September 2022 - Squishies and stuffies

Sad day for me yesterday, the end of an era. I was 16 when we celebrated her first Jubilee, and 60 at her last; makes you think, doesn’t it?

Just a couple of squishies to add - a very tiny snowman and a greenfinch.

7 Likes

Last week i was able to finish two pairs of socks and a cowl for DH.
20220917_192438

I also started 2 new projects and going to finish one which I started last spring

20220920_175026

5 Likes

I gave the written instructions on how to make the scarf - here are images of the steps - text in Finnish, but the photos give a good idea of how they’re made

(Pia Tuonosen neuleblogi: Vapaalankahuovutus vaihekuvin)

3 Likes

Good morning and happy WIP Wednesday!!!

I have a bunch of stray blocks left over blocks I am turning into NICU blankets. They obviously need to be small, but I am having fund doing them. I am able to quilt these on my machine. The QFK also brought me some small blankets to quilt on my machine. I’m having some fun with the edge to edge quilting files I have. :slight_smile:

Let’s see what you are working on!!!

2 Likes

A cold, mostly :upside_down_face: And getting one of my 3D printers up and running again, so that I can print more warp weight bobbins…

Warp all wound for another tablet band. These bobbins take pennies for weight (the cheapest bang for your 1/100th of a buck) and max out at 80-85 grams. The horizontal things are the leather-and-penny weights I’m replacing. They still work but they hang horizontally so they get in each other’s way a bit more.

4 Likes

I began my newest cross stitch pattern. First time ever working on a black canvas. I was having trouble counting the stitches and must have double counted the first horizontal row a million times. So, I put in what I am calling life lines.

Also working on a teen sized crochet blanket to give to a local charity. Hoping to be finished within the next two weeks.

3 Likes

@Hellokitten
Have you found your way over to this page yet?

I forget who else lives close to the long, central portion of California. For those of you who don’t…this is a picture of what it looked like yesterday from my area. This is a nature preserve not to far from Sacramento. Soon, the land around the wooden deck will be surrounded with water and tons of birds. Really…tons. As this is a southern migration point, or a stop for lots of flying critters.

4 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss.
She was such a powerful presence.
Forgive my ignorance … How long will the country grieve, publicly? With ceremonies and viewings and such? I would think it’s going to take a while for things to start to run in a ‘normal’ way.

Please feel free to express yourself here.
Btw…your small squishies are cute. I love the little bird.

1 Like

Those are cool!! 3D printers are awesome things. My son is in the process of building his own piece by piece. The one we purchased wasn’t big enough for him. LOL

1 Like

I use the gridding quite often in my crosstitch, I also highlight the pattern along the same lines. I think I had a pattern once that suggested this and it really works.

2 Likes

Fantastic idea with the lifelines! It might be a tad harder on the dark fabric but it’s going to look so beautiful with the floss you’re using :blush:

2 Likes

I finished up a squishy pumpkin yesterday :jack_o_lantern:

6 Likes

@Hereami - officially we’re done now, the funeral was on Monday. Unofficially everywhere you go there are still pictures of her displayed with messages about her death and our respects. I think it will take a while for it to really sink in. The handover to King Charles went very smoothly, though, and all the royals moved into their new titles and roles like clockwork. Looks like Andrew is permanently out; his brother is less forgiving than his mother of his antics. I’m glad to see it, because I don’t think anyone should be allowed to get away with the kind of stuff he did, no matter who they are. And apologies to your country for how he harmed your people.
Thanks for liking my little stuffies!

2 Likes

Oh gosh, I hate working on dark canvas, it’s so hard. I usually put a white pillowcase underneath, but I think your lines are a better idea.

I’m not British, but I agree about Andrew. I’m glad that Charles isn’t just ignoring what he did, I think that would probably give many in the country a bit more confidence in him as their new king.

Oh, and I love your stuffed birds too! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I am making progress on the Queen Elizabeth II doll I am making for my best friend’s birthday at the beginning of October. I have finished through the neck and am now at the base of the head working in a solid piece from the feet to the top of the head. The body shape is funky because she has no shoulders until I add the arms…at least I’m hoping that will help! I have a pattern, but I am heavily altering it as I go since the original was knitted flat and seamed, and I hate doing that. ATM I am somewhat stuck on trying to figure out how to do the pearls. I have a long strand of nice-looking fake pearls that will work as far as the size of the beads, I just can’t figure out how to reattach the ends into a small circle when I cut the strand. It is an old, broken strand of costume pearls (probably from the 80s or 90s), the kind that is fused to the heavy cotton string they are on, so I can’t take them off and restring them or even take one off so I have room to tie the strand. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to cut down my long strand of beads and make it into a doll-sized necklace, please, clue me in because I am stuck!

My other WIPs are a green rolled-brim baby hat (bottom) that will match an already completed pair of socks. Both hat and socks, as well as a number of other baby things I’ve made, will be donated to my local pregnancy crisis center for the Let Them Live make-a-long from Instagram.

The other item in the pic is the latest mystery Dishident/Secsquare from issue 4 of Blocked Magazine. Given that the word “live” is clearly visible already, I’m fairly sure it says “Let Them Live” in honor of the make-a-long.

3 Likes

Progress of the new tablet band.

5 Likes

My parents used to live in Merced. That is an area of the world that has the nicest people. You can drive by on the freeway and think that it’s not much to look at, but the area is full of wonderful things. I envy you that view! Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m guessing you don’t want to experiment with a lit match for those beads. I was thinking you could cut them and then tie a thin yarn or thread to connect the beads further along the strand. Maybe that could be hidden by her hair. Or maybe you could put the break at the front and cover it with another small piece of costume jewelry, sort of like a pendant?

3 Likes

@Lemming13 You are so sweet. However, you have no reason to apologize. (in my opinion) People who commit unforgivable actions live everywhere. I do not judge the whole of anything…country, city, township on the actions of a few.

I live in California…the home of the ‘fruits and nuts’. However, most of us are normal everyday people going about our business. Trying to love and take care of each other while the world is going crazy around us.

I am sure it is like that in your part of the world too.

1 Like