March 2021 Sock KAL - Chat

@FreedomLover I learned the technique from a pattern from Frankie something several years ago. I have played around with my joining stitch to get to where I am okay with the seam lines but I don’t think I’ve had a problem with a poof in the middle, unless I’m forgetting, which is entirely possible. You cast on 10 and then make 9 garter ridges. You want to make sure to join into each ridge one time as you go along the sides. I bet some people have made videos. I’ll be posting videos of the two I’ve been working on for my WIP Wednesday this week.

I got my scraps out yesterday and realized I needed to add a few squares to my mitered square “blanket”which may end up being a pillow instead. Then I will know what I have left. I don’t have a huge amount, but enough I’m sure for more than one pair. I am thinking of taking an unloved skein of KP Bare tweed sock yarn to use for the helical stripes. It is DEEP Stash!

I just had an epiphany. (Don’t you just love when I say that?) I could dye that skein of unloved yarn any color I like! I wish I had thought of that before I wound it into a ball yesterday, lol.

Ugly Sock yarn, before and after. The ball is brighter blue, the skein is more teally blue.

File_000 (3).jpeg

File_000 (1).jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

Moved my Scrappy stash to the April thread.

I made an April chat thread so you can post your scrappy pictures there.

Whoa, that looks like fun!

@PurlgirlButtons On our Zoom chat today, PurlgirlButtons and I were discussing how to set up for helical knitting with three colors. I had previously watched a video and made an attempt to do the Helical with three colors. I divided my sock in thirds. So for 60 stitches I put markers at the beginning of the round, at 20 stitches and 40 stitches. I had knit the cuff in one of my three colors so I used that yarn as my first color. I placed marker #1 at the beginning of the round and I knit the first 20 stitches in that yarn. At marker #2, I added yarn #2. I knit to marker #3. At marker #3, I added yarn #3. What I discovered is this doesn’t work as you get to a spot on each round where you have to knit double the stitches. It was very hard to describe so I made a diagram to explain it.

We have a blue yarn, orange yarn and purple yarn in the three positions. (Diagram #1). We take the blue yarn from the start and knit to the second marker (diagram #2). We now pick up the orange yarn and leave the blue behind. We knit to the 3rd marker. Look ahead. There is no yarn waiting at marker #1. Solution - next post

25828F32-6319-4D69-BB2D-9AB53BE2D5B8.jpeg

One more day to get your finished socks posted!