It's all Fun and Games

… until the shawl that started out with 5 stitches, becomes 275 and you still have 40 more increases to do. My circular definitely is not long enough! :frowning: Any project that you started out enthusiastically … that slowly became a chore?

1 Like

I sort of have a similar shawl OTN right now. I don’t know if I’d say it’s a chore but knitting one row of the pattern takes quite some time, and I don’t like to stop knitting in the middle of the row (I don’t think it’s good for tension) so I need to know I have a lot of time to sit and knit one row. Needless to say, that isn’t everyday.

This reminds me of a t-shirt my son’s friend wore when they were teens. It read “It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it’s hilarious.” Teenage boys.

I’m feeling that way about my Virus Shawl right now. Fingering weight yarn takes a long time to grow. :confused:

I have a shawl on the needles right now that I wish I’d stopped after the 3rd repeat. It’s going to be huge and I’m feeling pretty done with it! The thing is, I’m using a gradient and really want to get to the darkest part. I’m actually knitting per pattern except that I went up in needle size to get through some of the extra yardage I have. Only 20 rows to go, but they are very long rows. Also, it’s a beautiful pattern that I purchased before the R announcement and the designer posted in support, so I’m not happy about that which is probably affecting my wanting to work on the shawl.

ETA: I set it aside to make a baby cardi for a friend’s new grandson. I’ll probably get back to the shawl tomorrow and hopefully will feel better about it. It really is a pretty pattern.

Many times! I start getting impatient with those asymmetrical shawls that grow so quickly in the beginning and then take forever towards the end. Also sleeves…

Twinity. It started with 7 stitches, and ended with over 600. The last few rows took all evening to knit just one. But it was sooo worth it!

4A0B3E4F-4796-445E-B619-BFF1F26589A2.jpeg

I can’t even begin to contemplate 600 - just 315 is making my eyes roll into the back of my head. But, wow, that is gorgeous - well worth the effort for sure.

Focus on the lovely yarn, and the gorgeous shawl you’ll have when you’re finished. I generally never remember who the designer is of the patterns I knit, but always remember the joy I had using special yarn and having a lovely FO when done. Hope you feel better about it tomorrow!

Absolutely stunning! Who was the designer?

@Amore Google search says Anne-Lise Maigaard

This is absolutely stunning!

That’s stunning!

Yes, I can certainly relate to this. Corner-to-corner blankets. You start out with one tiny stitch, or may 2 or 3 depending on the pattern, but no more, and off you go. The blanket get quite big quite quickly, then the rows get longer, and slower, and longer, and slower … whose idea was this anyway? It is like riding a bicycle up a hill! Then you get to the middle of the blanket/top of the hill and - wheeee! - downhill getting faster and faster and suddenly it is all over and it was all worth it :slight_smile:

I am not a teenage boy, but I want one of those t-shirts! That is my kind of humour, too.

I agree, sometimes something is funny because it’s wrong.

Anne-Lise Maagaird is one of my favorite designers and this has been on my list of things to do.

Oh, it’s interesting to revisit this thread from four years ago! Crafting projects can be a true test of patience, and I hope you’ve managed to conquer that shawl with 275 stitches and 40 more increases. :blush: