Knit-a-long - Gwendolyn Lace Shawl

Thanks, everyone–I may end up joining you soon. I am on my way to FL today with my hubby to visit my parents, so I hope to get in a serious amount of knitting on my sweater during travel and in the evenings while at my folks.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your visit. My daughters and grands have all visited Florida and love it there. I’m only working on my shawl a very little bit at a time so I’m sure I’ll still be plugging away when you come on board. lol I do love travel knitting but I usually only do socks or hats so that they are easily portable even on walks.

Good reminder to use lifelines! I haven’t put one in yet but I definitely will before the end of the first chart and then probably every ten rows or so. I’m another fan of chart knitting. I’m a visual person so they work well for me. Knit Companion really is invaluable with charts like this because it gives you a “highlighter” line to mark which row you are on and a vertical line to mark which stitch you are on if you have to stop mid-row. That’s in my free Android version. I paid for it a few years back but didn’t end up using it for a long time and it lapsed. Haven’t decided yet if I’ll go back to the paid version or not.

@knitter131 Yes, I like the casual way we do KAL’s here, no pressure. It’s all good things today, just not much knitting.

I’m so glad you are feeling better @knitter131! I agree with your DH, you should take it a bit easy.

I’m in awe that everyone making this is using lace. It’s such a pretty pattern and all these pictures show such nice work.

I’m enjoying watching the progress!

Thanks, @pinesprairie - it’s a relief, and I really do feel back to normal today.

I hope you all don’t mind - I’m enjoying all of your posts and stories here. :fk:

oh - and the beautiful shawls!!! Maybe I’ll bring up the rear with @rkennell :slight_smile:

Yes, we are having entirely too much fun! You should join in! I will tell you, though - it’s such fun, it’s hard to set aside. @pinesprairie is our mascot, she keeps us smiling and laughing every day :heart::heart:

It’s a fun knit and I’m sure you have the perfect yarn for it in your stash.

Is anyone doing this in fingering weight? I don’t have laceweight and really don’t like working with it.

Knitswithhorses and freedomlover are both using heavier yarn. I might suggest you use a size larger needle and figure on using a little more yarn than stated in the pattern. Also, please go back to post #4 to see my notes about beginning the pattern.

@KnitsWithHorses - I’m still in awe of you being able to knit while walking! I haven’t figured out how to do that!

I put almost all of my patterns on Knit Companion! I love it. I do have the Android paid version but I think it’s well worth it!

Thanks @knitter131 I have done a lot of lace and most of the things are standard, except for not charting the K1 between the YO’s, thanks for the heads up on that.

I learned chart reading while I lived in St. Louis. I was knitting a shawl at the lys store where the designer worked and she talked me through reading the charts. Great fun.

@rkennell I also use knit companion. I finally bit the bullet and bought an iPad so I could get the enhanced version of knit companion. Best investment I ever made! The color coding and setup really help me with recognizing the pattern stitches. Here’s what a fully set up chart 2 looks like, for example:

DC8B34D0-9138-4D5C-A2D2-5A0248928994.jpeg

Wow! I do love the colorized chart! I have an Android tablet and I thought about getting an iPad but really like to have it sync with my Android phone, so I’m still torn. I need to update my tablet in the next few months, and I do like the option of the color version of KC, but I’m still not sure yet if I’m ready to make the switch.

That was what took me by surprise as well. I love knitting from charts and so far this one is nicely done but I was really glad Kathie gave us the heads up about those stitches in between that aren’t charted. That would have given me a headache for sure. I am using a size 4 needle with fingering yarn that claims 30 sts to 4 inches on the label. It’s certainly coming out last enough but I could wish I had chosen a smoother yarn. This is an alpaca/wool blend that is fairly rustic.

I always use an Android phone but I had an iPad and loved it. But my grandson broke it so I went back to my Android Tab A. When I have to upgrade I’ll probably get an iPad and just make it a no kid zone. Lol

I’m now up to row 52.

What with this, a moebius scarf and some weaving, someone’s going to have to invent a 36-hour day for me.

Close up of shawl.JPG

Shawl after 52 rows.JPG

I’m using an old-fashioned pencil and ruler!

The graph looks impressive, though.