May 2023 Chatter

I love potholders made out of Sugar 'n Cream. Store bought potholders look awful after their first wash. Homemade ones wash up beautifully.

3 Likes

What patterns will you use for your potholders?

A lady once gave me one that seemed to be doubled up, the seam was hidden. I used it for years and loved it.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m so sorry I’ve not been around lately. My son graduated high school Saturday from the academy. I am so proud of him. He has achieved enough University credits he should be able to graduate with his bachelors degree in one year.

His party is Saturday with two of his best friends. I’m still not able to craft much due to my thumb. I’m slowly putting binding on the quilts for gifting Saturday, but beyond that I’ve been cutting scrap fabric and folding yardage for my move into the other room. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations to your son! That is an amazing achievement!!

3 Likes

Excellent! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Pattern? I can’t read crochet. I just freehand it.

The ones I made decades ago were round. I made two and topstitched together with a loop for hanging.

I’m going to try a square version this time.

2 Likes

That’s wonderful!

4 Likes

Happy Memorial day, Everyone! And thank you for your service if you have served!:us:

2 Likes

My favorite are pocket potholders I made.

2 Likes

@HeatherAthebyne
I think it was you who posted a mini cross stitch project. I loved it and wanted to copy cat it for a road trip. All I remember is the beautiful pattern was worked up in red. I think it was a square celtic design and could fit into a small metal container. I went thru the last few months in the chatter feed and cannot find it.

Do you remember posting it?
I will do an internet search later for small designs I can take with me …but I really liked your set up.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make logical sense that college students pay for courses that mostly review what they learned at no cost to them in high school. It’s true though. I didn’t even finish high school in Virginia before testing out of and coasting through college courses in Maryland. So why NOT…instead of just saying a student did “honors level” math and English in high school, or even the “You’re so far ahead of grade level, you can just sit in the back and read” I got one year, why NOT give bright, bored high school kids the option of doing a college level project and getting college credit for it. They’ll be paying enough for the specialized college courses that aren’t taught in high school.

I don’t like a system that makes such things possible, if I think about it–but cheers to your son for pulling it off! Very cool!

1 Like

There’s something off-putting about Stanford’s “concurrent BS and MS” degree program too, but he sounds like the kind of student who can do it.

1 Like

In theory I knit while reading review copies of new books online…but in practice I keep dropping the knitting and taking notes on the books!

2 Likes

My son was actually at a high ability high school at a university. It was a residential dorm style school away from home. That opportunity allowed him to take University courses as well as advanced and dual credit high school courses. It is an amazing opportunity for gifted kids, and I know it changed the course of his life given only a few years earlier he didn’t intend to pursue education beyond high school. He will proceed on to get his masters degree, and I am very proud of him. His professors at the university were able to get special permission for him to compete nation wide at the collegiate level, and see his potential to do great things. I’m told he is one in a million. I can’t speak highly enough about the need for programs like this for gifted kids

Furthering education isn’t for everyone, and “trade” and home careers are just as important to make the world go around. I value all professions.

3 Likes

https://www.fiberkind.com/t/december-2022/9009/139

2 Likes

@Char - thanks for including me in the zoom-chat invitation - however this Friday we’ll be sailing our boat from winter storage to our home harbour - maybe the following Friday I, too, will be able to attend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I was in high school (about 30 years ago) the “honors” class was actually combined with the AP or college credit class. They had finally decided that giving advanced kids college credit was more useful than just saying “You’re smarter than your grade level so you take this class that is the same as college, but doesn’t actually give you college credit.” My oldest went to the same high school I did and it was still set up that way when he went there. I always thought it was a great idea for the same reason you stated. I also participated in a program where students who qualified got to live on the college campus over the summer term and take a few college classes at no cost but we still got that credit. I had all my English requirements, and most of my math and science credits finished through that program before I even got to my senior year. I chose not to do any college-level classes in my senior year, even though I qualified for a few because I wanted to be able to enjoy my extracurriculars and not be busting my butt to do college classes.

2 Likes

Ah, don’t get me started. We homeschooling moms have lots of questions like that!

3 Likes

Thank you

Was there a sign-up for this weeks zoom? I didn’t see one in my notifications and was wondering if I missed it somehow.