Stashbuster Projects

Can’t wait to see your progress!!

I’m using up my Peaches and Creme kitchen cotton with hot pads and dish towels so I can feel free to get some cottons that I like working with better. What do y’all look for on the label when looking for cotton to use in dish towels and hot pads etc. The P&C is so stiff that it’s not really very nice to work with… I used to have a bunch of I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby that was much softer and had a bit of drape that I’ve made wash cloths from but is that okay with heat? I never really thought about it until I used that cotton blend last year that had polyester in it and it kinda melted. Boy did I feel dumb!

20210102_235612.jpg

Have you considered a bulky wool for hot pads, due to their less flammable properties?

I didn’t know wool was less flammable! I made some felted ones years ago. They were the best! Why didn’t I think of that?!

I went back to the battenberg blanket today and started making granny squares again. I felt it was necessary to add up all the squares I have made. Ugh. This depressed me. I have only 212. And I am nearly out of the leftovers I was using to make this blanket. I am using a DK weight, so it shouldn’t need as many squares as Cherry Heart used, but it is nowhere near 1,000. This will not be a very big blanket if I don’t buy more yarn and keep making grannies. I’m not sure what I should do, because I really don’t want to buy any yarn, but I do want this blanket to be bigger.

F898C897-C92E-47E7-B4F4-4DB7B30EBB49.jpeg

I love your colors!!

Thank you

You could use fingering weight held double? or Triple, whatever gives you a similar gauge.

@Fisherwife
love the colors.
If there is no rush on this blanket…let it sit a while. Who knows what this year will bring along.
You may end up with a whole bunch of DK weight by the end of the summer. weirder things have happened. LoL.

I agree with @hereami, @Fisherwife, Also, there might be some people here who would want to “gift” you with some because they don’t like the weight or colors that they have. Are you using a specific brand, color scheme?

It is self-extinguishing, once removed from the flame source.

I am making a battenburg blanket out of a light worsted (hobby lobby brand similar to simply soft).

I am thinking I have 100 colored squares give or take. It is becoming a decent size blanket.

How big is a square? You may have enough. :wink:

I am in a mathy mood. Lol

My dear son helped me do the math. I have enough for a throw at this point. I fished out some more Stylecraft special dk and have been making squares this week. I think when I run out, I’ll just begin to join and see where I end up. It’s a very kind thought that some of you could gift them to me, but I really don’t want to back up in my progress of stashbusting, hence my reluctance to buy more. However, I may get an orange and yellow skein simply because I have none in my stash with which to make squares.

All the leftovers I have are from Attic24 blanket kits. I made three in DK weight. My children each got blankets last year. I do love making blankets from her kits. She has such a flair for color. The patterns are simple and repetitious, so it’s easy to memorize them and work while listening and watching something else entirely.

My all-time favorite Stashbuster, Stashburner is more like it, is the Garter Squish Blanket. I can use up a lot of acrylic (no offense) and it is still soft and drapey. The last 2 have used 2 strands worsted weight yarn and size 11 needles. One strand was a Caron Simply Soft (I had one of those bulk bags from AC Moore) I use 56" slick nickel-plated Knitpicks circular needles, and it makes for good tv knitting. If you stick to one side of the color wheel, it actually doesn’t look too crazy!

IMG_2359.JPG

It’s so pretty!!

I have one on the back of the recliner. I used up all my mystery thrift store yarn, planned, and broke into some jumbo skeins to finish it, unplanned.

ETA: I am tempted to start another one. Yes, I have over a dozen WIPs; I still want to start another one.

It is tempting to start something like this because every day when I knit my one row on my temperature blanket I find myself wishing I could just knit a few more rows. It’s just such a nice mindless, stress reliever. And I just hairball to have a 60" #11 from knitpicks. :wink:

@knitter131; pattern is very simple: CO desired # of sts, knit to 3 stitches left, slip3 wyif, turn, repeat. Make a swatch to determine the gauge and needles you want to use. Original pattern calls for 2 strands of WW wool and size US#15 needles with a CO of 126 for a 40” wide blanket. My yarns were a little thinner, and find using #11s more comfy in the long run. Mine was 56” wide, very heavy at the end!

@PurlgirlButtons thanks for the pattern - I’m very familiar with this method of making an I-cord edge, and it’s a favorite of mine as well. I will be sure to do a swatch, because I would probably make one in sport weight single strand.

This is a Scrappy project that I have been working on this week. All week long I told myself, “this is for my shop, this is for my shop” Now it’s done and I don’t know if I can part with it!!! It is recycled denim, duck cloth on the bottom, and a light cotton lining. The lining is the only reason I don’t think I would sell it, I would rather have a heavier muslin or quilting cotton. I don’t have anything at the moment. I haven’t put bags of this size in my shop because I feel like the market is flooded with bags, but I think it is unique enough, it might sell. I’ll never know until I try, right?

File_000 (1).jpeg

File_001 (1).jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_000 (3).jpeg