Welcome to Shave 'Em to Save 'Em (SE2)

@JenC with the Southdown that I got from a local person (non-SE2SE), the only way I could get hold of the 1-1/2 inch fibers was to pull out locks (after washing) and very carefully flick both ends (not easy) and lay the locks on my finest hand cards (120 tpi) and card them, then roll the wool off between two wooden knitting needles, making a fairly small diameter rolag, then spinning supported longdraw on the wheel and also on a supported spindle. Once I got going, this was extremely fun because of how incredibly stretchy the fiber was.

Sounds to me like spinning dog hair. Inch worm spin works best for dog hair. Sounds like it would work for the Southdown. Rolags will probably also work. I might just skip that one. LOL

@JenC YES!!

@JenC How kind! I’ll PM you his address as soon as I get it. He’s finally found an apartment and I neglected to get the address so I’ll get it tomorrow and pm it to you. I think size 8 needles and worsted weight yarn for now for him. Till he learns.

Sayens Crochet has the pattern. It’s a crochet unicorn that is about 5" tall inside a crocheted egg. I’ll post a picture here when I finish it.

Welcome Kinterested!! I think I’ve seen your posts on FB I’m Linda G there.

It’s like Christmas every month.

Yes, for sure, inchworm too. I did not have a way to make roving at the time, so rolags were my easiest route to take. I have to say that it was very fun to spin the Southdown once I got it carded - the texture was so soft and bouncy.

@JenC these are the fibers I’ve spun so far.
Hog Island - The Ross Farm thumbs up;
Cotswold - K Miller - thumbs up for the fiber - this one was challenging to spin, it was difficult to draft;
Leicester Longwool - Belle Forche Farm/Antique Sheep - thumbs up, my favorite until I began the CVM
CMV - E Sakornbut/Fiber Curio thumbs up, I’m loving this fiber!

@JenC, I’m fine with it being this way for now unless we need a way to make different categories under this topic. In hindsight, one of the benefits of having a group is like having your own mini-forum on a certain topic, with sub-forums underneath. For example if you wanted to have a Group for SE2SE, and wanted to have several different threads going, i.e., one for sources of fiber and maybe separate threads for working with different breeds of fiber or maybe one for the logistics, like signing up, claiming prizes, etc., then you could do that. Whereas here they are all in 1 thread and it could get a bit cumbersome after a while. For now, it’s not terribly long, but if you’d like to do that,we can. You make the call! I think we will likely do something like this for our next year’s Spin de Fleece, to keep it orderly and not so strung out.

LOL–no comments posted, but 4 Likes so far–everyone is cringing for you!

@JenC, that is so kind of you! I’ll ask her if she’d like to increase her stash–she’s on a somewhat limited budget right now, so I’ll see if she’d like some sizes.

@rkennell I realized it as i pulled the last batt out of the bag and it caught. I froze, carefully picked up the bag and every so gentle removed the wool from the Velcro. Won’t do that again. LOL

Wow, having a bag with Velcro would be a challenge! Glad you got it and thanks for sharing so the rest of us don’t make the same mistake if we happen to have a bag like that.

Gulf Coast Native finished. It was a dream to spin. Minimum Vm in it and very little neps. Spun up soft and springy and, for some odd reason, even though I spun almost the same weight on both GCN and Florida Cracker, I ended up with an extra ball.

se2seor.jpg

@Carlota Thanks for the tips! I love rolags and just got a new piece of leather for flicking so I’ll try that!

@rkennell I think it would be great to have a group with mini-forums. I can see where, otherwise, it could get so crazy. I can’t imagine being new to OU, coming into this thread and trying to read endlessly. Way to turn someone off… lol.

YAY! I see some destashing in my near future. What a relief!

Sounds sweet!!

oh my!!! I would be freaking out! I’m glad it all turned out well!