Photo 1 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf in Red Heart Super Saver yarn, colorway “AMERICANA” E300 3943
All images in this post are my own.
This free scarf pattern is really just my set of design and construction notes, which I have shared elsewhere on the internet. After receiving a compliment on my avatar (this scarf) from a fellow forum member here, I decided to update my notes and share again, in this space.
Cozy, practical, classic keyhole scarves and knitting patterns for them have been around for decades. Many free knitting patterns for keyhole scarves are available online. That said, enough people have asked me how I create my American Flag scarves, or Stars and Stripes scarves, or patriotic scarves that I have jotted my notes down to share. This project is at a beginner’s level, both in using basic skills and in being a shorter scarf (therefore requiring less knitting).
This reversible scarf with one keyhole is knit flat in various sizes using Red Heart Super Saver “Americana” self-striping yarn (5 ounce skein, 236 yards), which lends the scarf its name. One skein is enough to complete a scarf!
This scarf is knit beginning at the bottom edge of the first tail, working up to the keyhole, making the keyhole, then progressing around the neck, knitting the tuck (or optional second keyhole), and then finishing with the second tail.
- Each hand knit scarf will be unique.
- Gauge is not crucial
- 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver “[B]Americana[/B]” yarn (or 1 skein each: Red, White, Blue yarn of your choice)
- 1 set of knitting needles, US size 8 (5 mm) or size you are comfortable with for number “4” worsted weight yarn
- 1 stitch holder or small circular needle, for dividing alternating stitches for keyhole
- 1 small scissors
- 1 tapestry needle or crochet hook, to weave in ends
- About 10 hours of time (will vary depending upon knitting skills, experience, speed, and size of scarf)
Photo 3 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf with 4-stitch reversible cable edges, main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)
Photo 4 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf with centered 8-stitch reversible cable, main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)
Photo 5 of 5:
Americana Keyhole Scarf in 2x2 ribbing, with main color Coraline (Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” - Stone wash 03)
- This pattern is also posted in the Group “Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns,” in the Topic called Knitting Patterns - - Free Forever.
- Readers of this post may also be interested in the related design:
Americana Keyhole Scarf, Bunting Style.