Tips for beginning weavers

Oops!!!

Those are very pretty. I am going to look and see what you mean by down shed… :slight_smile:

When I put the heddle in the down position there was virtually no room to slide the shuttle, up was fine but not down.

I moved the heddle to the up position and nothing happened! That’s when I realized the holes were all empty. :wink: This is how I learn, I’ve always said that I really learned to drive once I was in the car alone.

Thank you! I didn’t have any more warp to advance but I had at least 9 or 10 inches of warp left unworked on the loom.

Yes, it’s normal to have loom waste. My Louet David floor loom has about 15" of loom waste and I try hard to weave as far as I possibly can to reduce that waste.

This is one of the things I love about weaving. If you aren’t looking around the house for a makeshift tool, you are having to analyze stuff that happens.

That’s what I’m doing right now, “What happens if I …” And I love the idea of looking for makeshift tools around the house. I watched Kelly Casanova for the first time and instead of using waste yarn as a spacer she uses cardboard which I think will slide out easier at the end.

I’m at the end of the warp and have 10 inches of yarn in front of the heddle.

Heddle in up position:

Heddle in down position:

20200418_072844.jpg

20200418_072917.jpg

20200418_072900.jpg

If you have an extra shuttle, or some cardboard you can put that over the warp bar in the back to give it more tension. You have a shed in the back that will help guide whatever you can stick in there.

I get this at the very end as well. Not sure if it is a newbie thing or something that happens to us all.

I’ll try that next time, so far I haven’t planned anything, I’m just taking her out for a spin. I saw that down shed and wondered what I had done.

I’ve used a pick up stick to make the shed easier to move the shuttle through. A bit of a pain, but that way I can weave almost to the back apron bar.

Thanks for that tip.

I was wondering if maybe your yarn is a little sticky and you just have to clear the shed as @crosstitchlinda mentioned in her post.

I don’t think so, everything worked fine and then all of a sudden it didn’t.

Check out this video. Kelly Casanova demonstrates how to use pickup sticks to clear the shed.
https://youtu.be/-whQf54WGto

I will, I just discovered her a couple of days ago and love her. I can listen to an Aussie talk all day.

Check out this tip by Peggy Osterkamp! https://peggyosterkamp.com/weaving-twostick-heading/

What a handy idea!

I love Peggy, I warp my floor loom using her method. Works for me every time. She has some great tips and tricks.

I have Peggy’s DVD for warping back to front. That’s how I started weaving. Great teacher