Other hobbies besides crafts

Knitting is less a hobby than a lifestyle, don’t you think? LOL!

I share your love of sailing @sheiskanen , but COVID has put a damper on sailing this year. My parents lived aboard for 5 years then settled in the Chesapeake Bay area in Virginia. The boat and a couple of sailing dinghies are at my Dad’s house and we can’t safely visit him because of the virus.

I am an avid alpine skier and teach in the winter - I don’t make enough money teaching to break even with the expenses involved but it’s great fun. I also work with the Challenged Athletes of West Virginia and help get adults and children with challenges, who might otherwise be excluded, out on the slopes. We have a wild time, I’m sure the instructors have as much fun as the students!

Reading is a lifelong hobby for me too @Lemming13 . I’ll read anything. Well, almost anything… History, Tolstoy, spy novels, Philosophy, biology, biography, you name it! I often have as many books in progress as I have WPIs.

On warm summer evenings I love to take a paddle in a kayak on one of the small lakes in my area. One has delightful golden trout. My daughter and I will occasionally take a paddle down a river nearby - flat water only, no rapids for us!

Cooking is fun, but I have gotten so fat lately that it’s best I not think about food right now!

​​​​​​​I’m excited to hear about what everyone does when the needles and hooks are still.
​​​​​​​

Thanks for sharing your other interests :slight_smile: - I’m sorry you haven’t been able to do sailing because of this virus that affects us all in so many ways - our season ended with last month as we now have our autumn storms - today already 63000 households are without electricity even though the full force of the storm will reach us in the afternoon

I have tried slalom only twice but with an excellent instructor had a really good time - this was in Switzerland, in Finland we don’t have mountains, only some hills

Kayaking must be fun - to be so close to the water and silently paddle along :slight_smile:

@sheiskanen - I hope you stay safe in the storms. Check in later if you can so we know you are safe. :slight_smile:

I had no idea you had fall storms in Finland, I hope you are unaffected by them.

@sheiskanen Stay safe from your storms.

@Lemming13 - the big fluffy boy in your photo looks a lot like one of our cats! :slight_smile:

@Char, @FreedomLover and @DJM - thank you for your concerns! - the storm is not so bad where I live - I just saw on TV some guy windsurfing and another doing the same with a parachute - why waste a good wind :slight_smile:

@sheiskanen that made me laugh. :slight_smile:

@qfknit, how lovely! He is only a visitor to us, of course, we don’t even know his real name but we call him Sweep because he likes to sweep my patio with his floofy tail. I hope your fur baby is a bit less messy!

@sheiskanen I’m glad you are safe! I hope you have a generator to keep your fridge running when the power is off!!!

We have a fall hurricane season, but where I live we usually only see heavy rain from the storms. My Dad gets hit by the hurricanes that hit the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. He’s prepared and seems safe. The house of a good friend was hit by a tornado recently - he and his wife are safe but it will be 3 months before they can move back home. They are only 15 miles from Dad, who didn’t have even a little trouble ( yay! ).

I can’t imagine windsurfing in your fall storms - the guy must have been flying - and a bit nutty maybe!?!

@Lemming13 - our fur babies like to accompany us when we go outside to our patio. Fortunately they also like a nice brushing, and this removes all the souvenirs of our garden from their fur so they stay soft and silky.

@EllenDeKnitter - we live in an area where most of the electricity cables are underground and the power is normally not off for more than a few hours

yesterday’s storm was close to what we call a hurricane, but we are very fortunate to live in Finland, where we have no natural disasters and even a smallish tornado is big news - we have some floods in the spring when the snow and ice melt - I say it has been really stupid to build houses so close to the rivers - I’m glad your friend and his wife are safe - whenever I see the aftermath of some disaster I try to imagine what it must be like to lose your home - your dad must have been born on a Sunday to be so lucky - good for him!

Finns are crazy, aren’t they - lol - although I guess adrenaline-junkies can be found all over the world

@sheiskanen I’m glad you are in an area that doesn’t lose power for long blocks of time!

You know how you get an idea of what a place you have never visited might be like? My idea of Finland must be entirely informed by travel brochures - I think of it as spectacularly beautiful and very wild. Now I have to add “buried electrical lines” into that imaginary landscape in my head, lol. I’m glad for the opportunity to “meet” you so I can form a more realistic idea of your home.

Isn’t it great that knitting crosses so many boundaries?

@EllenDeKnitter it really is!!

Another addition I learned from @sheiskanen is there are a lot of saunas where she is. So you can add that as well. Sounds like nearly every home has them.

Saunas you say? I so neeeeeeeed to go there! @Char

Right? Take me with you!

Count me in on the sauna!!

@EllenDeKnitter, @Char - there are still hanging powerlines in rural areas where, at worst, they can be without electricity for days - I’m not sure what they do with there freezer/fridge when the power goes out - in the winter it’s easy, you just take it outdoors

when you envision yourselves in the sauna - the perfect temperature is 175-200 degrees F - some fanatics warm the sauna up to 250 degrees F - personally, I’m happiest at 175

Finland is kind of wild in the sense that there is space - Central Europeans are very envious when they come to visit and find that you can drive for hours and see hardly any houses

Finding this warm and welcoming group is great - it’s so true that common interests bring us closer :slight_smile:

Other hobbies you’ll find me in: Gardening. Baking. Geneology. Used to play golf. Organizing everything.

Other hobbies, are reading, gardening, jigsaw puzzles and the grandchildren.

I’d say walking, but that’s been taking a backseat to sewing and it’s been so hot until this week. Hopefully I’ll get back into it after I get the skirt I’m working on finished.