June 2024

I am so sorry your dad passed. I have been thru that years ago. Never easy despite any circumstances.
Welcome back.

1 Like

Thanks everyone,
I am working on #16 from Vogue knitting spring summer 2022
I just started the collar for the deep v neck

I am going to use a contrast color of all green beige for the collar

7 Likes

I went to a goodwill store looking for summer tops. Something not polyester. Left with a $5 home made woolish blanket. It is a rich Navy blue, slightly scratchy. The crafter changed skeins every 4 rows or so.

I have no idea what pattern it is. Guessing I hand wash and dry.

I love it. Wrapped it around me this morning. It was like a nice warm hug.

Thankyou mystery crafter. I love this blanket.:heart::yarn:

6 Likes

9 Likes

That is so pretty! What a find!

1 Like

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and well wishes this month.

:bear:Mama Bear developed a fever and after 3 days we finally convinced her to call her doc. They put her in an ER room immediately and began testing for Septis. (as she was borderline for that before they released her) Thankfully…she was cleared and they discovered a UTI. Poor thing did not notice the symptoms because she is recovering from being torn by the forceps. She is on antibiotics and fever has gone away. Still way too anemic for me. Her gums are extremely pale. Almost white. They told her to just take her normal vitamin routine and it should go away. It hasn’t yet.

:teddy_bear:Baby Bear has been cleared to come home today! :partying_face:
He is such a little fighter. We have seen so many miracles in the last 15 days. Little guy is around 2 weeks old and just over 10lbs. (normal sizing for Dads side of the family)

Thank you again for helping encourage me during this crazy time. I appreciate it.
Happy crafting everyone. :fk:

8 Likes

So glad your daughter didn’t have major issues, and Baby Bear is coming home! Both great news!

3 Likes

I got this little beauty today after asking my husband to talk me out of it. Clearly, he didn’t! The machine needs work, the cabinet a bit less; someone had nailed the lid shut(!) and put some kind of topper on it (now peeling), so I’ll have to remove those. The cabinet itself is sound, though. The wiring… less so… if you look closely you can see the insulation disintegrating on the loose dangling wires. Plus, the machine is full of dust, so I’m going to have to deep clean and rewire everything.

A project, to be sure, but I’ve been sighing over these for years and this one came in at a very good price. She’s a model 15-87 from 1935 with Royal Air Force decals and a No. 56 cabinet.

Comments on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wrWYunlgI about RAF decals:

6 Likes

Congrats on your find!

I feel like I’ve heard that these old guys are workhorses and can plow through anything.

I’m letting my daughter use my sewing machine for the first time…:flushed:… she can only use it while I sit nearby… sometimes I am just amazed at what can go wrong. She’s making a bag for a friend’s birthday.

4 Likes

I’ve been praying for Baby Bear. So glad to hear he is coming home. I’ll add Mama Bear to my prayers.

2 Likes

What a neat looking machine and cabinet. Do you know from your research if the machines came with a cabinet or people bought them on the side? I have an all metal Montgomery Ward sewing machine from the 1970’s. At one point, I decided to “upgrade” to an electronic one with all these features. My first project was one of those pillowcase dresses for a mission’s trip. The new machine couldn’t make it through seam binding sewn around the armhole. I took the new machine back and finished the project on my old workhorse.

4 Likes

I believe they were sold either with cabinets or a small portable base, but could be moved to different furniture if needed. @Knit2PSquare , these older all-metal machines do tend to be real workhorses. This one can only do straight stitch, but I anticipate it doing it very well once cleaned up. I remember being little and watching my mom sew, and always being terrified that her finger was going to slip under the needle, even though the needle couldn’t be raised that high. I did eventually settle down and she taught me to use the machine. My fingers (and hers) remain un-perforated!

3 Likes

I finished a wrap today. I used red heart soft essentials in white. And a good deal of thin crochet thread for the embellishments. Total time from start to finish 15 days. I worked on it slowly as I was fretting over baby bear. Embellishments done over a 2 day period. Clocked about 12-14 hours for the embroidery.

9 Likes

Beautiful - those delicate flowers must have taken ages!

1 Like

She’s a beauty - and I bet she purrs when she’s oiled and lubed!

1 Like

Yes, the old ones are workhorses and easy to maintain. Very easy to learn on, too!

1 Like

I enjoyed every second of it. So much so that I completely lost track of time.

I love when that happens.
What craft or hobby do you guys get lost in? Other than channel surfing or mindless tech scrolling.

1 Like

I do get lost in a book from time to time, but it’s mainly crochet; I start a project and tell myself I’ll just work for an hour and then have a break, but somehow time gets away from me. Especially when toy making - if I have a head and body done then I think “I’ll just do the legs”, and then “I might as well finish it now”. And then it’s been six or more hours, and I should have been in bed an hour ago. I also used to get absorbed in a good jigsaw, but my old kitty makes that impossible, because he likes to eat the pieces.

3 Likes

I need some ideas.

My daughter got me this as a Christmas gift.

60/40% acrylic/wool. Worsted weight, nice stitch definition, gradual self-striping print. It’s not “winter” warm. I only have two skeins, about 440 yards total. If I had more I would make a cardigan for spring/fall or a wrap. I am thinking about a vest or cowl.
Any project recommendations?

4 Likes

What a wonderful gift.
Have you seen the Cascade yarns site? They show what the color play would be if knitted skinny and long. Might help in deciding what you are going to work up with it.

https://www.cascadeyarns.com/product/pacific-prints

2 Likes