Shawlette/Shawl MAL - Chatter

@lovestostitch - thank you for the input!! I agree the red heart would be much easier. Still kicking out ideas around in my head. :slight_smile:

@Char - it is a common misconception that a vinegar soak sets the dye. Vinegar is used in the dyeing process but the crucial element for setting the dye is heat. You could start by prewashing the yarn to see if you have a problem. Washing it a few times might take out excess dye and maybe it wouldnā€™t keep bleeding. If it continues to bleed, you could try heat setting the yarn but do note that you canā€™t use that pot for future food preparation.

Cascade told me the superwash process makes yarn more likely to bleed so using yarn that is not superwash is a safer bet.

https://woolery.com/basic-instruction-for-acid-dye

She has lots of pretty designs!

Starting a shawlette today.

IMG_20191206_071237573.jpg

Finished this today. A quick knit. Iā€™ve made this pattern several times, this is the first time Iā€™ve added the ruffle. Sweet Heart Scarf by Annie Baker.

I added an eyelet row every 15 rows. Otherwise followed pattern.

https://jumpercablesknitting.com/2011/07/01/sweet-heart-scarf/

IMG_20191208_143544647.jpg

Oops, probably shouldnā€™t have put this here, I forgot this KAL doesnā€™t start until January.

We will have a finished thread when the MAL starts. Why donā€™t you just edit your post to tell us what pattern you used and add a link.

Thanks for posting pattern alternatives that donā€™t lead to Ravelry as itā€™s the whole point of this website. Alternative sites.

I prefer Citric Acid to vinegar. It doesnā€™t smellā€¦ and sets better, but be sure to heat the water when you put your item in to soak.

@SouthernComfortKC do you do this after the dye? I have some yarn that is bleeding onto my hands, and I was wondering if this might help if I gave it a good soaking. :slight_smile:

@Char - you can try resetting any yarn by heating it in a pot of hot water and vinegar or citric acid. Here is a good webpage with information about dyeing. Follow the instructions for presoaking and heating - just ignore the parts about adding dye.

https://www.dharmatrading.com/information/dharma-acid-dye.html

Before I bothered with the heat setting, I would try washing the yarn. It is very likely that it was not thoroughly washed after dyeing. Just soak it in water and dish soap. Keep rinsing until the water is clear.

@lovestostitch I click this gear, and one of the options is to edit topic. Do you have that option?

D60CE668-C9DE-47BE-BD36-68B327C79F31.jpeg

The only option I have is ā€œdelete topic.ā€

Hmmm - well, I guess maybe not. But - I am happy to change things as folks want them. :slight_smile:

Hi all- I purchased the Gallatin pattern last night. I havenā€™t received it. Not sure where to download it. Can anybody help tell me where to get it. Thank you!

@chrisz - I am sending you a personal message - give me a fewā€¦

Hereā€™s my yarn for the Lens Flare shawl by Suvi Simola.
Iā€™m going to start it next week.

IMG_20200116_144830.jpg

Pretty yarn. Canā€™t wait to see that knit up.

Beautiful yarn and I just looked up this pattern. Looks really cool. Canā€™t wait to see it come together!

Gorgeous yarn!