Process or Product?

“it sits and sits until I can find a mental slot for it.” Boy, do I recognize this dynamic. It’s that all-important mental slot that does the trick.

I’m with you, Hellokitten, right down to the hand-winding. When a shopkeeper asks me if I’d like that skein wound, I always decline, saying, “If it passes through my fingers, the yarn will speak to me.”

Nor need you differentiate the two. They are inextricably intertwined, like the very stitches they become.

Exactly

Process for sure! I’m an adventurous crocheter and enjoy trying to push the limits of the craft. I can spend hours messing about with a few feet of yarn and a hook, trying to work out a new type of foundation row, a better way to join rounds, a new way to cable (am writing a book on that one). I do enjoy using or giving away what I make, but the most fun by far is in the designing of it.

What a lovely way to describe it!

I also like to hand wind.

. . . and without fiber innovators, where would crafters be? Thank you, MrsMicawber.

I think you should take up spinning. There are a lot of ways to spin cool yarn. After that, you should take up rigid heddle weaving. Weaving uses more yarn faster. I spin while I watch TV. Good luck!

Both, but it is probably more about the process. I like to be creative, I like going over things in my mind before I start, looking for inspiration, looking at patterns (and then changing them!), choosing materials, getting started, changing things (again!) as I work and finally having something unique, either for myself or for someone else.

I used to make a lot of knitted and crocheted things as gifts, so it was about the product, but non-knitters are so used to getting things from the shops that they don’t appreciate the amount of work in something hand-made and, while I don’t expect them to go into transports of joy, I have had enough dismissive remarks that I just don’t want to do it any more. Knitters understand, but most of the ones I know make their own things and don’t really appreciate getting more of the same. I actually make more things for charity now than I do for individual people, so I still get to enjoy the process and know that I am doing some good for someone, somewhere.

An admirable solution. I enjoyed watching the auction for a shawl I donated to a local charity’s fundraising event. It went for a good price, for a good cause, and it was fun to watch the bidding.

There are three or four people in my extended family who actually prefer handmade gifts, and they make things for us, too. I’m lucky I think!

There is only one in my family who likes knitted gifts, and that is my brother, who likes hand-made socks. He is short, but with quite wide feet and he has muscular calves from playing football, so one-size from the shops just doesn’t fit, but the ones I knit for him do. We have a running joke that everyone gets socks for Christmas - it’s the law, like ugly Christmas sweaters! (I don’t make ugly Christmas sweaters, though, too much hard work for a joke.)

Slightly off topic, but discussing handmade gifts I just had to share this:

Christmas before last, Swarfy said he only wanted one thing: a hand-knitted poncho to keep warm around the house. I told him I’d design and make him one, in return for the only thing I wanted: a hand-machined shawl pin.

And that is what we made for each other. And by previous agreement, those were our only mutual gifts. It was the heart-warmingest Christmas ever.

SwarfyPin.jpg

I think the two things are both part of the reason I make anything.
I have to find some reason to crochet or knit.

Sometimes the yarn seems to jump off the shelf and into my arms…either because of the color or the texture or the need for a certain type of yarn.
I won’t make something if I do not like or understand the pattern or the yarn
If this was my paid job I would push thru and get the project done.

I haven’t been working on my WIP this week.
No mental or physical energy to.

Things have calmed down a bit at the moment so it is time to pick it back up and play with the colors and the texture.
I really should have a WIP for when I feel the most stressed and know my tension will be tight no matter what I do.
A simple cotton dishcloth might be a perfect choice.

I am a process crafter. I get much more joy watching the colors/texture/picture come together than I get from the finished product. Not to say I don’t like the finished item, but as soon as I finish one project, I am looking for/ moving on to the next shiny thing.

Oh boy, do I know the feeling!

Love these stories!

@Amore that is a great story. More people need to think this way when they are giving or receiving gifts. I would much rather get something from a loved one’s heart and hands like that than just something they bought randomly. :heart: