December 2022

@Shauna825 I just noticed your crafting in the stash busting thread.

I love your stash. Have you considered showing what you bought on your YouTube videos? I know people love to watch ‘unboxings’.

Also…what is the name of the hat you are wearing in the last picture. The one where you have beautiful glasses on? I love that color combo.

2 Likes

I too would like the charity thread useful again. We might just want to start a new “channel” if we can’t get the other one working again.

2 Likes

Gift FO’s finally pressed and wrapped

6 Likes

Can someone please check the charity group and see if it is working now?

Yes! I just created a place for 2023 donations, thank you to whomever fixed the problem. @hereami the charity channel is now behaving.

5 Likes

What did you do? :exploding_head: I was stumped on that one, and couldn’t reproduce it locally.

1 Like

I have started a new series called State of the Stash. At the beginning of each month I show what I aquired and what I used up (finished projects) and also tell the difference in the amount in grams. I only have two of these videos so far but I’m hoping 2023 will have more months where I use more than I buy. That’s the goal anyway.

The minis hat is called Full of Minis by Barbara of Knitting I Love. I’m really enjoying it and thoroughly enjoying using up so many minis! Next up is one for my husband to use up some of the more masculine minis I have.

4 Likes

Wow…that’s a lot of stitching.
They look fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Those are all so cute. I got my daughter a set of transfers because she wants to learn to embroider. Did you make your own towels or buy them?

1 Like

These are all SO cute, I love them! I have 2 embroidered kitchen towels from my grandmother and one from my great-aunt and love them all. I’m sure these will be treasured by the recipients. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Today was insane at my house! My son and daughter-in-law just told us on Saturday that not only will they be able to come for Christmas this year, they will be here from this Wednesday until Monday evening. I am thrilled, but that means we have to move stuff around so there is a place for them to sleep. Added to that stress, we have been keeping an eye out for a car to replace my van because it was on its last legs about 18 months ago and has gotten to the point where it will cost more to fix than to just replace. We found a small SUV on Facebook Marketplace and it worked out, so we went and picked it up this morning. My son and I combined our savings to buy it, so it is the first car that can really be called “his” and he is thrilled. (He may not look it in the picture, but seriously, this is excited for him! :joy: )

I got to spend the rest of the morning getting the registration and insurance and all that fun stuff taken care of. I had intended to make Christmas cookies today but because I got such a late start I could only do one batch. I started to cream the butter when my stand mixer appeared to seize up! I quickly realized it wasn’t the machine, but one of the beaters had somehow gotten bent and caused the other one to bend so they were jammed together. My brother was unable to fix it, so I have to find new beaters, but fortunately, I have a hand mixer and was able to make the first batch of cookies with that.

Eggnog meltaways were one of my mom’s favorites but I haven’t made them in years. I remembered them being pretty (covered in powdered sugar and sprinkled with fresh nutmeg how could they not be?) but I had forgotten how yummy they are! Half of my kitchen still looks like a minor explosion happened, but I got the majority of the mess cleaned up and the cookies packed up so they will be ready to pack up with the others I will make tomorrow. And now, I am going to watch Jingle All the Way and get some rest!

5 Likes

Glad you found a car that works for you. Our cars are both on their last legs and I will be looking for something that will seat 6 or 7 people. When we took the 4 oldest grands to the play this weekend we had to use 2 cars since neither of our cars seats more than 5 and the three in the back can’t be too big :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my word! A couple of my men do this same happy face. I have to sneak up if I want to catch a real smile.
Congratulations on the new car. Mine is sneaking up on 330K miles.

I love eggnog and am interested in trying these cookies. Does this recipe look similar? I normally just heat up a small cup of eggnog and sip it. (no alcohol or added seasonings)
https://www.shamrockfarms.net/recipe/eggnog-meltaway-cookies/

2 Likes

It has some similarities but it is not identical. My mom’s didn’t have cornstarch and she used blanched almonds that she processed with the powdered sugar that went into the cookies, but I found that almond flour makes them MUCH easier to make. If you want the recipe, I shared it over in Ilvermorny’s Winter Wonderland Games. It is a bit more involved than something like basic drop cookies, but not any more than doing any kind of rolled cookies, IMO. Today I will be making gingerbread brownies with eggnog frosting and my favorite rye chocolate chip cookies, which are to die for! :drooling_face:

1 Like

I’ve had a minivan since the early 2000s and had big 4-door sedans before that. I only have 2 kids, but I was always carting around friends and stuff so it made sense. Now it is usually just me and my youngest, sometimes 1 or 2 others so we decided to get something smaller (and more gas efficient), but it needed to be high enough for me to easily get into and out of as RA makes it hard for me to get down into a low car. This was great on both and I think it is probably the smallest car I’ve ever owned in my life, but it’s quite nice.

1 Like

The cookies look yummy!

You’ll probably love having the small SUV. I had a mini van and then a Honda Pilot which is a bigger SUV. I now have a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. It seats 5 and has a nice amount of space in back. I can fit my Costco shopping trips back there, including the big dog food bags. I love that the back is higher than a trunk. I can manage getting a 40 lb bag of dog food or a big bag of potting soil from the cart and into the back. Fortunately, I have helpers at home for unloading and carting away.

You’ll also enjoy how much easier it is to park a smaller car!

1 Like

My son is already loving it. He has never volunteered to drive so much in his life! It is great for getting things into and out of and we got the two of us and both my brothers (both are over 6’ and built like linebackers) into the car and no one felt overly squashed. So it already looks like it’s going to work well. And it uses SO much less gas than the van did! :money_with_wings: :palm_up_hand:

2 Likes

FO Wednesday, because I’m just a rebel like that. :stuck_out_tongue: The finished tea cozy and hot pad, cinched with a bronze trim from somewhere in the depths of the ribbon box. I still haven’t looked up my notes on the yarn, but I do know it’s a cabled Aran weight, four ply, done all on a Turkish spindle.

Back to a WIP, Fezziwig is washed and dried, awaiting button band reinforcement and the buttons themselves.

7 Likes

I’m crocheting at night and baking during the day. I’ve finished 4 Pokemon balls for my grandson. I think I can get a few more done. I’ll post a picture when I’m all done.

Today I (actually the bread machine) made dough for white bread that went into the freezer and then I made dough for dark rye bread. I prefer the taste of baking it in the oven. Tonight’s rye will be baked in a cast iron Dutch oven. I made a wheat loaf in the Dutch oven and the crust was awesome.

I also dug out my old electric cookie press and made cheese straws. That was fun and they are delicious. Then I baked a batch of Magic Cookies (graham cracker crumbs and butter topped with chocolate chips, pecans and shredded coconut with sweetened condensed milk poured over the top). Those are my daughter’s favorite. My husband is sad because I keep putting all the goodies away. If I let him start eating them now, there won’t be anything left for our company next week.

Now I have a pile of dishes to get through :(.

4 Likes

My rye bread!

3 Likes