March 2023

@Lemming13 very cute. Don’t worry about your back yard. For me it is winter and most things are still sleeping outside waiting for warmer weather before they leaf out.

@Char wow! is there an easy way to cut that many pieces for a quilt? That seems overwhelming and difficult.

My goal for today…set a crafting goal for the month…lol. No more overthinking on this.

1 Like

@hereami - yes, it is done in strips. No little pieces!!! Looks much more complicated than it is.

1 Like

@hereami I start with 2.5” by 16” strips of scraps and sew them one on top of the other. I’m using 6 strips with black going down the “center” of each one so black has to be first or last.

I sew the bottom strip to the top strip to make a “tube”.

Then I cut the tube into 2.5” rings

Then I split the seams one by one, each one a different spot than the others.

Then I Match them all up so they go in a “diagonal” and stitch them into the finished block

(I haven’t stitched these together yet but it will look similar to the block above)

Today I am working on pillows for the homeless shelter.

I don’t have one finished yet but will post when I do.

5 Likes

I thought I had finished this needlepoint ages ago. When I measured it so I could buy a frame, I realized I was 1/2" off on both directions from being able to use a standard size frame. I just finished adding that 1/2" on two sides. Now I can frame it!

9 Likes

On the 6th day of March I am making pillows for the homeless shelter. Complete with a carrying handle.

4 Likes

Very pretty!

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Thank you. You gave very clear directions.
This does look easier than having a bunch of little piece to keep track of.

2 Likes

Is it difficult to frame something yourself? Does it hold up well after self framing? I have many cross stitch patterns waiting for me to start because either I lacked wall space or funds to have something professionally framed. The last time I has something framed was in the 90’s.

2 Likes

If you search for framing on https://www.needlenthread.com/ , Mary has a lot of good info on doing it yourself.

3 Likes

I had good luck with Michael’s doing framing and it wasn’t as costly as others. Placed my cross stitch in the county fair and it took a 2nd place ribbon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As most of you know, I am quite involved in Quilts for kids…. This is an awesome fundraising opportunity for the group.

https://www.petermanhcp.com/charity-showdown

If you would please take a moment to scroll down to division 4 (I think you have to cast a vote in all four of the division 4 options) and vote for Quilts for Kids I would appreciate it greatly.

You can vote daily.

4 Likes

Done :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had things framed and I’ve framed things. If you don’t need a mat and can find a standard size frame you like, it is a lot cheaper to do it yourself. You just have to stretch the item well so it looks good. It’s definitely easier to pay someone else to do it!

3 Likes

Vote cast.

2 Likes

@Char Vote cast. It was pretty close when I voted. (682 to 611) That is close enough to catch up and win this round. Go Team!!

Char, I was thinking about you yesterday. I finally got around to figuring out how my garage sale find works. It is an old, mounted, sewing machine. A universal from the 70’s I think. With a knee bar to operate it instead of a foot pedal.

All went well. I was able to use the knee pedal without issue. Nothing worthy of showing online. But still…I met a craft goal. One that had been sitting there collecting dust for almost a year now.

I have a ton of denim scraps. I would like to use the place they are stored for something else, so I want to use them up soon.Perhaps my next goal should be to buy a template and a rotary cutter and cut them into use-able pieces.

2 Likes

Prayers for you

2 Likes

Happy Wednesday Everyone,
I am happy to announce that I found the yarn that I needed to finish the Embarker Cocoon Cardigan and it is done . Free pattern in link.

My only WiP now is the socks and I am up to the heels.
I’ve been painting and washing windows, so it’s slow going due to wrist discomfort. I want to get back to my spinning!

9 Likes

This is so beautiful. You did a great job!
Love the shawl pin, too.

2 Likes

On the 8th day of March I continued work on my scrappy trip around the world. :slight_smile:

@hereami - I look forward to seeing you grow in your sewing!!! :heart:

5 Likes