August 2021 Sock KAL - CHAT

Oh, I think they are really great! I do like the color combination with the black. It would have been lacking something without the black.

Thanks, D (@DJM) I’m trying to take it easy!

I love these. love the blue myself :slight_smile:

I think it’s awesome. Sophisticated and modern.

These are going to be fun! I hope you’re feeling better soon.

The black does add a lot to the pattern.

What a difference the other color makes! I found yarn in my stash that I most definitely consider UGLY. I don’t know who thought that combining magenta (I know it looks like a more brick red in the pic, but trust me, it is a pinkish-purple magenta!) with olive green and baby-poop yellow was a good idea, but whoever it was should be taken out and shot for this colorway! None of the pictures I managed to get can do justice to how horrible this color combo is to me. When I first started, I used a gorgeous, very dark purple for the contrasting color, and just didn’t like them together, so I couldn’t get into working on the socks. I finally decided that if I hated working on knitting the socks this much, I most certainly wouldn’t ever wear the horrible things and frogged the whole thing. I had almost determined to just not try to make the ugly socks when I came across this lovely chocolate brown tweed yarn in a box while looking for something else entirely. I started working on the Ugly Duckling pattern with the ugly yarn and the chocolate brown and fell in love! The brown makes the horrible magenta/olive/baby-poop color actually look pretty and I can’t wait to finish these socks! I don’t know if I will have both of them done on time, but at least the finished socks will be ones I’ll actually want to wear!

The first picture is the ugly yarn, keep in mind, I don’t think the picture does its ugliness justice. The second is the ugly yarn with the purple, again, the picture doesn’t really capture its ugliness. The third is the ugly yarn with the beautiful brown that almost makes the ugly yarn look like stained glass, it’s so pretty!

Ugly Yarn 1.jpg

UGLY Ugly Sock.jpg

Pretty Ugly Sock.jpg

It doesn’t look ugly in the purple picture but it looks really warm and nice with the brown. I love the Ugly Duckling pattern. It is so perfect for ugly yarn.

It really is a great pattern! I wish the first version’s pic came out better. I used the flash and it washed the colors out a lot. In reality, the deep, rich plum solid was really close to the same as the darkest magenta of the ugly yarn at the top by the cuff, and then when the ugly yarn got to the yellow the solid purple and the greenish-yellow were just a vomitous combination. The warm brown is definitely a much better choice for the solid color. I really like the solid purple yarn, but I only have about 70 grams of it, so I’ll probably either find something it combines with better or make some shorties out of it.

I find I have to take my pictures in natural light to get accurate colors. My full spectrum craft light (like an Ott lamp) does bad things to colors.

Yep, I use the “warmer” old-fashioned lightbulbs because I have photosensitivity due to Lupus, but they don’t do colors any favors when taking pictures. I never thought of just taking stuff outside to get better pics of the colors, I’ll have to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

One more day to get your ugly socks posted!

I’m never going to get my second sock finished. Between a sick dog making messes and harvesting garden produce, I’m not getting a lot of knitting done. Carly, the sick dog, is going to the vet today.

This does look beautiful.

I have two pair on the needles already in the same beautiful blue yarn so I don’t know if I’ll get arnd to any ugly yarn. I started the one pair a couple of months ago before my world turned topsy-turvy and have just been knitting a couple rows here and there whenever I could calm my spirit enough to do it. But I’m getting back to my normal self lately and today I went off to the next town for the morning and grabbed the wrong bag. So I had the second skein of yarn instead of the started socks so… I started the second pair! I promised my daughter I would try to get two pairs for her from this yarn since it’s her favorite color so it isn’t wasted effort at all. If I really get going and end up starting a third pair I’ll look for some “ugly yarn” although I’ll have to look for advice as I just usually get rid of anything I find to be ugly. :laughing:
[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 20210801_191149.jpg Views: 13 Size: 186.6 KB ID: 107204”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“107204”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

I was actually thinking that helical would be a way to use up some yarn you weren’t crazy about. :smiley: Or a random stripes pattern. It really depends on what it is that makes the yarn ugly to you. Sometimes adding texture can disguise a less than appealing colorway. But i guess mostly i just figure life is too short to knit with yarn i don’t love. :upside_down_face: But i do like the idea of having ways on hand to use the ones you don’t like as much in a way that you still end up with socks you love.

@KnitsWithHorses I’m with you, life is too short. I don’t have any ugly yarn :grinning::grinning:

Those look like exactly the kind of colors my 24-year-old son would pick for himself! I don’t care for them together very much, but I can see that our sons seem to have similar taste! :smile:

There’s a pair of socks in the new Knitty that fits in perfectly with this theme. :grin:

They are actually beautiful socks. Stranded colorwork.
https://knitty.com/ISSUEff21/PATTsoc…sockpuppet.php