Welcome, Shuttle Pilots! - Introductions

Welcome, welcome, @Kathy7661 , @Bettymo , @camelheights and @Floppy2! I’m glad everyone made their way over here. I’m just now logging in after a crazy-busy day at work and hoping to enjoy a little weaving time. I’m trying to get used to the new digs, too. I know @Admin has big plans and I’m excited to see how our home grows.

May I please join shuttles pilots?

I have been weaving for about eight years. I started on ridged heddle looms so I could use up my yarn stash from knitting. About five years back I used my inheritance to purchase a Saroi loom which I like the best. It’s name is Katy, in honor of my mother. Four years back I got a Schacht four shaft table loom on a stand that I call Shatzy (sweety in German). I haven’t really used Shatzy as much because she scares me.

I do have to confess that I am a bit scatter brained. In June I put a five yard warp on Katy, wound the bobbins in order since the yarn was variegated and I wanted the color to match up. When I went to get my boat-shuttles they had disappeared. I tore the room apart looking for them. Today I went to do some sewing and in the box of sewing thing were my shuttles. I am so happy but so embarrassed. Now I get to weave up the cotton that is on my loom and make the summer jacket with it in time for fall.

I can pilot a shuttle just not park it well.

LOL. You are too funny!!! Welcome to the group and enjoy your new project. We’d love to see pictures.

@Greennana Welcome to the group! My husband and I are always misplacing things and we usually find them when we’re looking for something else! We try hard to be organized but somehow it still happens! Have fun weaving up your cloth for your jacket and I hope to see some photos!

Hi. Nice to meet you. I can never find anything.

Welcome, @Greennana! I’m not going to say a word about anything in my house that may or may not go walkabout. Regularly.

What scares you about your table loom? Why the fear?

I just bought a 20 inch Schacht Flip and am waiting for the stand to be delivered. I’ve been weaving for over 20 years. I was lucky enough to have Nancy Hoskins as my teacher when we both worked for Lane Community College.
I fell in love with the vintage Structo looms and collected 3 of them. 2 tiny metal looms, both of which had been used in schools in the East, and my numbered Maple 4 shaft table loom.
The 2 shaft metal one is now in the Eugene Textile Center in a glass case. I still use the 4 shaft metal one for miniature and sample work. I have used the Maple table loom as a rigid heddle by taking the castle off.
It and the metal one have spools that can be rewound and a special hex rod to make them work. But, It is time for the Maple Loom to be passed down to the younger members of the family and it is too heavy for me to lift anymore. I bought it from Robin and Russ weavers in McMinnville not long before Russ died of cancer, so there is no way I would ever sell it.
I’m very interested in trying to make a 4 shaft cardboard loom that I found online the other day, and plan to make more rigid heddles with frames and fabric heddles. I I already have 4 commercial ones.
I’ve been doing fiber crafts for over 65 years, and none have ever bored me.

Hi crunchy! Fellow 20-inch Schacht Flip user here! I have long admired the Strutco looms that I see online once in a while. I have a 4-shaft project in the daydream department as I think how to use heddle rods and string heddles to weave it on the Flip. I might have to manufacture an 8-dent reed (all slots) to get it done. It is all interesting as you say. Always something new to try. I would love to have the 20-inch Louet Erica but for now, there is still a lot to explore on the RH. I find the Flip to be well made, sturdy, and the 20-inch is so easy to work around. I do not have the stand - I clamp to the dining room table. I hope you enjoy your stand.

Welcome to the group @crunchy ! I have a 15” Flip with stand that I like very much. A friend of mine just bought a 4 shaft wooden Structo loom at our annual Weavers’ Guild auction. It is going to require some work (cosmetic mostly due to rust) to get it in usable condition, but she is thrilled with it and only paid $50 for it.

A 4 shaft cardboard loom sounds quite intriguing!

Welcome @crunchy!
I’ve never gotten to weave on a Structo, but George has restored a couple of them over the years. I always think of Bertha Grey Hayes when I see one. I also have a 20" Flip. My only complaint is that, with the trap, it’s an event for me to reach to the back and release the brake to advance the warp. My arms are too short!!

My son built a balsa-wood 4-shaft loom for a project in his magnet high school. He based it on my Schacht Standard and the darn thing worked! I’d be concerned with it or a cardboard loom being able to take the tension a loom needs. I’ll be interested in seeing how it works for you.

Oh, hi! I’m so glad I found this forum. I’ve been weaving off and on for about 15 years. Back before I got married, I started a nice little collection of looms, including two louët floor looms, a table loom, and a rigid heddle. Now I’m a homeschool mom and work part time from home, so I don’t find as much time for weaving as I’d like. I love trying out all kinds of weave structures, so I’m sort of a “jack of all, master of none”. I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone here and seeing what you’re working on!

Welcome, @nosila78! We’re glad you found us! I had a weaving slowdown when my children were small. To everything there is its season.

Hi…I always describe myself that way…Jack of all…
Sounds like you are a busy woman doing important things. Maybe you could bring weaving into curriculum. Nice to see you here.

@Bettymo Hi! I just now saw your comment. We have done some weaving for school. Last year he helped me weave some fabric that we used to make Christmas ornaments. He may have a future as a rug weaver because he really liked to beat it very stiff! Right now he’s not terribly interested in weaving, so he is working on cross stitch for his handicraft this term.

That’s great!