Stash intervention

Great idea knitterlady13

Blankets are awesome for this. I have done 10 stitch blankets out of sock yarn held multiple strands together, and it is easy enough to use any weight yarn. My best results for mixing yarn weights come from choosing a “background” or basic weight, & then occasionally adding pieces that are no more than the next weight up or down. So for example if most of what I am using is 5.5 st/inch (DK on a US6), then every so often I will add in a bit of worsted (5st/in) using the same needle size, that makes the heavier yarn “pop.” Then if I have some sport weight that blooms I’ll use that on the US6, and if it’s sport weight that knits thin, I’ll string along some 4ply on the US6. Just remember that every piece you knit doesn’t have to be a masterpiece, and you are actually learning facts & techniques through experience, and those learned memories will build your confidence and desire to explore new things. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share what I did last year to help reduce the odd bits from my stash. I crocheted tiny little Christmas stockings ornaments. I made over 400 of them! Then I sent them to pregnancy centers as gifts for their clients. I made little stockings, big stockings, fluffy stockings, camouflage stockings, stockings with sequins, some with lace yarn, some with shiny thread, many with handspun… I worked on it from May until December, then kept going into January until I finally ran out of steam. It was so fun because each new one with different yarn was a whole new adventure. They only take about half an hour, so I could really crank them out. I did keep having to buy white yarn for the cuffs. And then I had to recruit friends to help me glue little holly berry patches on them (not shown here).

So if you need a project to help destash, something like this is a great one!

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 8.04.13 AM.jpg

These are so cute!!! :slight_smile:

@KnitSwag These are adorable! Another group to make mini stockings for is Warmth for Warriors.

Wow, that’s impressive! I sure wish mine was that organized. It’s a beautiful thing!

@LiddleDesigns

For some reason…I am just now reading this thread.

I love your pinwheel blanket. Did you ever finish it? I would love to see a finished picture.

also… Did you use a specific pattern for it, or just make it up as you went?

It really is lovely, and looks so cozy and warm. :fk:

We have an awesome amount of stuff that goes on here - it is easy to miss stuff.

This is something I’ve been wanting to do. I don’t have a whole lot of yarn, but a lot of what I do have is kind of ancient. So I want to organize, inventory, and make plans to finally use up the very old yarn. I did inherit a cubby hole shelving unit which I plan on using, only my yarn will have to be in plastic bags/baggies as it is super, super dusty here.

Have you seen us over in the Stash Busting group?
We are having a lot of fun.

@hereami Yes, I’ve been looking at everyone’s updates. It does look like fun, but I’m not sure I’d remember to post updates every week. I see you are making good progress on your stash!

@TeaNSugar

I don’t remember to post every week either. Others forget too sometimes.
I completely forgot to post this week, so I just joined in the conversation and then adjusted my scores on my signature. For me seeing my own scores when I come online is a gentle reminder to not buy something when I am out and about.

Something I like about FiberKind is that it is relaxed and easy to join in. A do what you can when you can kind of place. No pressure…just craft because you want/love to.

What kind of old yarn do you have?
I have quite a bit of wool and acrylic. This week I am playing with my wool and trying to make a hat. There is a group on here making hats for charity. Not sure my hat will be good enough to give to anyone…but I giving it a try. Worst thing that can happen is I have an ugly hat to wear this winter when I go for my morning walks…lol.
stay well,

@hereami Oh, that sounds great and works for me. I’ll go ahead and join. :slight_smile:

I have mostly acrylic with much smaller amounts of cotton and wool. My little sock yarn stash is now mostly white because at one time I had the big idea of attempting to learn to dye. I never tried it, and there it sits.

Here’s hoping your hat will come out fine! I am starting a sweater which I hope won’t end up ugly too. lol

Yes, I have made a batch for Warmth for Warriors :smile: for Christmas in July project. Lots of fun!