February Sock KAL - CHAT

The Gothix socks that @Nyssareen posted are also a slipped stitch technique where you only use one color per round. I’m really curious to see how it compares to mosaic. I’ll start them as soon as I can get up to the barn. I’m feeling a bit better but not good enough to trek thru the snow up to the barn where my yarn and winders are. We’re up in the 40s the next few days and then 50s so by the time I am good to get out of the house I’ll have good weather for building my stamina back up. :blush:

Anyone have suggestions for future monthly themes? I don’t mind dreaming them up but you all have had some great ideas. I never would have thought of helical knitting but I love that I learned how to do that.

Socks inspired by your favorite movie.
Socks insured by your favorite tv show.
… Favorite song.
… Favorite singer or band.
… Favorite literary character, favorite book.

You could also pick a country/culture and have the theme be anything related to that country/culture. For example, March could be Ireland and you could do anything with Irish yarn, an Irish technique, featuring shamrocks, or by an Irish designer.

In a similar vein, you could also have it be a country/culture the maker is descended from. With us Americans, we typically have a lot of different cultures in our ancestry, so it may give us a wider choice than someone whose family has lived in the same country for many, many generations, but there are a lot of different techniques and themes you could pick from a single culture. You could also open it up and just say for each maker to choose a culture they like and use a technique, pattern, or color(s) that represent that culture to them.

I also love the ones we’ve done in the past where it is just anything that is new to each maker, as well as the ones where a specific technique was the theme (helical knitting anyone? :heart_eyes:). Doing more like that where the theme is cables/mock cables, colorwork, mosaic, etc could also be a great idea.

@Nyssareen - I love your Irish idea for March. I’ll add that to the schedule now so people can start thinking about what they want to do.

@Nyssareen Or traveling stitches! I love traveling stitches.
In April, it doesn’t matter what theme is named, I start making summer socks. Just for practical purposes, I have to. :person_shrugging: So I’ve enjoyed the Spring/garden/what’s outside your window kind of themes around that time of year.

I agree, the “out your window one” was great!

I think we would have to do “out your window” again, not “Spring”, because there are many of us who may not be feeling Spring in early April. We’ve had snow in April!

@KnitsWithHorses - I didn’t know what a traveling stitch was so I looked it up and the pattern she was using was Business Casual. I’ve done that pattern and really like it so I’ve done traveling stitches without realizing it.

https://youtu.be/jdoqp0PF0-4

The Gothic socks that @Nyssareen posted and I’m knitting right now basically combine mosaic knitting and traveling stitches. :grin::grin::grin:

@KnitsWithHorses - I’ll have to take another look at that. When do we get to see your progress?

I got a late start thanks to Covid so I’m barely past the cuffs but I’ll probably post a picture in the next couple of days cuz they are looking super cool in my opinion. :grin: I’m making them for Harmoni so they are the XL size and slower going but she is already in love with them. But I absolutely can’t work on them sleepy which is also slowing me down cuz I’m still sleepy a lot. On the bright side, sleepiness and a weird headache seem to be my only hangover from covid. I seen to have gotten a pass on the wicked cough @Nyssareen is having to deal with.

I actually decided to go ahead and take a photo of my start on this sock. I do two concurrently so the other cuff is completed too. I wanted to mention, in case anyone else tries this and sometimes just jumps into things without really thinking it through… Like me. :grin: I originally cast on with the wrong color. The pattern says to cast on with MC. I looked at the photo and thought, well, the heel and toe are the solid blue so that must be what she means by MC. But actually, she refers to the color that you want the traveling stitches to be as the MC. I did 6 rounds before it dawned on me and I had to start over.
You could probably have the colors reversed but with my head as muddled as it is right now, I wanted what she refers to as MC to be what I was using as MC. Usually I switch up all kinds of things and rarely follow a pattern as written but this ain’t that time. Lol It definitely changes the look of the sock when using two contrasting solids. I’m loving it.
[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: IMG_20220210_145300__01.jpg Views: 0 Size: 122.3 KB ID: 123445”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“123445”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Also worth noting that if you can make the smallest size of this pattern, it will look a bit different and, in my opinion, the transition from cuff to pattern will be much prettier. There are 4 repeats of the chart in each round. In the size small your slipped stitches will flow directly into your traveling pattern like those on my first needle. But for the larger sizes she simply added one or two extra stitches at the end of each repeat (in other words at the end of each of my needles) that are not actually worked into the pattern so that throws it off to where it doesn’t flow like that.

