January 2022 Sock KAL - CHAT

I went to my library’s website and checked their catalog from there vs on Overdrive. I discovered they also use Hoopla which I’ve never heard of before. They do have some sock knitting books on Hoopla. I just borrowed a Month by Month Illinois gardening book!

How will be pick a designer that everyone can access a free pattern? That sounds tricky. The only designer I even remember by name is Adrienne Fong. I have her pattern “Flutterby Butterfly.” She has lots of patterns and they are all free now because she made them all free before she passed away. I think she had cancer. I think the only place to get them is R.

I just thought of an idea. What if we each pick our favorite pattern (that’s free) and I post a list of those patterns. Anyone who knits one of those patterns (but not their own recommendation) has met the monthly challenge. Do you like that idea?

I think that would be great. I need to see if Nathan Taylor (Sockmatician) or General Hogbuffer have any freebies available outside of R. Love their stuff. But I have quite a few that I’ve discovered on IG and some if the free websites that I really like too.

I started a February CHAT thread. Keep talking in this thread but post your favorite sock patterns/designers in that Chat thread. The sooner you post, the better so people can plan their February socks.

Being perpetually broke, I have found LOTS of free patterns out there and most of the designers who have their own websites have a least a few free patterns available on them. I’m sure we can find plenty of free patterns online that everyone would be able to access to make the designer theme work.

If we just nominate a designer we like with more than one free pattern and we knit one that we haven’t knit before will it count?

I thought of that too as I was looking at the designer I like but I think it defeats the purpose. I think we all need to choose someone else’s loved pattern/designer.

I’m hoping for some non-lacy loved designs. My cold feet can’t handle lacy designs during the winter.

I did divide the yarn, but it is a self-striping yarn with a weird repeat. I just want to use it up, so I don’t care. I want to start a collection of non-matching socks

Progress Pic

IMG_0986.jpg

I actually like the yarn. Lol

Have you ever done then"Ugly Duckling" pattern? It is great for any yarn you don’t really like, especially a self striping. It’s one of my favorite patterns. It’s a mosaic.

Well I’m just going to count on doing mosaic in a sock as my something new and save the gusset and flap heel for another sock. Trying to do that hell (at least the way MDK had you do it) while keeping in pattern for my mosaic was looking like it would be annoying. I really wanted the heal a solid color and didn’t want to slow down my momentum long enough to figure out where to knit solid and where to keep the pattern going so I just went ahead and did a short row heel. I think I’ll do they Synchopation socks again and this time actually do the fleegle heel as written in the pattern for my first toe up gusset and flap. Been wanting to make socks for my hubby and those would work for him.
Here’s my progress. My other needles are otherwise occupied so I’m having to do one sock at a time. :confused:

IMG_20220116_214121__01.jpg

The sock group is one of my favorite parts of fiberkind, with or without the prizes. Maybe we could just do a prize once or twice a year or quarterly or something? The prizes are fun but they really aren’t the reason I enjoy the group. I do like the themes as they make me exercise some creativity once in a while. And on the months when I need to knit other socks or that theme or color isn’t my cup of tea, I just… Knit some socks. :blush:

@lovestostitch No! She didn’t mean “sick” like “ill” or “gross” she meant “sick” like the kids say (said? Do they still say that anymore? :thinking:), “that’s sick man!” :metal::sunglasses::rofl:

I think the themes I enjoyed the most were specific enough to push in a direction but vague enough to be open to a different interpretation by each of us. “New technique” was a great one, and color suggestions are great. With that being said, a specific technique is also great. I LOVED the helix technique and probably never would have even come across it if not for the theme. (No idea if this was at all helpful :smile:)

@lovestostitch and @Nyssareen I’m just thankful ornery autocorrect didn’t do what it usually does! It usually tries to change sock to suck! You would think after how many times I changed it back to sock it would quit that! I think they still use “sick” like that and also “dope” but I’m afraid my slang is still stuck in the 70s and 80s. :joy:

If you usually make your socks match and these won’t, maybe THAT is something new. :wink: