Stashbuster ideas!!

That is really nice but I like storing my yarn in plastic tote boxes. They would fit in my closet if I could get some of the smaller boxes out of the closet. I would like a wall of shelves but I want to put small boxes on them. I do a variety of crafts so I have a wide variety of tools and supplies. The worst thing to organize is paper for papercrafting.

I hope youā€™ll share pictures. I did like the pics of your paper crafting area you shared during the Holiday Make Along :slight_smile:

@Char - it will be awhile. I have to come up with a plan before hubby will help.

I am still sorting and storingā€¦ LOL, looking for one particular skein of yarnā€¦!
:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rkennell;n38057]I came across this and I thought it was a neat idea! A stashbuster pouf; I think it would make a gorgeous ottoman if you went bigger with it.

https://itsallinanutshell.com/2016/09/30/stripey-pouf-free-crochet-pattern/

I tried making this as an ottoman for the back porch. I made it taller and wide enough for two people sitting in facing chairs. I paid special attention to her direction to keep stuffing after you think you canā€™t stuff it anymore. I did that with 5 large bags of fiberfill. It wasnt enough so I took apart an old queen size comforter and used ALL of the stuffing from that. Sadly, it still wasnā€™t enough as my ottoman was certainly sturdy (Iā€™d used Scheepjes Stonewashed ends), but it just squished down too far to be comfortable as a foot rest. I bagged up the stuffing and it joined the UFO corner. Iā€™m still deciding if I want to try again or frog it and make something else.

Ottoman.jpg

Just trying to think outside the box a little, so this may not be a good ideaā€¦ What about putting a layer of fill at the bottom, cut up that old comforter into manageable pieces to stuff into the center of the fiber fill (fiberfill would be all around it). This could add bulk and sturdiness, but not compromise softness? Something to possibly try?

Thanks for the idea. I may have made it too big even though it doesnā€™t look like it. The stitch is very stretchy so it gets muuuch bigger than youā€™d think. Also, the grands want to use it as a seat so have been thinking about using a few empty plastic tree containers to provide the inside structure and then do as you described.

Good! Keep us posted!

Will do. Have to wait for the foot of snow to melt so I can get to the containers.

[h=2][SIZE=14px]@pinesprairie - I was wondering what you could put inside to make it sturdier and found this HGTV page about fabric poufs. Maybe their method will work for you.[/SIZE]

Stuff Pouf[/h] Turn pouf right-side out (Image 1). Gather old towels, old sheets and old fabric from around the house to use as stuffing. Start stuffing the pouf (Image 2-3). It will look bumpy, but weā€™ll smooth it out with polyfill. When the pouf is almost full, start to add polyfill (Image 4). Take a handful and stuff it down along the sides of the pouf. This will give your pouf a nice, smooth appearance. Keep adding polyfill until your pouf is smooth and completely full (Image 5). The fabric should be taut.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/how-to-make-a-fabric-pouf-ottoman

Great idea!

Hey thanks, @lovestostitch. I took a look and that is very much like what I did. I I even cleaned my closet and used ā€¦ahemā€¦ numerous pairs of jeans that were too small (wasnā€™t gonna admit it the first time tho) and all the mysterious single socks went in. They got theirs smoother than I did but I still think with the size I made Iā€™m going to need something solid or rigid on the inside or itā€™s going to just squish down. Iā€™m here to tell you, that stitch is stretchy. The more I stuffed it, the bigger it got. Taut fabric? I canā€™t imagine how much of whatever else Iā€™d need to get it taut enough. I just may have to frog (I didnā€™t sew in the ends because I was in a hurry, didnā€™t know if it would work and really, who would ever see?) and make it smaller. Now if Iā€™d just followed the pattern, we most likely wouldnā€™t be having this conversation!

You could possibly also use some old pillow for stuffing and then fill in around it with fiberfill. But I love your colors! Canā€™t wait to see how that turns out.

@pinesprairie - that one in the pattern didnā€™t look like a functional pouf - just a decoration. My first thought was putting a cheap, hard foot stool in there and padding around it. I was thinking a plastic or wood one.

Ooh, I like the footstool idea, that would certainly be sturdy. I will let everyone know how this one goes! Thanks all!

I am making the ā€œHelen cowlā€ from https://www.interweave.com/store/knitscene-fall-2018-digital-edition good use of some worsted weight yarn, and great for anyone who likes slipped stitch colorwork.

image.jpg

That is very pretty!!!

Besides being pretty, itā€™s going to be nice and warm!

I could shoot myself but I started a granny square project. Itā€™s called the Battenburg Blanket by Sandra Paul at cherryoak.uk. Iā€™ve got a load of leftover stylecraft special dk from several blankets I made with Lucy from Attic24.

be31dda78b2dc9021e75b2b48c2689b5jpg.jpg

@Kathy7661 we have another battenburg blanket in progress. @Fisherwife might need some moral support. :fk: