Welcome to Shave 'Em to Save 'Em (SE2)

Ahhh, okay. I purchased Gulf Coast Native from Dove’s Roost in Florida, My Florida Cracker came from Celeste Auvil, my Santa Cruz came from Blue Oak Canyon Ranch owned by Lynn Moody. That’s all the farther I’ve gotten.

Works for me. Right now, I’m spinning the SE2SE challenge, starting a KAL with some FB friends and making two unicorns in eggs and 3 dinosaurs in eggs. Maybe after Christmas? Oh, also forgot I’ve got two dog fur projects that I’m getting ready to start. Yeah, I’m retired.

I’ve seen the reduction in following some of the spinners on FB. I’m going to wait till I’ve completed the challenge, then order, maybe a pound of a raw fleece from one of the providers that skirts and does a basic cleaning.

@rkennell if you could see my sewing room, you’d wonder why in the world I’d want to make more yarn. When my mom passed, I inherited all her yarn and she was a yarn hoarder. She bought high quality yarn by the box and stored it for 'when she would need it" But I love to spin so here I am, adding to the stash. LOL

Yes, speaking from personal experience, having to skirt it from scratch takes a long time and does reduce it quite a bit. I sent my fleece off to a mill to get washed and combed since I wanted it ready to use. I spent quite a few hours picking it over before sending it off and since it was free, I didn’t mind spending a little bit (it was around 70 bucks, but I got back probably several pounds worth of washed and combed fleece in a very large box!

LOL–it would be hard to reduce if it was good quality yarn–I went through mine about a year ago and donated a ton of the cheap stuff and then this year, I got serious and got rid of some the better quality ones that I was hoping to sell on Ravelry, but since that didn’t work out, I’m going to try and sell it elsewhere. I am not even going to go back to that tub of yarn to look through it since I don’t want to change my mind! I did a whole-house declutter (Kon-mari style) and I was ready to be ruthless by the time I got to my yarn. However, for some reason, none of my spinning fiber made it to the donation pile…

That happened to me too - I ordered some random Horned Dorset right before learning about SE2SE! So there is that to work through twice. But the good thing is, it was the perfect prep for me to practice supported long draw, and that makes it go pretty fast. That is how I plan to spin some of the wools I order - since many of them will be carded rather than combed, I can practice various skills for spinning faster.

@rkennell I sorted and got rid of BUNCHES of yarn but I still have a lot of yarn. I let my girls go though when they come up and they take some with them. I tell them that “I had to find a place for all my mom’s stash, one day, it will be your turn.” LOL

@Carlota, both the Florida Cracker and the Gulf Coast Native are great with a modified long draw.

@LeoLady Oh that is good to know - I have both of those breeds ahead.

I need to learn the long draw–I’ve always been a short draw person. I’ll have to do some youtube videos for the modified long draw as well, I guess! I think I’m getting most of mine at this point already combed into top, but I want to try and keep them all natural colors as opposed to dyed, and maybe then I can put them into an afghan or something like that. @Carlota, what a bummer about just having bought some before you started!

LOL–That’s exactly why I’m going through my house and getting rid of stuff. We just did my in-law’s house and I don’t want my kids to have to have so much to get rid of someday! My husband will be working for at least a year, selling their stuff on Ebay because his mom was such a collector and some of it is actually worth selling, but it takes a lot of time and space in our basement! But my yarn and fiber can be donated if they don’t want it–I don’t want them to keep it out of sentimental reasons!

Yeah, mine are fighting over who gets what. LOL The oldest keeps reminding the other two that she has the power of attorney AND the key. It’s a fun argument that’s been going on for years. I also do counted cross stitch, crochet, knitting and needlepoint. Lots to “fight” over.

@rkennell I found a really short video on youtube that was really clear and I discovered that I was already doing a modified long draw. I’m pretty much self taught with a LOT of tips from @oldgoatwoman so did’t know a lot of the “techincal” terms. When I started looking things up, I loved the names (lazy Kate, Diz,). Since I’m a Thingamajig, kind of person my first thought was “These are MY people”.

How fun–apparently they enjoy fiber hobbies! My daughter is starting to get into crochet, so maybe by the time I’m gone, she’ll want my yarn. Our son probably wouldn’t care less at this point, although when he was a young kid he actually did knit for a while.

@rkennell My grandson, who is in minstry in Alaska has requested a care package of yarn and needles. Seems that a bunch of them knit up there so he wants to learn. Being staffed at a church plant, he’s not making much “extra” money so I’m supplying him with the requested package/

How neat

@rkennell Yeah, I was bummed at first about the duplication, but then I realized it would make a good comparison of fiber from two different sources. And the long draw has been worthwhile to practice (using different muscles is always a plus) and I can see taking advantage of carded preparations more often. Also, we like spinning, right? So no no big deal.

Thanks–I’ll check those out!

@Carlota–definitely!