October 2022

Here is a video that shows how to do it…

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=garter+tab+knitting#kpvalbx=_O_FJY9XOPOLh0PEP3qCi6Ao_42

3 Likes

Wow! Just wow! So pretty and you are so quick!

2 Likes

Thanks Linda

@HeatherAthebyne would you mind sharing the 3D printing file for your weights? :slight_smile:

I see Rhoda several times a year, and I’ll be close to @crosstitchlinda in about 6 weeks…. :slight_smile:

oooo where are you going to be in 6 weeks??? Also @HeatherAthebyne I would love the plans for the loom itself. Not that I could make it, but I might just get son in law to do it for my birthday!

Also @Char this has a link for the weights.
https://www.fiberkind.com/t/cheap-warp-weight-spool-3d-model-for-3d-printing/8891

2 Likes

Sharing because I am sure there is someone out there as stressed as me. And I am not ashamed to talk about it. I knew I was a bit stressed.

However, I didn’t realize to what extent until last night.
I went to a big box hardware store. The kind that sells everything, except that one thing you went in for…lol. My hubby paused as soon as we went in because they had the Halloween scary decorations sitting right next to the beautiful Christmas trees. It was odd to see.

Without thinking…I said, “Oh, I have to see the trees. They are so pretty.” I walked straight over , circled them and found a little place where I could be surrounded on two sides by the green and lights. Sweet man of mine. He tried to find a way I could get into the midst of them and just ‘be’ for a minute or two.

We have a rule I can’t put the tree up until the day after Thanksgiving. I may have to break that this year. I mean…I don’t have to decorate it. I can make it my Thankfullness tree…or something. LOL… or maybe, I need to find a place in the forest that isn’t burned and/or dried crispy and just spend a night or two.

2 Likes

@Char I’ve also got a model up for the inkle shuttle I use at Printables .

@crosstitchlinda I didn’t work from a plan, but here’s a marked-up version with dimensions. Main body of the loom is 3/4" thick padauk (any hardwood should work), clamps are 1/4" thick red oak with craft foam sandwiched between. The warp spreader is a metal pet comb like this one cut in half.

3 Likes

I have a friend who keeps hers up all year and changes the decorations for different holidays. I think putting the Christmas tree up really adds a cozy feeling to our family room. The only thing I don’t like is how much work it is to hang all the ornaments. I have LOTS of ornaments and they are almost all handmade by me, my friends or my kids. I looove the ornaments the kids made at school when they were little. During Covid when I knew we wouldn’t have any company, not even my daughter who lives in TX, I didn’t want to bother with the tree. A week after Christmas my husband said, “I can’t stand it without the tree.” He put it up and we just had lights. This year our daughter, son-in-law and grandson will be coming and our son lives here now so we will have the whole family! I’ll have to get all my decorations out.

3 Likes

My sister kept a small “seasonal” tree for many years when I was a kid (she is 15 years older than me so was living in her own home from the time I was about 5). It was really just a living-room-appropriate-sized tree branch that she had painted white and her husband set into plaster in a pretty pot. She kept it on a display table in her living room and changed the ornaments on it every month. My mom wanted to do the same with her Christmas tree, but it was a lot more work to change the ornaments on a full-sized Christmas tree every month, so it never lasted much beyond the first of February. The little tree was much easier to maintain and she got to show off her favorite ornaments and change which ones were used each month every year so they all got display time.

3 Likes

@HeatherAthebyne @crosstitchlinda thank you - I sent it to my son to make some.

Linda - let me know how many you would like. I will literally be in your town December 1st and have time in the afternoon if you do. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@rkennell let me know how many you would like and I’ll bring them in January at our next retreat. :slight_smile:

Gauge swatching on the back deck, watching the leaves change.

7 Likes

What are you making??

Lovely view. Thank you for sharing.
Your yarn is so pretty.

Is that a blackberry vine I see on the other side of your table?

1 Like

Fezziwig cardigan. I’ve had it in my queue for years. I’m using Knit Picks City Tweed Aran in colorway Blue Blood.

IMG_6743_copy_medium2

@hereami I’m not sure what kind of vine it is. The blackberries are all on the other side of the yard.

7 Likes

Does anyone here (or their hubbies) know anything about whittling? My son is interested and I was thinking of getting him some tools for Christmas but I haven’t got the slightest idea what the basic tools are.

1 Like

Amazon has quite a few kits for sale.
They vary, but most include. Safety glove/s, tools, a container to store them all and pieces of wood to practice with. (I did notice that some of the whittling sets are also being sold as basic carver sets)

If I get a chance I will stop in the woodworkers shop around the corner and ask them for their recommendations.

1 Like

My husband used to whittle and has been thinking about getting back into it. He said starting off with a good carving knife, a strop and a piece of Bass wood (soft wood) is all you need in the beginning. When he first started, he took a class at a community center that offered craftsman type classes. He said that would be really good too, if there are any available. With the Strop, he said there are loads of videos out there showing how to properly sharpen your blade. Your son has probably already researched that kind of stuff.
This is the knife he has, just for reference for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He also said, if you can get varying size of wood that fit easily in his hand and make different smaller items that is a good way to start. He said whales or sitting birds are a good way to introduce yourself to the craft.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I found a youtuber with great videos. He did one on different brands of knives. I think I’m going to go with Beavercraft. They were his #2 favorite and they have nice kits with a few knives, strop and a carrying case. They have one kit that also has a scooping tool and a spoon sized block of wood. My son loves wooden utensils so I think he would enjoy making a spoon.

3 Likes