Electric Eel Wheel Nano

Finished my first bobbin. Couldn’t believe that it would hold 2oz of fiber! I’m guesstimating that I’ll have about 800+ yards of 2ply once I finish the 2nd bobbin. Woo-hoo!

adda539afc177a68487bcf7749765a73jpg.jpg

Got mine today! It will probably be a week till I can actually play with it - school just started back up. The bobbins are so tiny - I hoped to use this for plying after I spun singles on my traditional wheel, but I’m not sure, after reading initial reports…

My own experience makes it seem like the motor may not be powerful enough plying. But that may be a personal thing. I tend to set the take-up pretty strong when plying to keep me from over-plying the yarn. I’m using the Nano for laceweight singles, then will ply them on my Lendrum. Since I can get 2oz on the Nano bobbins, two plied should all fit on one Lendrum bobbin and give me a lot of yardage without breaks.

Got mine yesterday. Spun a 20g fibre sample on it and it worked GREAT. No issues, no overheating. Used it a little bit today on a battery pack, again, it was great. No issues at all that weren’t my own learning curve on a new machine. Very impressed so far! Seems to be a fantastic little wheel.

Guess what arrived!!! Now to tame the tension…

6de4404971fba0e0d251c56d87a5c920jpg.jpg

I bought one through the kickstarter, which I heard about on Facebook. This is my first wheel. I’ve only done drop spindle before, and that mostly with the parking method. There is quite a learning curve but I am pleased with it.

99d8cea121f835847663c62e943957fbjpg.jpg

I think it will be great to learn on because you can get the drafting part down without your feet distracting you. There are lots of tips in the FB group on making sure everything is working properly. Sometimes things aren’t snapped in all the way or something is rubbing to create drag where you don’t want it. Feel free to ask here too.

I finished my first yarn on the Nano and am very pleased. Wasn’t sure if I’d like an e-spinner, but I’m almost convinced that it should have a big sister.

56ef08727dc2edf396e54d55fcce1ab9jpg.jpg

That is stunning yarn. What a great way to get the sense of an e-spinner at a reasonable cost. And it will fit in a lunch box!!!

A friend brought hers to our spinning group earlier in August. We all tried it. I was skeptical before I tried it. Then resisted ordering for a couple of weeks. Mine arrived on Tuesday. Currently I have left it at work and spin for 15 minutes during my lunch hour. This is an amazing little wheel!

I’ve gotten mine and used it for about a week. I like the idea of it… but the tension fiddlyness is an issue for me. I’ve tried the hacks I’ve found but… I’m not convinced.

Looks fab!

My Nano has been sitting here for 3+ weeks waiting for me to play. I haven’t had time or energy for it. A FB friend suggested I read all the various issues in the EEW FB group first. She also had to glue her pulley in place. I hope I don’t have anything to deal with. Right now I don’t have the patience for issues. I had a mini that would overheat after .5 hr with the tension sweet spot I found. That was annoying. If I lightened up there was no uptake. So I sold it incase someone had a softer spinning style for it.

Praying the Nano’s motor is better. It would be nice having something to travel with.

Haven’t taken mine out of the box yet - it’s arrival coincided with the beginning of the new school year, which is a busy time for me as a teacher! I’m starting to get nervous, though, after reading what others have said about it in various places. I bought it mostly to ply. M plan was to spin singles on my traditional wheel, then ply them on this. We’ll see how that goes!

Hi Peeps! New Nano purchaser here and I am patiently??? waiting for it to come. I live in MA, so hopefully it will be quick since it’s coming from Central MA. Since you all have almost a year of spinning with your Nano under your belt, maybe you can suggest what a good type of fiber to learn with. This is my 1st spinning wheel ever, so total newbie. I am wondering if anyone has taken any of the Craftsy /Blueprint classes on spinning. There are several and the annual fee is half price right now.
PS: I started a Group for Beginner Spinners, I hope that’s ok. :o

I am not a spinner (yet, have been tempted, resisting). I am going to earburn @rkennell and see if she has opinions. :slight_smile:

Be sure to join in the spin de fleece too!!!

As I was looking at the Bluprint site last night, I noticed that the CEO posted a letter on the front page. Thinking it was the repetitious covid19 announcement I didn’t pay too much attention. But then I read it and found that the company is shutting down and from the research I’ve done, it appears that July 22 is when it will end. I decided to go ahead with it and am sending myself to “ virtual spin camp“ and try to get all of the classes and notes taken that I can since none of my LYS’s are open.
I would love to know about some You Tube channels that specifically focus on e-spinning that you all find particularly helpful. Thanks!

Hello @PurlgirlButtons – I’m eager to hear your experience with your Nano! It would be perfect for taking on the road. I have an Ashford Traditional and love it, but you certainly can’t toss it in a suitcase and go. Right now I’m in FL taking care of my Mom and I would have loved to have a spinner on hand! I do have a drop spindle, but haven’t mastered that enough to really love it.

As far as classes go, I did take a couple on Craftsy/Bluprint–I think I really enjoyed the one by Felicia Lo called Spinning Dyed Fiber. It was very helpful. I also like anything taught by Judith McKenzie and Sarah Anderson, but neither of those are in Bluprint. If Bluprint comes up with a way to download the classes you buy, it would be a good idea to buy some and download them before they close.

Not online and not specifically e spinner, but The Woolery has many spinning DVD’s for sale. Both wheel and spindle. Also some that look like good basic information.

Thanks @crossstitchlinda and @rkennell. The Felicia Lo class will be my next after Foundations of Spinning. I’ll keep you posted in the Beginner E-Spinner group.

This might be helpful. I have one of her books (Spinner’s Book of Yarn Design) and it is well done, but I have not seen this video.
https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/products/power-spinning-the-modern-spinners-guide-to-electric-spinning-wheels-with-sarah-anderson-video-download