Digital Knitting Pattern Organization

Hi! :cherries:

After leaving the other place, and now that I feel like knitting again :blush:, I needed to sort my digital knitting patterns not only by project type (which are in folders), but also by yarn weight.
I decided to make the yarn weight first in the file name. I am slowly going through and renaming them all this way, and I think it will be a great help when I am choosing a pattern. If I have a fingering yarn I want to work with, it will be much easier to find a pattern without having to use a separate software, at least for now.

Maybe this will help someone else in this transition.

This photo is a partial screenshot of my Scarf/Cowl folder – I apologize that it is so large, the small and medium sizes were unreadable.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:24860}[/ATTACH]

Good plan!

Thank you @JanD :cherries:

You look very organized. I noticed that the market place here is getting a little better organized. I would like to see more brioche shawl patterns sold here.

Thanks! I think I’m going to like it!
Have a good day! :cherries:

Thank you Michelle. I don’t know if I am really that organized or just desperate for a quicker way to search my patterns, but I think this will be the ticket for now.
I have not yet tried brioche – I know it is very popular!

Great idea! I have all of mine in folders on Google Drive according to what the patterns are for, but this looks more usable!

Thanks so much. I think I’m going to like it!
Have a good day! :cherries:

Has anyone tried the iPhone app myKnitting for project documentation? It seems to look pretty nice but wondered what others thought about it before I get it.

I was using the ebook software Calibre to organize my PDF patterns, but now I’m moving towards storing them in my project/stash notebook on Notion.

If anyone is interested in either solution, there are details for Calibre here and Notion here!

[QUOTE=knitwillow;n24859]Hi! :cherries:

After leaving the other place, and now that I feel like knitting again :blush:, I needed to sort my digital knitting patterns not only by project type (which are in folders), but also by yarn weight.
I decided to make the yarn weight first in the file name. I am slowly going through and renaming them all this way, and I think it will be a great help when I am choosing a pattern. If I have a fingering yarn I want to work with, it will be much easier to find a pattern without having to use a separate software, at least for now.

Maybe this will help someone else in this transition.

This photo is a partial screenshot of my Scarf/Cowl folder – I apologize that it is so large, the small and medium sizes were unreadable.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:24860}[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Great idea! Is this being saved in MSWord? Excel? on your own computer? on this site? Sorry, I’m a bit illiterate when it comes to this stuff but appreciate your sharing a good idea.

Hi! It is on Word documents on my computer. It seemed the simplest solution for me personally without starting all over with a separate software. Hope that helps.
Have a good day!:cherries:

@knitwillow: Thanks for the reply. I think for me, it will work better in Excel as I am most familiar with spread sheets. But it’s a great idea never the less. Thanks for sharing it.

I would be more comfortable with Excel myself. I’d probably use the same markers as knitwillow (weight, project type, project name), but apply them to columns rather than to the file name. It would be sortable and filterable. The only difficulty would be that the files themselves would be stored separately from the Excel index.I think it would be easier to choose a project this way though. You could have fields for designer name, last project made using that pattern, and brief pattern notes.

I use Evernote for organizing my digital life – I have mixed feelings about storing things to the cloud but I can download certain notebooks to be stored and available offline. Using tags to organize yarn weights, types of knits (sweater, cowl, socks, etc.) really helps, and then I also include the designers name and pattern name in the title itself. Definitely not for everyone but it’s a bit more organized for me than sorting directly in folders.

Is there any way we could get thumbnails of the patterns if pictures are available? A program maybe? That would be wonderful.