Sweater neckline issue

Hello!
I’m knitting a cricket sweater and I reached instructions for the back neckline, which confuse me a little bit. Here’s the pattern excerpt:

Shape neck: Pattern 46 sts, dec, turn and work on these 47 sts only for right side neck.
Right side neck: *** Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 15 rows – 32 sts. Pattern 1 row here on left side neck.
Shape shoulder: Cast off 11 sts at start of next row and following alternate row – 10 sts. Pattern 1 row. Cast off.***
Left side neck: With right side facing, slip centre 36 sts onto a st holder, rejoin yarn to remaining sts and dec, pattern to end – 47 sts.
Work as right side neck from *** to ***, noting variation.

So first thing I’m confused about is the ‘Pattern 1 row here on left side neck.’ line… Should I just go through all stitches after the first decrease; after the 15 rows? I don’t really see how that’s gonna work either.
Secondly, they ask later to slip stiches onto a holder, but then there’s no further instructions about those stitches… Should I just cast them off after I’m done with the left side?

This is only my second time using a knitting pattern so I’m a bit lost! I think this pattern is from Woman’s Weekly Knitting & Crochet Special, but I’m not entirely sure, as I don’t have the full magazine, just this pattern. If someone knows what to do with this, please let me know!

Cheers,
Agata

You’re dividing the two shoulders so you’ll only be working with about half of the stitches. The stitches on the holder will be worked later so don’t cast those off. Work 46 in the established pattern, decrease according to the pattern (it should specify somewhere in the pattern) then turn the work and work those 47 stitches from the reverse side. I hope that helps.

Thank you! My confusion with the stitches on the holder comes from the fact, that the instructions for the back end with the excerpt I provided. Then those stitches are never mentioned again, unless I’m missing something…

I thought they would maybe be used again in the neckline but I don’t think so? Here’s the instruction for that, in case I’m misunderstanding something.

A7CBCBA5-1C6D-4E0C-B527-3F057F30C36C.jpg

9C8FF2A1-0215-421C-9B3F-AD7051755241.jpg

Hmm, I don’t know what to say, those stitches should be mentioned again. Is there a way to contact the publisher?

Thank you Shelly, I’ll try that!

Hi, reopening this thread as once again I’m having issues with this pattern… after some struggle I finished the main body and I’m quite happy with it :slight_smile: after taking a break from it, I’ve started on the sleeves and unfortunately I have no idea what does the author mean again… I’m hoping someone better versed in patterns can understand this:

sorry for the quality I hope it’s readable!

additional information: the pattern for the body is 16 rows, with the cable at row 10.
On the photo of finished sweater you can see the cables are the same on arms and body so I’m assuming by “work in pattern to match back” they mean to knit those additional 6 rows?
the way I also interpreted this and am not sure if it’s correct, is to match the length of the back and then add those additional 96 rows and so on? Since I know for sure that the sleeves being the same or similar length to the back will be way too short.
another thing I don’t understand is how they want this to be 118 stitches in the end… no matter how I try to calculate it, it doesn’t add up, I always end up with more. I’ve been just following the increases from the pattern and I’m at 112 rows and 124 stitches already.

So the back is 190 rows and I’m at 112 now and it’s barely longer than elbow length but I am worried that I’ll end up with a sleeve way too wide for the body.

So I’m thinking of maybe no longer increasing and just knitting until desired length, not sure if that would look and work decently?