Ideas for Publicizing OU

@annekepoot I have minimal stash, too. My thrifty nature likes to find ways to use things up. I didn’t particularly care about my project info.

But yes, having a pattern search engine with filters was huge. Looking forward to the day when they can develop such a thing here.

I learned to knit in the dark ages and taught myself. Also learned to solve my own errors, etc. But I really enjoy brainstorming with other knitters and getting new inspiration.

It all takes time - but yes such a search function is in the plans.

Excellent. I’m patient.

Check the Marketplace. You’ll find that a well-thought-out pattern search engine already exists. All we need is more vendors.

Oh! See, I never would have looked there. Thanks for directing me there.

I think there needs to be a big header sending people to Patterns. Because, like I said, some of us need neon lights or we just drift around, clueless…

To help publicize OurUnraveled forum & marketplace, are there #hashtags on social media related to knitting, crochet, and even one for OurUnraveled…?
It might be helpful to make a list of those and encourage their use.
:slight_smile:
(I am not on facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, etc.)

no, but there could be - something to think about

On social media such as facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat… can any member create a #hashtag?

@Hellokitten agree, a yuge header or a link on top of a home page.

I think they can. I don’t do it, but my niece did it constantly.

It is my understanding that webcrawlers are accessing this site, just as they access much of the internet.
Content posted here, including photos, gets indexed and displayed on web searches.

As we near the middle of the KAL for the Americana Keyhole Scarf, I did a web search for “Americana Keyhole Scarf.” [INDENT]My free patterns are the first 14 images shown.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=2]- 6 are linked to knitting paradise as a source

• 5 are linked to ravelry as a source
  • 2 are linked to OurUnraveled as a source… and these are labeled "a day ago ." This may increase over time.
  • 1 is linked to pinterest as a source[/INDENT]

[SIZE=14px]Existing systems leverage the content we choose to post, publicizing OurUnraveled, as well as helping to define the image or “brand.”[/SIZE]
Members may want to be mindful of their Group names, Topic names, post contents, and photo captions.
These may be quickly replicated and exist long after edits/deletion.
Members may also want to be mindful of what they name their image files, and documents, prior to uploading them to OurUnraveled.
Think in terms of naming your work to match keywords which you may anticipate yourself or others utilizing in the future… to find your work in a web search results list.

Just my 2 cents.

Although I also want to “get the word out” I do admit to holding back a bit -first because at the moment with only a few volunteer moderators - it is taking a fair amount of my “free time”
and second because given the plan to “re-brand” (remember the suggest a name survey) - kind of waiting so that there won’t be link issues with the various search engines.

@wheat - While I understand the concern about potential broken links in the future… [INDENT]1) it does not negate the benefits of being mindful of what is posted
2) it is a moot point… webcrawlers have been accessing/indexing
3) there are systems in place for removing outdated content from search results lists, such as when a website is deleted/renamed[/INDENT]

This was so informative! Being non-tech savvy (I’m lucky I can open email) I had no idea about naming uploads to the site. I will definitely have this in mind in the future!

@Camillelace73 - Just to clarify… I have no inside knowledge about this site in particular… just a general knowledge of how items end up in results lists… and how time consuming it can be to clean up after a website take-down. Some websites do turn off access to webcrawlers. Their content does not show up in search results lists.

the info you provided is useful, I was just expressing where “my head is at” at the moment. Had it been directed at you it would have been as a comment - not as a reply
and yes, the necessary redirects are part of what is involved in the process.

@wheat - - Thanks for being a moderator… you mods are the best. Without you, we would not have this wonderfully inclusive site.
You are appreciated!

About publicizing the site and managing its rapid growth… I hear you. There is good and bad in everything. Hard to achieve the balance between the positives of growth and monetizing the site… and the downside of extra effort involved in transition, clean-up, etc.

@Admin, would you be interested in creating a sticky note at the top of these places… pointing to the OU Marketplace… to raise awareness of it and provide a link to it, in a handy, convenient location for those who are looking for patterns…?

1. Forums > Knitting > Knitting Patterns (https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/knitting/knitting-patterns)
  2. Forums > Crochet > Crochet Patterns (https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/crochet/crochet-patterns)
  3. Groups > Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns (https://vb.ourunraveled.com/sguncategorized/free-knitting-and-crochet-patterns)

I agree. I’m always mindful that nothing on the internet is necessarily private.

When posting on Instagram I have been using the hashtag ourunraveled (which will now be using fiberkind) when sharing project pictures. Also on my podcast I have shared the site and have a group for the podcast set up here.