May 2021 Chatter

Good morning! Amazingly windy here. I had planned some garden work this morning…

I don’t know where to post this. But can anyone tell me what Skein Link category is? I see projects, but there is no explanation and my brain can’t figure out the purpose. Perhaps the title is throwing me. I was hoping it was patterns. I just don’t get it.

And why don’t we have an organized pattern database? We really need one. That is in my opinion the main thing this site is lacking.

Skeinlink is a place to record your stash and projects. I think you need to join, I joined when it was testing. So there are no patterns but people often record what patterns they have used.

There is no way to join; it appears open to all.

No where is mention of the purpose. i.e. no explanation. That should be stated at the beginning as you explained it.
Also there is no organization that I can see. I am an organized person by nature.

@Hellokitten - are you signed up for SkeinLink? It is a WIP and right now I have to sign you up. I can do that if you would like - just PM me your email address.

We had a wonderful time at our first FiberKind crafting retreat. We decided we needed to schedule another one, so we are aiming for October 22-24, 2021 in Danville Illinois.

Here are a few things we worked on:

I’ll share more in a bit - right now I have some family and unpacking to attend to

:fk:

7CB98137-6A62-4D6F-A9B1-5D6101BE3418.jpeg

F6E07EEC-9E58-4ADA-998A-5B49E395EA25.jpeg

E6060A2D-CD10-4417-9BC9-F6134B78AADB.jpeg

It’s so great that you all had a good time and got lots of crafting done!

Wow! Looks like great fun. I’m hosting a writing retreat at our family cabin in a couple of weeks. Sometimes it’s just good to get together with like-minded people.

How fun! Next time advertise it! It would have been a blast to attend, too.

My guess is that having features like a pattern database costs money to hire a techie to design it and get it running. Skeinlink was designed by a member who volunteered her time. I think she is having health issues now and hasn’t been able
to work on it.

This is a good time to remind everyone to utilize as many affiliate links as they can. I try to always remember to do my Amazon orders through the Fiberkind link. If I recall correctly, Char had told me you can’t add things to your Amazon cart and then go do the link. You also don’t have an unlimited amount of time once you click
the link. My method of making this easy is I created a Fiberkind Shopping List on my lists. Adding Fiberkind to the title helps to remind me I need to do the affiliate link. When I am shopping and identify what I want, I add it to my Fiberkind Shopping List. When I’m ready to buy, I go to Fiberkind and click the link. It’s easy then to move the items from my list to my cart and then checkout.

There are ongoing expenses to keep Fiberkind running. The bare minimum we can all do is help out by utilizing the affiliate links. I’m sure Char would love to add great features when Fiberkind generates more income.

Beautiful work! So glad you had a great time.

We posted it in one of the groups. We tried to keep this first one small since we were trying to learn as we go. But - anyone is welcome. The facility is very nice and stair free for those who have difficulties.

Thank you @lovestostitch - I feel like I am begging when I keep bringing it up. But - we have to earn money somehow to support the site. I don’t think anyone realizes how much goes into the site - dollar and time wise. Any help at all is appreciated.

I keep forgetting about the Amazon affiliate thing. Thanks for reminding us.

Are there other affiliates?

Glad you all had a wonderful time!

@Hellokitten - if you go to “Forums,” look on the right side. It says “Important Ways to Support Fiberkind.” You can make a donation or underneath the “Donate” button you see a link to the Affiliates page.

I almost finished my king sized Calico Stars quilt top (It’s a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial) and I have to figure out how to take a picture of it. It will stay a WIP for a while, it’s a project for some time in the future and quite frankly I’m tired of wrestling with it, it’s huge. I’m going to go back to throw sized quilts for now. It has two small borders and will have a couple more eventually, I didn’t find fabric that spoke to me when I looked at the LQS. That and the following thought process told me it’s time for this to hibernate for a bit. I had a yard of fabric for a second border and wanted to make sure I had enough before I started cutting, I knew I would need two strips for each side and wanted them to be 3-1/2 inches wide. I proceeded to do this math in my head: “3-1/2 and 3-1/2 is NINE and 9 times 4 is 36 so that’s really cutting it close.” For those of you who don’t know, I’m usually quite good at math. Once I get a picture of it I’ll wrap it up for storage/time out and eventually come up with a way to set up my machine where I have a better place to support some of the weight of it.

I look forward to seeing a picture!!! Sorry for the struggles, but the reward in the end is sure to be worth it.

@rkennell spent our retreat weekend spinning. This turned out so beautiful!!! I think she is warming up for Spin De Fleece - it is about time to get that up and running again. :slight_smile:

Kelly worked on a beautiful owl blanket. I really want to learn how to do designs like this.

My mother in law also attended. She worked on quilting baby quilts:

more later - I better get back to work. Lol

F774F1B2-CE39-4493-9F59-9EEB1AB4A2A3.jpeg

672DD8C4-F0B7-4C64-93CF-794692505BAF.jpeg

4EF62401-1BC9-4AFE-8DEA-8616940C218B.jpeg

It’s going to be beautiful. It will be rewarding when you feel up to finishing it. I like to put a project away for awhile to get more inspiration to finish it. Can’t wait for pictures.