@KnitsWithHorses So glad you’re starting to feel better! We have come to the conclusion that my brother must have caught it at work, and my younger son and I must have caught it from my older son and his wife because we seem to have had slightly different strains. My older son and dil got sick at the beginning of January, and they both had a mild fever, a wicked headache which both lasted only a few days, and the hacking cough that they have only just now completely gotten over. They came down to visit us the day before they first got sick. My brother first got sick on the 13th and had a fever that lasted about 4 days, the horrible headache that lasted about a week, and the bone-tired exhaustion, but never really had a cough. I got sick on the 19th and my younger son on the 21st, and we had the same symptoms as my older son and dil. My brother works in a school, so he is exposed to a LOT of germs, where my son and I don’t go out among actual humans much. My brother also works insane hours and doesn’t live in the main house with my son and me, so there are weeks when we have very little exposure to him, so it isn’t unreasonable that we wouldn’t have caught it from him. I’m glad you seem to have caught either the same strain or reacted the same as my brother because I wouldn’t wish this horrible neverending cough on anyone! :mask:

@Nyssareen yes it sure sounds like we have the one more like your brother. My son got the one with the vicious cough but I hadn’t been around him in almost a month as he is over the road truck driver. He is back on the road as of this week but still has quite a cough. But since he tested negative and passed a pulmonary fitness thing, they let him go. He also has asthma so I thought maybe that affected it. Gini undoubtedly got it at work and I assume I got it from her although I do go into the feed store and dollar general fairly regularly so who knows. I am VERY thankful I didn’t get the cough. The cough I had with the original covid in 2020 tried to kill me!

@KnitsWithHorses I’m so glad to hear your son is able to get back to work! As annoying as this cough is, it is NOTHING to the one I had when I first had C19 in May of 2020! I was hospitalized then and the cough was constant and horrible. With this one, I am tired all the time and get bad coughing fits, but I can go quite a while without coughing, so I can actually get some stuff done. My oldest has asthma too, and he is the only one of the 4 of us who got the cough who has had O2 level problems. My dil, younger son, and I have all stayed over 90% whereas my older son dropped down to the high 80s a couple of times. I thought he should have gone to the doctor with his oxygen that low, but he didn’t want to and he came through it okay. That’s the “fun” part of adult kids, you can have opinions, but you can’t make them do anything anymore! :confounded:

@Nyssareen Oh ugh… Yes her probably shouldn’t have taken that kind of risk with oxygen that low but you can’t tell them. Cameron want going to go in until his DM at Shipex called him and became concerned by how bad he sounded and said, I’m going to arrange a ride for you. You need to be seen. He was just hiring on with them so he behaved. Lol I’m super thankful for that guy. His was hitting the upper 70s at times. When I found that out I freaked out a little because that low, you aren’t necessarily fully capable of reasoning properly. That low we WOULD have made him if he were at home. His wife and I would have ganged up on him. We are very close and yes, he is a mama’s boy but we had no way of knowing as he didn’t have a pulse ox with him. He usually does because of the asthma but it didn’t make it into his luggage for the trip. He also didn’t have the stuff for his breathing treatments. His pulmonary function recovered a lot faster than they expected it would, thankfully.

It’s looking really good!

That looks like a great start … they are going to be amazing socks :slight_smile: