Harry Potter K/CAL

YAY for double dipping!!

Agreed! :slight_smile:

Greetings! Can you please tell me more about this - I am a complete newbie to the HP K/CAL world. How does one become part of a house? Do you accept muggles? :stuck_out_tongue: This sounds like fun, and not quite as overwhelming with a small group.

Can someone show me the way to the sorting ceremony?

Somebody will get over here to help guide you through sorting.

Thank you :slight_smile:

So sorry! It’s county fair time and I’ve been off the grid with the kids presenting projects and working the fair buildings. Join whatever house you want! This is a very laid-back group just wanting to share our loves of making and HP with other enthusiasts. There’s some info and guidelines in the first post. Please don’t hesitate if you have any other questions.

Woot! Thank you :slight_smile:
Good Luck at the county fair!

I finished the scarf! Now I just have to weave in the ends (yay.) and add the fringe and it’ll be complete

20190718_045452.jpg

Yay!! It looks awesome!

You’ve inspired me! I went digging through my stash looking to see what I have that would be suitable for a house scarf. Love how yours turned out. Did you cut the yarn for each stripe or carry it?

I’ve finished my Ravenclaw scarf! I’m going to try to do my completed project post, but you’ll have to forgive me if I get something wrong, I’m still working out how to use this system. If I do anything wrong, let me know and I’ll fix it.

In 2010, I made Hogwarts House scarves for my boys (Gryffindor and Slytherin). My oldest boy is now married and I gave a box of his childhood stuff to his wife, which included his Slytherin scarf and she just went nuts over it, wishing she had one for her House (Ravenclaw). Since her birthday is August 4th, I thought a Ravenclaw Scarf would be the perfect present for her.

My House: Ravenclaw
Yardage: 381 yards = 76 points
Theme Bonus Points: yes (birthday present) = 5 points
Stash Only Yarn: yes = 5 points
Points Total = 86

image-55359090-cf21-4357-a1cf-3a4bae00c5f8.jpg

Project counted.

I’m looking for some feedback for future K/CALs. Please “comment” on this message when giving feedback, if possible, so it doesn’t get lost in the rest of the thread. Feel free to offer feedback until the end of this K/CAL (end of August).

1. While I’m happy to host, I don’t want to exclude anyone else who may want to share hosting duties. If interested, please don’t hesitate to let me know!
  2. Do you prefer 30, 45, or 60 day K/CALs?
  3. Do you like the “bonus” challenges in addition to the theme challenge? This time it was to knit from only stashed yarn. But it could include anything… knit with oldest or newest yarn in stash; knit with your favorite color; include lace or cables… etc. or would you prefer points just come from yardage and theme connection?
  4. Would you like to know the theme for the next K/CAL two weeks prior to the start or at the very beginning of the previous K/CAL?
  5. Would you like the post to stay in the Knit-a-Long thread or post it under the Harry Potter group?

Thank you all! In the meantime, keep those HP inspired projects coming! You’re welcome to submit more than one project to help your house accumulate points. However, you must have completed the project during the time frame of this K/CAL (no turning in something you finished prior to July 5th; Snape wouldn’t like that).

I’ve hit the homestretch on my first Hermione sock. Still managed to have a hole from turning the heel, but hopefully I can figure it out for the second sock.

IMG_20190722_211251.jpg

Is that an eye of partridge heel? I love that heel; always looks so intricate.

And I love the background! When the Cubs won the World Series so many people (as I’m sure it happens with every team) were so critical of other fans saying they were bandwagon fans. The Cubs were my grandpa’s team. Spending summers with my grandparents growing up, I watched hundreds of games with him over the years. With any loss, he’d say, “We’ll get 'em next time.” He wanted so badly to see them win. When they won in 2016 (Papa passed away in 2010), our whole family was on facebook that night whooping and posting pictures and remembering Papa. The Iowa Cubs are the minor league baseball team here in Des Moines. We have lots of Cubs gear around this house. Although, you could be a San Francisco fan and just gotten a great shot of your socks with the Cubbies in the background… :wink:

How do I enter? I just started “free styling” a crochet mandrake last week! How do I know what house I’m in for this group? Pottermore sets me as Slytherin, although I will be playing the part of Professor Sprout at an event this weekend.

Welcome! Choose whichever of the four Hogwarts houses you would like. Post #1 has the general information as well as the points count for each house. Final house points will be divided by number of finished participants in each house to level the playing field.

@JLeigh thanks :slight_smile:

OK, thoughts…

First, I’d be happy to help host K/CALs if you need it! That kind of goes with Question 5 as well - I’d love to see them hosted in the Harry Potter group, if people like that idea! For me, that’s mostly so I have one place to check in for all of my Harry Potter love! That being said, I’d love to have additional mods over there to help run things like this.

Second, again, this would probably mean needing extra help, and 8’d be willing to step up. It might be fun to run three consecutive K/CALs - a 1 month, a 2 month, and a 3 month - that people can pick from, based on project size. If we want to include points, maybe the longer the K/CAL, the more points?

Third, I love the themes, as long as we keep them open, so as many people as possible can participate!

Ahhhh!!! I have fallen into the trap of “The end of August is ages away, right?

My plan was to start a Sasquatch sweater (it was going to fit into the theme, promise. :wink: ) and I’m still only on samples. I just finished that one last night, but I think it may still need some work: I’m not happy with the face.

The plan is to have the main color of the sweater in blue and the Sasquatch in brown. (It has a bit of a Ravenclaw vibe that I like. :wink: ) I don’t want to go forward until the pattern is pinned down, but I feel like I really must get started soon. Maybe I’ll do the sweater in pieces and start with the back panel. :smiley:

ABC66EB7-2676-48F3-B449-35119F773BE4.jpeg

A697DA5F-E908-40C4-9763-766F95081C5E.jpeg