets of square needles and like them very much.

3 Likes

I’m recovering from surgery last week. I apparently had an allergic reaction to an antiseptic they used and have a terrible rash that is worse than the surgery effects. I decided I needed to sew Saturday a bit to distract me from the itching.

That worked some so I kept going. I finished the smile and kept going. Finished blocks for my next top - this will be a Quilts of Valor donation.

5 Likes

Glad you at least figured out what was causing it. Bad that you have to suffer through it. Hopefully they can give you something to calm it down.

3 Likes

@Char those are lovely blocks.
Sorry about the complication of the rash. Hope they put that in your chart so they avoid using it in the future.

2 Likes

JoAnn stores announce bankruptcy.

Here is another article I found, which says JoAnn has been removed from NASDAQ, and after bankruptcy will become privately owned: Joann bankruptcy: fabrics retailer files for bankruptcy, delisted from Nasdaq as revenue declines after brief Covid pandemic spike - ABC7 Chicago

The article does does not say who is purchasing JoAnn… or whether JoAnn will be American-owned or foreign-owned.

2 Likes