Spin de Fleece 2020 Chatter for Prep (until the actual event kicks off)

Well, I would rather the teams pick their own.

First Spin de Fleece, how much fleece will I need? I know it all depends on how fast, how thick, etc. Does 1.75 lbs sound like enough for a new spinner? I’m thinking of dyeing the bare wool.
Another Question: Does only spinning count, or can knitting your completed handspun count?

IMG_2175.JPG

Hi PurlgirlButtons - I guessing that 1.75 pounds will keep you busy for a while! For example, when I spin 4 ounces for 3-ply socks, it takes me 10 days spinning maybe an hour or so every day (about 32 wraps per inch). I was looking over the “Official Rules” for Spin de Fleece here: https://fiberkind.com/forum/spinning/spin-a-longs/57476-official-rules-for-spin-de-fleece-2020
As far as I can tell, the focus is on spinning and participants set their own goals, challenges, and schedule. The idea is to try to spin every day that the Tour de France rides. I certainly plan to prep, spin and use yarn various ways most of the days, but mainly post about the spinning part. Maybe @rkennell will comment too. I love having these promises to myself to keep the projects moving ahead a bit every day so that there is some progress. It is exciting to think about and not that far off now. I have all my locks flicked at this point - still working on my first sweater spin.

I ordered some new dyes from ProChem, so I am planning to get some of that bare fiber dyed prior to SDF. I think I will have enough to spin at least 30 min to an hour a day and possibly crank out a pair of mittens before the very end. I’m wondering if I should order a spare drive band and motor before, too. So far, my nano 1.1 is doing very well, but I would hate to have it get out of commission.

Thanks for answering, @Carlota - you are right. You can use this time to do anything spinning related–spinning the singles or plying.

It looks like you have plenty to keep you busy! Of course, if you have lots of time to spin, you might just end up surprising yourself and get it all done! You set your own schedule and challenges.

Yay–be sure to post pictures of your fiber when it’s dyed. It might be a good idea to have a spare motor on hand if they’re not too expensive. It’s good to know you can get the drive band so cheap and so handy! I’m still thinking that the Nano would be handy to get some day to take when we travel or go camping.

So I have to share my funny story about fiber prep. As I’ve mentioned earlier, I am trying to prep a Shetland fleece and get it carded for spinning. This past week we traveled to northern FL to visit my parents and I brought along my (borrowed) drum carder and my bag of wool with a teaser board to get some more fleece processed into fiber batts. I would work on it in the evenings and store in a laundry basket during the day in Mom’s laundry room, which is also where a small bathroom is located for guests to use the restroom. The shetland fleece batts are a fluffy medium brown, about a 10" wide and a little over a foot long. I had them stacked on the top of everything else in the laundry basket so they wouldn’t get ruined.

On Sunday we invited some relatives, including my aunt and my adult cousin for Sunday lunch. My cousin decided to go use the restroom and was walking through the laundry room to get there, when I heard a shriek. She had seen the wool batts and had no idea what it was. She thought it was a dead critter of some sort at first. After we stopped laughing, I explained to her what it was. I guess I’m so used to having fiber around that I never thought anything of it, and certainly didn’t think about it looking like a critter of some sort!

That’s awesome! :slight_smile:

@Carlota - I know, Isn’t it, though?! It was just too fun. She asked me --“What IS that???” She was a good sport and had fun with it, thankfully.

I did some pre-Spin de Fleece fiber dyeing this week. I’m sort of new at this, but I think it turned out pretty good for some practice yarn.

IMG_2206.JPG

Such vibrant colors! I can’t wait to see it spun!

Yes, how did you get such bright colors? They are so fun.

This was the smallest batt, a gradient of Sea Breeze. I had to Andean ply the last bit, so it looks a lot darker.

IMG_2232.JPG

Well I’d say you’ve nailed it. A cheerful spin, for sure. And gorgeous no matter what you decide to do.

I love those colors! It will be fun to see it spun up!! What fiber is it?

Looks like you’re getting in some practice runs–that’s so pretty!

@Readyfox - here is where the Spin de Fleece is gearing up. :slight_smile:

Click here for the official rules

Glad to have you along!

So I drumcarded all of the remaining 7 oz. of BFL/Coopworth lamb fleece into 1-oz batts, then dizzed them off the drum into 7 very long rovings that are fluffy and ready to spin. I am getting butterflies about diving in for another stretch of days that will enable me to complete the spinning for the Buttonbox Vest, which is a free Knitty pattern by Elizabeth McCarten:
https://knitty.com/ISSUEss13/KSPATTbuttonbox.php
And here is my prepped wool and singles spun earlier:

IMG_20200824_163056.jpg

It all looks so marvelous!

Thank you - this will be my first handspun garment and I’m learning so much. These spinning events certainly help us multi-crafters focus long enough to see progress!