Excellent Article That Makes A Lot Of Sense

Just got finished reading this piece and I have a few thoughts. First, let me say that I am a black American, a woman, a former member of the US Army, the daughter of a retired US Air Force Sr. Master Sergeant, and the mother of two former US Marines.
This article traces the very fiber of the conflict going on in the US House of Representatives. This article mirrors all that has been boiling under the surface of our now un-civil society. The attitudes thought processes and actions mirror exactly what is happening on a daily basis on our college campuses, at workplaces and in public schools all over this nation. I am surprised that it did not hit Ravelry sooner.

What bothers me most, as a former soldier, military dependant, and mother of two former Marines is that our ability to REASON and I did mean to put that in caps; is dying. Reason, compromise and the exchange of ideas are being blacklisted. One side is willing to reason, at least for now and the other side is not. The side that is unwilling to reason, exchange ideas, and talk, is pushing the side that is willing to talk, reason and exchange ideas to the breaking point!!!

This is dangerous indeed! Once the side that is willing to talk, stops talking and begins to act the way the other side wants them to act, then there is no backing out of that violent rabbit hole! If we want to keep what remains of our civil society intact, there is only one thing left to do and that is to pray. Yes. This old soldier says, get down on your knees and PRAY! If you are not in the habit and were at one time, then return to it. Yes! Everyone! Pray. I am a Roman Catholic who now understands that prayer is all we really have that makes any true and lasting difference in this world. The first thing it does, is change you. Yes, you the person. God acts thru prayer. I don’t know how. I don’t know why he uses this vehicle to amend this broken world but, he does.

Prayer causes us to slow down. It makes us concentrate on something more important than ourselves. It causes us to look at ourselves in all of our grief and sorrow, concern and worry and we can place those things at the feet of God and say what needs to be said. We can express anger and hatred and disappointment in prayer and question “Why Lord” This is good for us. We need to shout at God sometimes. I have done it. Don’t worry. He can take it. Just read the bible. So many stories in that book tell us of those who have screamed at God and he did not strike them dead. He is a big God. He already knows why we are screaming and, if we listen to his answer, he can remedy the problems.

I guess this is why I am writing this post. Only God can remedy Ravelry, Casey, Jessica, AOC, Trump, The US government, poverty, hatred, sin, death, and hell itself. But all of us must pray and ask God’s ever-present intercession each and every day. If we don’t, then, bloodshed is inevitable. There are too few of us who take what I am saying seriously. As a former member of the military, guns, bombs and fighter jets have limits and in the wrong hands they cause more problems than they solve. They have their place. But they are not what is needed in this time and space. A return to Christian belief lived out on a daily basis and a solid, steadfast faith in Our Lord Jesus Christ thru God the Father is all that will save this aching, blood-soaked world.

America is at a deadly crossroads and Ravelry was the canary in the coalmine. Some may disagree. But when knitters, spinners, crocheters, dyers, pattern designers, and other relatively peaceful crafters turn their crafts against one another in a kind of satanic hatred, vitriol and social violence, we are in much more trouble than we know.

Barbara Jackson Rickman

Amen! That was a wonderful post. I wish everybody in the whole world could read it every morning. Thanks!

Excellent article. Thank you for posting. Since R went evil I have discovered so many wonderful websites like the one linked here. The degree of hatred and violence is insane.

Hey! It’s me. Who are you on IG? haha. I was so happy when I found out I was featured in an article. Then I prayed that it was in a positive light. It was a rough week last week, and my BFF, Jesus, knew I needed a win. So He sent me this insightful and thorough article. I’m so happy that you found me through my “Diversity In The Knitting Community” video. One of the oppositions in my Ravelry video found me through that same diversity video, and complimented me for being a rational voice, and then later accused me of being a white supremacist. I guess that I changed so drastically in months. Go figure. (facepalm) God bless, sweet friend.

Amen, Amen, and Amen. God bless, sweet friend.

Hallelujah Amen!! You are so on target!!

Barbara, I grew up in the military, it’s my heritage, going back to my great grandfather. We live minutes from the USNA and attend the Chapel. Every week in Chapel, we pray for our government; we need to pray daily, every time we think of it, pray! I won’t say much more because I think you said it all. There’s just so much anger…the other night, I texted a college friend about a funny memory involving the two of us. After she giggled, she then began spewing unprovoked venom about Trump. I should have stopped the discussion immediately but since she said something about how she felt the 4th of July parade was exploiting the military and how “your dear parents would feel”, I had to say something and I kept my cool. My parents left this world several years ago and though I don’t believe they’d like Trump personally, I believe they’d appreciate that a president supported the military! But what disturbed so much was even though I hadn’t said a word about politics, and I almost never do, she felt she had to rant on and on. I DID end the conversation and won’t begin another one unless I’m ready to stop her in her tracks. I won’t go on, it’s late here on the east coast. God bless you, thank you for your service, for raising two marines and for your sharing wise words!!

@TinaHill that was amazing. Thank you for sharing that!

Thank you. The article is well articulated and brings to mind of a quote by Maya Angalou. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Attacking from both sides only perpetuates alienation and isolation, something that has become a problem in society as our primary source of human contact continues to occur online.

Barbara, Thank you so much for putting this so eloquently. I attend daily mass and believe me when I say I am praying like I have never prayed before. People need to open their eyes to see just how dangerous this behavior can be. @Floppy2

Pray your rosary for Casey and Jessica Forbes. They need a real spiritual awakening and they need it now. They could be such a blessing to so many but they have to turn their hearts back to the True Good that can be found at the foot of the cross. Each Tuesday a group of us meet at one another’s home on a rotating basis to pray for the clergy of the church, one another and this world. They are on our list. Pray also for those who have been hurt by all of this. Businesses have been damaged, friendships lost and hearts broken. A lot of damage needs to be repaired. Find other of like mind and form a cenacle as we did. Meet weekly or semi-weekly and pray the rosary, eat and fellowship. It will bless you beyond measure.

I am fortunate enough to belong to a very vibrant church. My husband is a Deacon and we pray not only with our church community but also with our Diaconate community that our country returns to God. I will certainly add them to the list as well. It is sad to see the world turn away from God. There is always blessings when we as believers pray. God is Good! God Bless You Always. @Floppy2

This is such a wonderful read. I hope the founders of that other site (the name seems to have faded from memory) have read it although I have serious doubts about that. :wink: