Process or Product?

I know, right? Took us right back to the olden days when all we had was what we made, and all the more treasured therefor. That shawl pin is one of my fondest treasures. Couldn’t buy anything like it, and wouldn’t sell it for any amount of money. That’s what crafting is all about.

Both are important. I am a knitter first, but since I learned to spin, my spinning has been about the process.

I have always loved making stuff. Everything I can, within reason. I know probably everyone here understands what I mean. Sewing, building,knitting, crocheting, weaving, and so on!

For knitting, crocheting, and sewing, it’s all about the product. When I paint, draw, or sculpt, it’s all about the process.

I think that’s because I’m not expressing myself (except through color choice) when I knit, crochet, and sew. I’m following a pattern, and creating something that’s been made before. I know the outcome from the beginning, so I’m working for the product.

When I set hand to clay, or dip my brush in paint, something arises that didn’t come from a pattern, it came from my own creativity. I start and stop, and change things, and then put them back, and sleep on it, and get angry at it, and love it, and laugh at it, and yell at it, and cry with it. It’s mine. I did that. Love it or hate it, it came from me.

Maybe if I get to the point where I am able to design my own patterns, I’ll feel differently. For now though, my fiber art addiction is due to wanting that product. I’d like to create a nearly 100%
‘me made’ wardrobe, so there are a lot of pieces I need to make to reach that goal!

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to diminish following a pattern to create a product. I’m just trying to verbalize why I see myself as a product knitter. I’ve never thought that deeply about product vs process, so this has been a good exercise for me. It also spurs me to grab scissors and fabric, and see what I can do without the benefit of a pattern! :wink:

Mindfulness shines through your every word, BonBon. Introspection, reflection, dedication. “There is beautiful you are, girl.”

Hands and heart together. Comfort and joy.

Remembering the Beatles: "Happiness runs in a circular motion . . . "

I suspect I lean towards process. I’ve noticed that I get excited by an idea but once I ‘figure it out’ I lose interest.

I know sometimes I itch to pick up my hook and sometimes all I want to do is what I call yarn doodle - playing around without necessarily having a planned outcome.

For many, I suspect there are two aspects of what we make - product-driven that keeps inventory going and more process or art-pieces that feed our soul and provide a true source of pride.

Exactly!

When I started knitting, it was more about the finished product than how I got there. After dealing with a RSI I’ve had to slow down considerably and as I slowed down I started thinking about the process more. If it was going to take me 2x as long to finish a hat, then I was going to enjoy every stitch. Slowing down has helped me learn to appreciate the details and enjoy the ride.

Oh, I am so with you on that, snickerdoodle. Approached mindfully, the journey itself is the destination.

When it’s just me and my knitting, without distractions, it becomes a type of meditation.