Trying it the Amish way

I enjoy reading all books about knitting, from technical guides to novels. So one of the first series of books I bought for my Kindle was Karen Anna Vogel’s ‘Amish Knitting Circle’. I was intrigued by the fact that the Amish still knit on looms, producing socks, mittens, shawls, and a great many other things. In her website/blog, Ms. Vogel mentions that, while the Amish still make looms, plastic ones have, at least in part, replaced traditional wooden ones.

I love to learn new crafts so it was inevitable that I would find myself in the market for a knitting loom. This week I received my long-awaited set of Knifty Knitter round looms - used, somewhat worn, but with all their pegs and all their charm intact, and yesterday I finished my first hat. Today I finished my second - a child’s hat this time. My needles need not worry - they are not in retirement, but they have had to make a little space on the table for these distant relatives. Maybe I need a larger craft room…,

0e650d80406f9cef9f0b266b52e4787fjpg.jpg

eca22480b14d7c3aff30989608b94db1jpg.jpg

Very Nice!!!

The hats turned out very nicely! I had no idea the Amish used looms, always good to learn something new. I also enjoy reading Amish novels; the return to simpler ways of life have a comforting feel to a degree. My sister-in-law “introduced” me to author Cindy Woodsmall a few years ago and I’ve spend many have hours reading/listening to her books.

@Char Thank you!

@Sings4joy Thank you! I feel the same way about the simpler ways of life. Thanks for the point to Cindy Woodsmall. I’m always looking for new authors.

My pleasure! I’m looking for new authors too; hard to keep up with books though because I’m usually crafting :wink:

That is really interesting. I did not know that the Amish used looms, but I suppose that if you are making all your own clothes, it saves a lot of time if you use a loom than if you knit every stitch by hand. I love the hats, and the expression on the face of the “model”!

@WeeBizzom Yes, she’s been part of my life for almost 40 years and yet everything I do still surprises her.