Spice Market CAL

[SIZE=14px]As some of you may know, Mark Roseboom of “The Guy with a Hook” planned a CAL for his Spice Market blanket. It has since been cancelled. You can see his statement HERE. He has encouraged those of us who want to make the blanket to carry on. Though there will be no official support from his site or testers.

I’ve decided to move forward with the project and if anyone else would like to join…well, welcome!

If you don’t have the pattern, you can find the pdf files on his website.

I’m hoping this can be a place for us to work out issues we may have with technique as a friendly group. Ooh! Please post photos of your WIPs too![/SIZE]

I’ll be making my Spice Market in #10 thread & a 1.6 mm hook. I may make a wall hanging if it turns out as gorgeous as I hope.

My colors:

• (A) - Aunt Lydia's - Natural
  • (B) - Hobby Lobby Artiste - Fudge
  • (C) - Hobby Lobby Artiste - Wild Berry
  • (D) - Hobby Lobby Artiste - Orchid
  • (E) - Aunt Lydia's - Burgundy
  • (F) - Aunt Lydia's - Olive
  • (G) - Aunt Lydia's - Wasabi
  • (H) - Aunt Lydia's - Forest Green

I am seriously considering this!!! If I do it will likely be in a DK weight yarn. I am a little nervous about the mosaic crochet, however. I have never done this. It is such an awesome pattern, though!!!

I can’t imagine doing this in thread. You, @TexasPurl are the thread queen, though!

Although I do have some fingering stash I could use up… hmmm

I started this topic so we can all work through those parts we’re unfamiliar with together. I’m happy to help anyone with questions.

I completed Part 1 last night. I followed the pattern with only 1 exception.

Round 14 - When instructed to make the 2nd dtr into the ch2 sp of rnd 10, I instead made the dtr into the bottom loop of the 1st dtr. I think it made a nice join of the V stitch.

IMG_20200118_083646.jpg

@TexasPurl
Wow!! Stunning!!!

Oh wow! I am going to make this but won’t be starting now. I look forward to watching your progress!

I was just checking to see if you posted a picture yet - and here it is!!! :fk: !!!

Part 2 is complete! I made 1 change to the pattern.

On round 19, I made each dc in the back loop of the sc in the round below. The dark purple was getting lost under the burgundy.

IMG_20200120_075222.jpg

@knitter131 - I admire your commitment! I’m blessed I have enough thread to last until I’m too old and dusty to hold a hook.

This really makes me want to make it. :slight_smile:

@TexasPurl, yes - @Char only shops the sales, and she always gives me the “family” prices. But, that’s a lot of colors, and there’s my stashbusting to consider!!! Ho hum, what’s a girl to do???

LOL @knitter131 - It didn’t occur to me, but it could be @Char 's subtle plan to earn a few stashbusting points!

@TexasPurl - you weren’t supposed to tell her THAT! :slight_smile:

Part 3 is finished! No pattern tweaks. Not that I didn’t try with the corners. Each corner is worked independently & each row of the corner is fastened off.
(Note to self, weave in ends as you go!) It measure 12" square.

IMG_20200124_075905.jpg

@TexasPurl Wow, it’s beautiful!

Very inspiring!!! Gosh, those ends. lol

I’ve taken the.plunge - I found enough colors in Cascade Heritage Sock, with the exception of the white. @Char opened her yarn shop and I’m all set! Part 1 completed. It’s been fun so far, and hard to put it down!

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“http://fiberkind.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]​

IMG_20200127_224823488.jpg

Oh fun! I’m glad you’re joining in! It’s definitely hard to put down. You just want to see what the next round brings. Please post pics of your progress.

I posted a picture, can you see it?