August 2021 Sock KAL - CHAT

I love the pattern and colors in the “ugly” yarn! I had to go back and forth a couple of times to convince myself that the skein you posted was this same yarn. lol In the new selection all I can see is my BRONCOS colors!!! I use that combination a LOT. :smiley:

I just found this Pixel Stitch sock pattern that looks like it could be a great way to disguise ugly yarn, as you use two different yarns and alternate yarns every other stitch around each row. It looks really cool, but I haven’t decided if I’m going to try it myself right now or not, as it is toe-up with a provisional cast on, neither of which I have tried yet. Whether I decide to try it myself or not, I decided to share it with you guys in case someone else wants to try it.

https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/06/22/pixel-stitch-socks/

I’m looking at patterns and have come across another potentially useful pattern for ugly yarn. I could see this one being really cute if you can find the right solid color to go with your ugly yarn.

https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/zigzag-socks-knitting-pattern-by-sandra-jager

@Nyssareen - those are both really cute patterns. I especially like the Pixel stitch one.

I kept coming across more cool patterns I wanted to share, so I decided to stop posting them one by one until I think I’m done looking!

This one uses at least 3 different yarns and is more of a stitch design that can be applied to any basic sock pattern to use up odds and ends of leftover sock yarn.
https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/navajo-goulash-socks-knitting-pattern-by-jane-nelson

This one is pretty basic and just makes stripes, which could be useful in the right circumstances. I am considering doing this pattern, I just have to try my ugly yarn with a couple different solid colors to see how they work together.
https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/stiallach-socks-knitting-pattern-by-amanda-shuttermonkey

Last one for today! This is one I most definitely won’t be trying myself because I don’t like long socks, I prefer anklets. But this could really work given the right color to accent the ugly yarn.
https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-us/p/em-dash-socks-in-cascade-heritage-and-heritage-paints-fw103

Okay, so I’ve obviously found quite a few interesting patterns, but I really want to try the Ugly Duckling pattern. I have searched high and low, and upon deciding that it was only available on Ravelry, I finally broke down and went there, only to discover that it’s not available there anymore either! The pattern designer has closed her Ravelry shop and stated that none of her patterns are available anymore. I’ve tried to find out if she’s made them available anywhere else, but have come up with nothing. So does anyone have any ideas where else I might find it? Or did we ever figure out the rules on sharing free patterns in the group?

I looked and it looks like she has an instagram account and a facebook presence maybe you could contact here there?

I finally finished my April Socks, so I can start my August Ugly Socks! I’m trying to downsize, so I am not putting in for any prize on these.
Toe-up, plain with a gusset heel. Helical Knit with 3 colors. KP Stroll hand-dyed and Premier Sock Hand-dyed.

​​​​ ​

IMG_0430.JPG

Love the stripes!!

Thanks, @DJM. It was a little brutal.

I love the colors!

I’ve checked FB and Instagram and found quite a few Karin Aidas but have no idea which one is her. There are lots of people who have put her name in a hashtag when they’ve made her patterns, but I haven’t been able to track any of them to a specific account. I’ll keep looking though!

You could just go with the general idea of the mosaic pattern on the top of the foot and stripes on the bottom and design your own duckling. There’s a website with several free mosaic in the round stitch instructions. Or if you don’t mind converting from flat to in-the-round there’s quite a few more. I’ll find it and post the link…

@KnitsWithHorses That’s a good idea. Looking at the pictures it doesn’t look too incredibly complex. I’ve done some mosaic in the round when I made soap sacks, so I’m sure I could manage that. Thanks!

I started my Ugly Socks last night but then started having bad tendonitis-like pain in the left hand. They are going to be thick, so shouldn’t take long, but I don’t know if I should even be thinking about trying to knit. Maybe for a few minutes at a time. But I have started de-cluttering my yarn stash, so that is something. At least I get to play with yarn. Today I looked at my dishcloth cotton stash. I have one of those big cheese ball containers with a bunch of odd balls and I bet I could make quite a few dishcloth/washcloths with what I have. My goal is to make a few for my Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. :slight_smile:

Here is the ugly yarn I’m using as the MC and the first carrying color.

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

I hope your hand feels better soon.

I still don’t like the blue that my son chose to go with the orange and teal but I think the black stripes really help. It will have black heels and toes too.

92432CC3-B24E-4162-8FF4-CF736DA197C2.jpeg

You are giving him what he asked for, so hope he is happy!

@DJM - he loves them!

I like em!