November 2022

@sjuly - not yet - have any suggestions?

1 Like

I havenā€™t shown a completed picture of the quilt for our bed. It is still drying, so I laid it out on the kitchen table. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

WoW!
I think this one is just lovely.
Perhaps this is a rude question. Pls forgive me if it is. When you make this size for yourself what is the total cost for your supplies. (ball park estimate) Occasionally, I find thin quilts at big box stores and they are selling for at least $50. I was wondering if it would cost me more to buy it or make it myself.

1 Like

@Steph When you are replying to the message, just above where the typed words are appearing, there is an happy face. When you click on that you have lots of emojis to choose from. The face palm is in there somewhere.

1 Like

Well, it is Thanksgiving month for both the US and Canada, different days but same month. We could do a Thankful theme.

3 Likes

Itā€™s beautiful!

1 Like

Iā€™m not Char, but I used to do a lot of quilting as well. I have to say, if you are looking at just saving money, then purchase the big box store quilt, but if you want quality, and your very own hands on it, then make it yourself.

Fabric runs anywhere form $2/ yard to $10 or $15 / yard for high quality quilting cotton. (Prices may have changed since I was purchasing fabric) Add in Batting, remember you have a backing as well, and it comes out to much more than $50 for a bed size quilt.

However, if you are the type to collect scraps from other people that generally would end up in the trash can, and you get those scraps for free, then you could end up having a quilt top for next to nothing money wise, but a lot of time invested as scrappy quilts take longer to put together. You would only have to pay for thread, batting, and backing then (unless you put together scraps of batting as well, which I have done for smaller quilts, but never for a really large quilt ā€¦ as, tedious ā€¦ ya know?)

I feel like Iā€™m rambling. sorry if the above is confusing.

Hope that helps ā€¦ I really like quilting ā€¦ love putting the colors together ā€¦ and @char does an amazing job, I always love seeing her quilt tops ā€¦ :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t find a better place to ask this, so I will just ask here. On SkeinLink, is there a way to change which picture is the main one? (The one that shows on the main project list) I have been adding pictures as I go, so the main picture is usually a very early form of the final project that isnā€™t really identifiable. Generally, the last picture (the one of the finished project) is the one I want to be the main pic, but I havenā€™t found any way to change it, short of removing all the pics and re-adding them which I would really rather not do. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Are you feeling any better?

Iā€™m not Char either :slight_smile: but I thought of another expense to add to the list - getting it quilted. Most people donā€™t have the huge piece of equipment needed to do the actual stitched quilting after the pieces are sewn together. A friend of mine had one and it took up her whole living room. Many quilters pay someone else to do that part. I donā€™t know what that costs but probably more than $50 on a big quilt.

3 Likes

I was for a couple of days, but I think I overdid it this weekend and now I am miserable again. Iā€™ve just spent most of today in bed watching TV and scrolling on my phone because thatā€™s about all I have energy for. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

1 Like

Not yet. Itā€™s definitely on my mind, and I might do a quick-and-dumb change to the last photo being the main one once Iā€™m done with the current complicated feature Iā€™m working on.

3 Likes

No rush! I was just wondering if I was missing something. Thanks for everything you do! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

1 Like

So, uh, following up on that complex feature I was talking about ā€“ Iā€™m not calling it done quite yet but I have it running on SkeinLink now. Iā€™ve set it up so that you no longer need a separate SkeinLink account to use SkeinLink, and itā€™s tied to your FiberKind account, and itā€™ll automatically log you in even if you donā€™t have a SL account right now.

Anyone care to test? You can get to SL via the Projects link at the top of the page, or https://skeinlink.fiberkind.com. If youā€™re not already logged in, the Login link at the top will do the magic.

Let me know if you see anything that looks broken or just doesnā€™t make sense.

1 Like

Just tried it and it works well for me. In fact I havenā€™t been able to log in lately since Iā€™ve always had a bit of trouble, but this new way pops it up nicely.

Thank You for this.

1 Like

For the last couple week I was knitting a lot (due to complications during pregnancy and lots of rest time), but I donā€™t have any WIPs.
I finished the body of the aran sweater and started the first sleeve. Being bored with knitting so many arans, I also started a new jumper using British wool mix.
Iā€™m taking part in #wkxkt knitalong on Instagram from Wollyknit yarn shop and Knitting traditions podcast on YouTube. Hope to finish all of it in time and before my due date.

8 Likes

@Char As usual very beautiful quilt, so nice colours. You always inspire me to start quilting myself. Probably Iā€™ll set it as goal for the next year is to make a quilt for my sonā€™s bed.

2 Likes

Close enough to WIP Wednesday. Binding off the hem on Fezziwig, before starting the pocket finishing. Still plenty of work left on this, as both the sleeves and collar are yet to be worked.

5 Likes

Thank you for the incite and help.
I completely agree, Charā€™s quilts are really works of art. If I could I would give her the gold metal, or highest, ribbon available.
:medal_sports: :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

@Natalia I hope you are doing well this week and the rest of this pregnancy goes smoothly.

Wowā€¦your work is absolutely wonderful. It seems like a short time ago you were working on the camel design. What did you turn the work into? A pillow? A craft bag? This work helped remind me to pick up my cross stitch again.

I really want to complete something with a cable it in this year. Which cable would you recommend for a beginner. I have made a simple cable head band beforeā€¦but that was long ago.

Thank you for mentioning Wollyknit on you tube. I know several of us are always looking for suggestions to watch or listen to.

1 Like