September 2022 - Squishies and stuffies

Hi everyone I have had a very busy September. My oldest got married, and my twin son had a three week vacation and stayed with us!

My WIP

Next week’s goal is to finish the sleeve Monday, rib the bottom hem Tuesday, then do the color work for the other sleeve by Friday.

8 Likes

Yes, I manage the Town’s website and Facebook page, and email list. This gets distributed every month. Our town is so spread out and so close to a major city we don’t have a gathering spot. I’m trying to change it, but it isn’t quite there yet.

People are starting to get curious with the new town hall, and once that is built I hope it will be better. :slight_smile:

We also have a bulletin board going up at the Town Park so hopefully that will help.

1 Like

Do you have a local library? Could you display some of your hand crafted items at the library with a little sign that advertises your get-togethers?

1 Like

Nope. There are county libraries, but not close to the Town. There is a gas station, a liquor store, an auto repair shop, and a pizza place. I plan on making a few things to hang around Town hall, but want to wait until it is finished for sizing and color purposes.

2 Likes

Your area sounds like the perfect place to live if all your trying to do is de-stress and just live and breathe.

If I lived over there, I would definitely join you for a pizza and craft night!

2 Likes

Oh … a Knit night with Pizza … sounds good to me ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right! Knit or Crochet while watching sports on the tv.

And if you brought extra supplies people could join you.
Maybe even make it a regular thing so people knew to look for you and join in.

1 Like

One of the printers is functioning again, and my cold is fading away. Replaced the last six leather weights on this band with freshly printed plastic penny bobbins – that should last me a little while, at least until I want to do a design with more cards :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It really is our own piece of paradise. And I would love to have you @hereami - we have a swing out back, a couple acres, farms to the left, cows to the right….

@Spice2s you too! Everyone is welcome!!! :slight_smile:

Oh yes - I have extra supplies of everything. And good pizza!

And yet - only 15 mins from town. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Sounds like a party to me! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Yes!!! Yes it does….

1 Like

There is a yarn store in my state (a bit to far to visit for me), but they do really fun activities at a local restaurant. Needle felting projects, etc… I wish they were closer!

1 Like

I will have to try to find this near me…so far no luck.
I do have a few LYS near-ish to me.
Now that I have time and energy to spend visiting and knitting with people my problem is…they do not have times where you can just bring in a project and craft for free.

They only allow paid classes (about $60 ea class) Or they have a time where a group can pay to sit and use the room.
I am sure there is a valid reason. However, this seems odd to me. I would think that if they had a ‘Free crafting’ time ladies would come to chat, to create, and spend their crafting money in the shop. Maybe there has not been enough sales generated to make it worth while?

1 Like

That seems odd to me. Most LYS’s that I have ever been in have a table out in the sales area where anyone is free to come and knit anytime. The one that used to be in our town, almost always had people around that table. She sold lots of yarn to me by my just seeing that yarn around the room while I was knitting.

1 Like

Charging is really normal around here. I think a lot of women were coming in with yarn that they bought other places. I think it’s tough for yarn shops to survive. One of the shops around here charged a small fee but it became a credit towards merchandise.

2 Likes

Here there is both rooms available to “rent” but the LYS generally has a specific time during the week which is “free” to come in and sit & chat … I think it’s a good idea to have both. The shop needs to generate income, but also have goodwill with the community.

1 Like

When i was in college my mother asked me to pick out a cross-stitch project from the Herrschner’s (sp?) Magazine for graduation. I picked out a tiger image. It happened to be on black. I think my mother gave it to me about 5 years ago stating that she would never work on black ever again! She took her time over 15 years, but she did a fabulous job!:grin: and she feels your pain!

3 Likes

It’s unusual to me to charge and not have a “free” day too. We used to have 2 LYS here, one went under about 15 years ago and the other just last month. Both had a time that was free to come and chat and craft and you could rent a room for a class or just a group get together as well as offering their own paid classes. I really miss the open craft time, it was nice getting to meet people. :frowning_face:

1 Like

That is gorgeous!

We’ve been going through my mom’s house full of stuff slowly since she passed in 2014 and have now come to some of the oldest stuff. I don’t know how old this is or where she originally got it. It is made of metal but it does look to be mass-produced. Wherever it came from it is SO cute that I had to keep it! It is an old-school pencil sharpener, but you can turn the wheel and it causes the needle and take-up lever to move up and down. I have absolutely no use for a little pencil sharpener like this, but it is going to live on my desk anyway because it is too cute to part with.

7 Likes