August 2023 Chatter

I have (almost) finished with my second exploding heart top. I am going to put a small border on it so I don’t lose too many points. I don’t have the fabric with me though. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

It is a Moby Sweater by petiteknit

2 Likes

The pattern is Mobby Sweater by petiteknit. It is really quick knit because I don’t need to use additional needle for the arans so often (every tenth row for the side braids). I also use 4.5 mm needles which is quite unusual for me.

2 Likes

Wow. So beautiful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I won the Sweepstakes award at my garden club’s Flower & Garden Show. This award is given to the person with the most points. Points are earned by getting 1st, 2nd or 3rd in each class and then bigger points for getting Best of Class. I won seven Best of Class. I won Best of Class in the Artistic category! I entered my herb themed, embroidered towels and a pink tulip stained glass panel that I hang in the garden. My towels got a first place in the Hobby category and my glass panel won Best of Class for the Artistic category.

I grow lots of herbs and I won Best of Class for my Collection of Herbs arrangement. It’s now my tabletop decoration.

10 Likes

Did you get much rain out of this storm? We are only getting an occasional drizzle. Highly disappointing.

1 Like

Way to go, Laurel!

2 Likes

No, only a bit…like you. The river is higher. So they must have decided to let more water out of the Dams as a precaution.
I did enjoy the wind and the clean air. I was able to walk about 5-6 miles yesterday without loosing my breath and feeling horrible. (my normal for around here is about 2)

Garden is slowing down here. We did plant another crop of green zucchini a while back Hoping to get a few more before the weather changes over to more wintery conditions.

We have taken out some of our plants that stopped producing and are getting that ground ready to plant potatoes and garlic. (Sept/October)

Don’t know if you all take much stock in watching what the animals are doing to help predict the weather. The resident squirrels are stealing Fuju persimmons out of the tree already. The fruit is green and hard and not tasty at all. We normally harvest the fruit in November.

2 Likes

Good morning and happy WIP Wednesday!!! I finally finished the second quilt top for the guild quilt show next month. Both quilts are off for quilting. Cutting it close.

I’m trying to recover physically and emotionally from a retreat last weekend. It was with the QFK retreat. I won’t be returning to the group. The director has really been treating me poorly and I can find other places to donate to. It kinda started when I had other quilts to make (graduation and wedding) and had to pull back from QFK. Many snide comments about our priorities not being aligned. And it went down hill from there.

Anyway - I have found other outlets :slight_smile: that will be happy to have my quilts.

After work today I’ll be trying to tidy up my sewing room and decide on my next quilt. :slight_smile: Probably a smaller wedding quilt for my uncle.

Hope this finds you well!

2 Likes

That’s terrible, I’m so sorry they treated you that way! There are definitely MANY places that will be happy to receive your beautiful quilts and there is no need to be treated that way.

I have been working on small items to be sold at my upcoming family reunion (all funds raised go to defray the costs of the next reunion) so I’ve been making a bunch of hats, headbands, and small toys. These little candy corn rats are my favorites. They are quick and easy to make and I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback from parents and kids alike. I may make a few bigger ones, but I’ll have to check whether I have any of the right sized safety eyes because they don’t look as cute with duplicate stitch eyes.

7 Likes

They are cute!!

2 Likes

No wonder! It’s subtle and neutral and cozy and light but warm.

2 Likes

So sad when people involved in a charitable cause can’t treat other volunteers with kindness and respect. Isn’t QFK a national group? Is there another chapter you can work with? Would you consider reporting her to the national organization? She does not sound like a good chapter coordinator.

2 Likes

Oh my that quilt is next level gorgeous.

2 Likes

Happy Belated WIP Wed!

I’m working on a cowl that was originally written in brioche, but while researching and learning the stitches I came across the fisherman’s rib which was super easy and looks very similar, so that’s what I’m doing! (With help from the dog - that’s his paw in the pic)

6 Likes

I believe she is the only one in the state. :frowning: There are things that are against company rules too…. I’m going to let myself cool down some and go from there.

Today I’m going to work on tackling the mess in my sewing room. And sew some I am sure. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A friend came by this morning, took me to lunch and said “hey - you wanna try”……

And we did!

My first quilting appliqué

6 Likes

So cute!

2 Likes

My Friday FOs
1 Grey Cardigan
Pattern is Champagne Cardigan by Petiteknit
Yarn is Lanecardate 25% Angora 75% Superfine Merino Wool
Needles: 3.75 mm, 3.25 mm
Weight: approx 600 g

2 Onesie for daughter
Yarn Hand dyed 100 % merino wool + 2 threads of mohair blend yarn.
A few months ago, I attempted to dye the merino wool using avocado peels, but it did not work out. The resulting color was too dark and dull, resembling dirt. Consequently, I re-dyed it using Easter egg dyes, but I still failed to achieve the desired color. As a result, I concealed this undesired shade by adding mohair yarn, which turned out well.
Needles 3.75 mm, 3.5 mm

4 Likes

I have had a rather productive week this week! I remembered that I promised my aunt I would bring some things to sell at our “country store” to raise money for our next family reunion, so I have been working on stuff for that. I have 3 baby/toddler double DK scrap hats, an adult DK scrap hat, 2 candy corn rats, and 1 cabled pumpkin. I still have more stuff to make, some more pumpkins, maybe some more rats, definitely some more hats, and maybe some headbands too!

7 Likes