#1 - Tunisian Simple Stitch - TSS

Very nice!

Very nice! I like the yarn you chose.

It looks very pretty with that vibrant blue.

Looks great! If there is a way to avoid the curling edge hopefully we’ll learn about it because back when I was doing this technique regularly (over 30 years ago!) I never figured that out! I would do an edging or trim to make it lie flat. I also frequently lined it with fabric. Lol I never knew anything other than this stitch though. I’m excited to learn beyond the Simple Stitch!

I like your color choice.

So I don’t know what pulling your stitches to the top and not stopping at the front means. And how do you know how many sizes to go up? I know the rule of thumb is 2 but what do you look at to tell if that’s enough?

Well I’m going to have some curling until I learn the purl stitch on week 3. But I also seem to remember going up an additional hook size helped give that first pass some extra room. Is that not the case?

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I started another square using a 5.5mm and I think with the larger hook I am pulling the hook to the top of my work. Time will tell as I get a few more rows done. @TexasPurl thank you so for helping me along this process. It is awesome that you can look at a picture and help me.

My latest square attempt. :fk:

DSCN6109.JPG

Wow, that Brava Sport is so pretty with your stitching! Do you like the feel of that fabric better?

Yes!! If I had a thin cotton and wanted a dense dishcloth I would probably use the smaller hook. You are a wonderful inspiration and teacher. Thanks for all your help!!
PS. I forget to say how much fun I’m having.

Looks really good! Pretty color.

Finished my TSS. I used Knit Picks Stroll fingering weight yarn “Spectacular Speckles” and a size H/8-5.0mm hook from my Knitter’s Pride Dreamz Interchangeable crochet hook set. 30 stitches. The square has been blocked and the finished size is 5-1/2". I may (or not) put a crochet border on my squares. Looking forward to next week’s stitch!

IMG_2972.JPG

I love the speckles!! Well done. I hope mine comes out as nice.

It is nearly time for me to go stash diving - I’m hoping to bring whatever masks I have done tomorrow or Wednesday for the start of school, and my needles are on the way - I suspect they’ll be here just in time for me to start. :slight_smile:

Your square is beautiful!

My TSS square is finished. The yarn is Bernat Baby Sport, the color doesn’t show up well, it is a pastel peach. I used an H hook, and chained 30 to begin. Squares are about 7-1/4”.

@TexasPurl, I do have a question - do your sample squares have a border, or is that what yours look like with just the TSS? My edges don’t look the same as yours. Also, I did use one size larger hook for the initial chains, but it ended up wider than the rest of the square. So I think I will just use the same size needle. Please let me know if you think my stitches are too tight or loose.

408DFD23-4CAD-4C80-B0D5-2B1E654E84C7.jpeg

Looks very nice. I’m working on getting my edges neater but yours look great!

Pretty! I love those colors!

Yes ma’am, you have those edges down! Great work. It’s pretty.

Nice! I do like that yarn and your stitching is so neat. I’m going to have to practice!