Lace Knitting for All

@lcnrainbow I totally understand it. I can’t solve those things either and I am a pretty experienced knitter of 65 years. Moving on is the best solution. Some other day you might try it again, when you have more experience in lace. If not, who really cares? There are plenty of beautiful patterns out there. Maybe that one wasn’t the best written, not your fault!

Knitterlady13, how often are you on airplanes? Sounds like a lot… I traveled 1-2 weeks every month on average. Always had a knitting project with me but by the time I would hit the hotel room I was often too tired to knit! Was SO ready to retire though I loved my work, I got to the point where physically I was unable to keep up the pace. When I was done I was done, I have loads of fond memories and have friends for life, but I have not missed working at all. Best there is now soooooo much more time to knit!

My husband and I are hoping to retire in the next couple of years. Fortunately we have a great staff at work who we trust to run things when we’re gone. The internet has also made it easy to work while we’re away also. Since our son went off to college last year my husband and I are traveling for pleasure a lot more. (We also travel/fly for business, but that’s not nearly as fun.) I’d say 5 or 6 trips a year plus occasional work trips (usually for trade shows) requiring air travel with at least half of them being long-haul travel. We’re enjoying not being tied down by the school year as much, though we are trying to make sure we plan a trip in the summers with our son and hopefully a trip at his winter break. We have to limit our travel to some extent since we do own a business and we also have 4 dogs and a cat. Plus I always have concerns over leaving my mom for too long. She has Alzheimer’s and lives in a memory care facility, but I still worry. I’m usually so wiped out by the time we’re ready to travel that I sleep on most flights. I often try to knit while flying, but don’t get a lot done. We took a 3 week trip in February and I think I knit maybe 5 rounds of a hat. Of course I’d packed 3 projects because I just KNEW I was going to knit the entire time on our flights. LOL! We had almost 100 hours of air travel on that trip (including an 18-1/2 hour layover in Dubai) and that’s all I knit!

I hope you can retire when you want to, I highly recommend it! I still have to pinch myself…it just hits me every once on a while that my vacation is permanent! :cool:

In response to my own post, here is one of my favorite lace projects, given as a gift to a friend. This is Feather Duster by Susan Lawrence. I knitted it in lacewight mohair and it really is light as a feather! This shawl worked up quickly and the pattern is easy. This would make a good “first” lace shawl for new lace knitters. It is also a great pattern for mohair since the pattern is easy there was very little tinking involved, something that can make mohair maddening!

20190519_132029.jpg

Holy wow, what a resource!

Agree! Reading the knitting and stitch surgery are essential to lace knitting for me too!

They are truly a huge key for me too in keeping track. I cannot imagine getting to the end of a long, laborious row and being a stitch over and then trying to find the missing YO…my most common mistake! Er, that should be a stitch short…Not over…:no_mouth:

That makes sense to me…the stitch specifically says w yarn in back, but if the next stitch requires the yarn in front I should go by that versus the stitch description. I thought there was some magic wrap I couldn’t figure out… :upside_down_face:

No, slipping with yarn in back or in front typically means you’re wanting to make the strand that crosses the stitch be either visible or invisible. If you make it visible, you get some kind of slip-stitch pattern, like tweed stitch. If you make it invisible, then you’re simply getting an elongated stitch.

(If I had my druthers, we’d abandon “in front” or “in back” and instead use “to RS” or “to WS.” In slip-stitch patterns, since you WANT to see the bar of working yarn, you’d always slip “with yarn to RS,” whether you’re working a RS or WS row. If you don’t want to see that bar of working yarn, you slip “with yarn to WS,” again whether you’re currently working a RS or WS row. It’s no so important a distinction if you’re working a pattern flat, but if you want to switch the stitch pattern to be worked in the round, you have to constantly be aware of the fact that you’re never going to be looking at the WS.)

Well this is why I am so happy to be a member of Fiberkind…you are all so encouraging! It really is a lovely day in the neighborhood.:sparkling_heart: Thanks to all for understanding and for helping me remember that knitting is supposed to be enjoyable! Not to say a project doesn’t sometimes need a timeout in the naughty basket, but golly, how we spend our discretionary time should bring more pleasure than pain!

Ha! Yes…sometimes projects do need time in the naughty basket! My current project is sitting there right now. Maybe I’ll go back to it tomorrow. It’s not even lace…it’s an easy garter shawl with some funky shaping at the bottom. I think the yarn and needles don’t like each other. The yarn is splitty and my garter looks uneven. Tomorrow I’m going to grab my Signature stilettos out and see if that helps. Blocking will help, but I have to do something else before I rip the whole thing out.

Also, pro tip…don’t try to fix errors in splitty yarns while flying through turbulence! On my second flight on Monday I ripped out all of my progress made on the first flight! Garter - it’s supposed to be mindless!

I usually used air time to do some uninterrupted work on my way to an engagement and on my return flight I would be so exhausted I would make too many mistakes if I tried to knit. Too, after being in wall-to -wall meetings for 3 or 4 days, my usual posture on the return flight would be neck pillow around neck, eye mask on, silencing earphones in, fav tunes playing, arms crossed, and a definite “don’t bother me” body posture… :wink:

@lcnrainbow I often sleep a good deal going both directions. I guess it’s lucky that I never have trouble falling asleep. Sometimes on return flights I’ll spend some time editing trip photos or just goofing around online if wifi is included with the ticket. More often than not, I put on a movie and promptly fall asleep. I tried watching a movie on our flight to DC last week. I made it about 15 minutes before I was gone. I’ll try to finish that one on our trip in October since that’s a much longer flight.