2021 Stashbusting MAL Guide & Chat

I don’t have a computer at the moment so I’d have to print the spreadsheet and keep it by hand. Not sure if I would realistically do that. I may give it a try since hopefully I’ll replace my computer for my birthday in February. I did get most of my yarn entered into the Skeinkind database though.

@KnitsWithHorses My spreadsheet is on google docs, so you can access it on your phone with Google Drive ! You don’t need a computer, just access to a browser, which is what you are using to post on fiberkind with, so you have what you need! I’d be happy to share my spreadsheet with you, or you can make one for your own specifications :slight_smile: google spreadsheets is easy to use.

Question:

Say I have a project (or several) that I am working on finishing this week. Since they were started in 2020, does it count in this Stashbuster if they are finished in 2021 ?

I would say as long as you didn’t count the yarn in 2020 go ahead and count in 2021.

Personally, I count balls/skeins of yarn when they are used up not when the project is finished. So if a project takes 3 skeins, I count those skeins as I use them and if a project takes less than a skein I don’t count until it is all used up. Any other way and I’d just confuse myself.

I have completed the blanket for my daughter and finished a washcloth. Where can I go to post my 3 points? I will take pictures soon to post.

Good morning! We will have a new thread for you to post points each week on Saturday. You just keep track of you points each week and post one time on Saturday. :slight_smile:

I usually use a “note” on my phone to keep track of used and gained skeins. I hope this helps!

Until then, here is the spot for pictures and various chatter :slight_smile:

I’m curious what MAL stands for.

When a project is started or completed isn’t considered. If you used the yarn in the current week, then it gets counted. This week consists of 12/27/2020 through 01/02/2021.

MAL - Make A Long

It is less cumbersome than CAL/KAL/LAL Crochet, Knit, Loom, plus whatever else qualifies

I am going to try a new way of tracking this year. I purchased a big, desktop calendar, and I will be noting crafting progress on that. I want to see if this works better than a planner.

Thank you!

I had learned how to do the C2C stitch a while back. So far I only know how to increase. I decided to keep increasing until I got to a shawl size. I gave this shawl away today…hours after I finished it. woo hoo!
I used all stash yarn. And most of it I have already counted.
All I have to get points for is the burgundy skein. (+2)
As a way to pass the remainder along I put the burgundy as well as a couple of other odd balls of yarn in a zip lock bag with a plastic crochet hook. I wrote a small note telling the receiver basic information. And inviting them to try to crochet this year. I left the whole thing inside a little library neighborhood box. I included a picture… There isn’t much yarn would it be ok to claim (+1) for the odd balls?

Resized_20201231_130735.jpeg

Resized_20201231_123451.jpeg

Resized_20201231_123441.jpeg

it is so fun to frog a project that’s not going well (or never going to happen) and get “new” yarn!

Love the shawl. It looks great. I also love that you put the balls and a hook in a little library. I hope to have a little library in front of my house soon, my husband is building it for me, but he takes a while to do things like that. So I wait :slight_smile:

I’m new to this stashbusting, but the way I understand it you would get +1 for each of the little balls that you gave away. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but the way I read it a partial skein used up is +1, and each of those balls is a separate partial skein. :slight_smile:

My understanding would be that you can claim a point for each ball unless you already claimed 2 pts for the skein.

@Joxgirl A lot of us keep track of our WTD and YTD prices in our signature area. (week-to-date and year-to-date)

I’m in. My goal is to knit as least 8 kg of yarn and finish year with positive result:yarn:

I’m in. Making lots of progress on my NotSocksAfterAll Shawl–supposed to be a gift for Christmas for my mother-in-law–thankfully, she is patient! (Need to post a photo–hve had a lot of trouble trying to upload photos here)

Have you seen this post:

https://fiberkind.com/forum/new-members-start-here/42990-posting-tips?p=42995#post42995

If you have and still need help, please send me a PM and I’ll help! :slight_smile:

Thank you.