To frog, or not to frog...

@love2knit
I’m sure it would help to block it. But those weird tube arms…ugh. I’m not sure there’s hope for them.

Recombinance is a basic strategy of this universe. The beauty of yarn is that (up to a certain point) it can be reworked, like pie dough. Swarfy, who works exclusively in metal, envies me that reworking ability.

If something just isn’t working, I send it back to the yarn field of all possibilities. But I never, never frog at night. Dawn’s bright light suits me better for new beginnings.

I have no clue what you’re talking about. :wink:

Lol! Got it :wink:

The Queen of the Frogs most assuredly knows of what we speak!

I would pull it out and start over. You could try it in the round instead of pieces or sell it to someone… I once fell in love with a sweater but didn’t want to do it at the particular gauge. I wanted something bigger 4.5 to 5 stitches to the inch. LYS helped me pick out yarn and away I went. When done, I tried it on and was horrified. I looked like the Michelin Man. I asked my husband who said it was fine, and then I took it to another yarnstore. Tried it on and asked for opinions. Everyone agreed I looked like the Michelin Man. I took it off and someone actually frogged it for me while I was looking around the store.

Now that’s what I call good customer service :wink:

I have no problem frogging. Sometimes I’ll finish something and then decide I don’t love the FO for me or find it’s not flattering to me. In those cases I usually donate the item, but will sometimes frog. When I haven’t finished yet and am just bored with the project, then I’ll frog and use the yarn for something else. I used to try to finish everything, but life is too short to hate the project you’re working on. I learned my lesson with a Hypernova scarf. Great pattern, but a scarf on tiny needles takes a LONG time, especially when it’s super repetitive. I did finish that, but finally gave it away because I just couldn’t look at it anymore.

My decision to frog or not frog depends on the value of the yarn and what’s wrong with the project. If I used really nice yarn and I hated the finished item, I would frog it so I could reuse the yarn. If I made something out of inexpensive yarn and there was nothing wrong with it though I didn’t like it on me, I would give it away to someone who would wear it.

I once knit a shawl - little house on the prairie simple stockinette shawl - for my then 7 year old granddaughter. Now, this was all stockinette with a simple ruffly border and yet when I was blocking this shawl there was ONE PURL stitch right in the middle of the shawl. How is that even possible! I was going to start over but my daughter wouldn’t let me. She reminded me that neither she nor her daughter would worry that it wasn’t perfect and that this was after all for a growing child and had a limited life span anyhow. So I didn’t frog!

I love your daughter!

See it, saw it from the first.

but . . . but . . . but that one imperfection kept the shawl from challenging the perfection of the gods (Navajo), which thereby made it perfect in its execution. And you could always challenge someone unfamiliar with knitting to find the one reversed stitch. Make a game of it. :wink:

The Amish too would consider it to be OK - again because only God is perfect.- my daughter reminded me at the time of this very concept!

You have a wonderful daughter!

I don’t know how many times I have persevered with something I didn’t really like, because I had spent all that money, I had done all that work and it would be wasteful to rip it out - waste not, want not and all that. Of course, I would never wear/use the item and it would end up in the local charity shop, where it would be sold for less than I paid for the yarn, which is actually a lot more wasteful.

I have now decided to make and finish only what I want and if I don’t like it, I visit the frog pond in the village of Mickle Swearing, near the town of Muckle Cursing, where I hum “Joy to the World” because Jeremiah was a bullfrog, so he would understand “rippit, rippit” and I feel much better afterwards :smiley:

I recently frogged 5-6 pair of socks I had on the needles - one pair I think could be counted in decades. That was hard
to do but when it stares at you for long enough what is one to do?

3f6b8a14d8b70b2c36007d9d0ed872f7jpg.jpg

310d0df6abf71abc17c4791c94129b60jpg.jpg

d4ebcf3e7438a3f7cd646edd865ce195jpg.jpg

b018369f199a84801f17f95783bac979jpg.jpg

It’s good to see you Wee Bizzom, I’ve missed your comments! I love how you handle your frog sessions. I will never again be able to frog without singing Jeremiah was a Bullfrog, lol!!

Well, I’m safe. My knitting will never challenge God’s perfection! I have new reason to appreciate wonky edges :wink:

Did you?! You go girl…riiipit…riiiipit :slight_smile: