January 2023

It was 26 at my house this morning.

I love this one so much, it is just beautiful. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Brrr!

I’m so frustrated with trying to get my craft room finished. We’ve gone to Ikea twice looking at products and trying to make things work. I want two 30" wide x 24" deep x 75-90" tall units with solid doors (no glass) and shelves (no clothing hanging rods). Thought a few of their wardrobes might work but they can’t have shelves added. The one that can have shelves was out of stock and has ugly doors. Two other products that would work were also out of stock. I’ve scoured the internet but it’s really hard to find deep units. My only two options seem to be to wait for Ikea to get stock or spend a lot on ordering cabinets.

So far, all I’ve accomplished are painted walls and getting my garbage and recycling organized. I did get another one of these units in a smaller size today - one opening with three shallower bins. I’m going to put that by my sewing table for a place to put scisssors, pins, etc.

4 Likes

I like this unit. Everything is very organized underneath.

I understand your frustration with getting cabinets. When I need something I ask my FIL and he sets me up.

2 Likes

@Hellokitten ellokitten I am thankful for the break in rain. But, wow…the cold hit me hard. I got to meet @Majormomma and her dear sister, in person, the other day. I felt bad, because when I shook her sisters hand my own were ice cold. Seriously…ice cold. That day I bought a skein of yummy yarn to make some warm finger-less gloves.

@Char such a beautiful quilt. Do you know who will get this one?
@MBearMakes I love the heart pattern in the blanket.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I don’t know who will receive the quilts of valor one. I’m donating it to the local group. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been diligently working away on my FO’s this month. FO’s so far include the blanket I posted 10 days ago, and these socks, which you may remember I started June 30 last year. I am up to 9 of the 28 squares I have planned to finish the Summertime Granny Squares KAL blanket.

@KnitsWithHorses I’m praying for your grandson Caleb. I know prayer works!
@hereami, I imagine it is kind of hard to get excited about making knitwear when you live in Cali. But there are some nice cotton and bamboo blends that would make nice cardigans and sweaters. But now that I think of it, I do remember needing a warm coat in So Cal in Dec. when walking around looking at Christmas lights. You are about 300 miles North of where we lived in MoVal. And it was coolish and rainy all January.

7 Likes

I have to show you all the Big Score I found this weekend at the dump. I cleaned it, oiled it and it runs like a dream. This was made between 1959-1961 because a lot of people couldn’t afford the Featherweight which had more options and fancy gold paint decoration on it. They were between 40-60 dollars new. This one was in a faux wood sewing table, which I don’t have room for in my house, so Steve took it out (2 screws.) He is going to build a small wood base for it.

10 Likes

They sure don’t make things like they used to!!!

1 Like

Maybe you’re not meant to buy your cabinets at Ikea. So much of their products are garbage.

Where else can you buy cabinets? Or can your husband build them? I thought he was pretty handy.

1 Like

I don’t really want to spend the money on high end cabinets or expensive furniture for my craft room. The Ikea items we looked at weren’t junky. They were really sturdy. They aren’t wood which would definitely be an issue in a damp environment but in my craft room, they won’t be subjected to harsh treatment.

What I would love to do is take one of the solid wood entertainment centers I see being given away for free. No one wants them anymore so they can’t sell them but they are great storage cabinets. A little sandpaper and paint and it would be great. Only issue is I’m terrified of used furniture bringing in bed bugs. From what I’ve read, there is no way you can inspect for them. They can hide in the joins of the wood. We have an old entertainment center and I use it as my appliance garage. My hubby put shelves in the spot where the tv was and I keep my pressure canner in there and behind another door, I have lots of other small appliances.

My hubby is very handy but building something would probably cost more than a high end cabinet. Besides that, he already has a project to finish for me. I like him to make creative things that can not be purchased at a store like my tall size salad table planter. This year’s project is a hinged, screened lid for my green beans. I can’t grow green beans without protecting them from cucumber beetles. Last year I did a tunnel with row cover material. It worked great but it was such a pain to get the fabric off and back on when I harvested - which was every other day! Harvesting should be much easier this year.

Row covered tunnels. Note all the boards that have to be moved to get the fabric off.

My tall size salad table with hinged lid. If you look in the background, you can see my teal colored potting bench he built for me. It has a sink and running water!

4 Likes

Hi @Nyssareen - 50 knitted wraps and shawls by Marisa Noldeke has done really nice patterns. I originally found it at my local library and eventually purchased it because I liked so many of them. One of my wips is the pattern Elin, but there are others that you might also like - Alima, Lanah, Aurika, Zena.

3 Likes

:pray: how’s Caleb doing?

2 Likes

@PurlgirlButtons Love those socks.

Right now in California the weather varies. Something for everyone, just have to drive a couple of hours to something different. Thank you for the pattern ideas. Would the cotton and bamboo stretch out quite a bit while wearing?

My old van with over 330k miles about to retire. Mechanic said it wouldn’t be wise to try to fix her. She was a low mileage rental when we got her back in 2008ish. For those looking for a decent used vehicle. We used CarMax and had great results so far. We were able to purchase a great, low mileage, previous rental, vehicle there last night. I have 30 days to decided if I really want it and 90 days to get everything fixed…if I need anything fixed.

2 Likes

What kind of car did you get?

1 Like

It has been a hectic week here. The snow is coming, hopefully it won’t be as big of a snow as they are projecting.

Yesterday I finished the main part of the black and red quilt above. I will hopefully be adding borders tonight and then off to the quilter!

Then I have two more graduation quilts to finish…. Well - start and finish. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Happy WIP Wednesday!!! What are you working on today?

I am working this morning, then after work I hope to be finishing my bargello that I didn’t get done last night. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@lovestostitch We wanted a truck. After researching things quite a bit we discovered used trucks are not that much cheaper than a new one out here. We opted to purchase this used vehicle. Doing so allows us to have a vehicle that isn’t going to fall apart as we drive while continuing to save for our dream truck. I have an appointment with my regular trusted mechanic to do a presale vehicle inspection. Armed with that info I can see CarMax with any repair needs. 2011 Jeep Liberty. I might name her Belle. lol…Liberty Belle…LOL

@Char this week I am purging the house of the un-needed Fantasy Self items I have around here. Three stacks…Keep, Rehome and toss. So far it is going well and my trash can was full. The only snag is waiting to hear back from the people I am rehoming things to. I should have given them a decide by date.

It feels good to get rid of those things. Honestly…even if I was the same weight…those pre-children pants aren’t going to fit the same. My hips are just not where they used to be…lol.

My craft wip of the week is a crochet blanket, I am now adding a bit of orange edging.

2 Likes