December Sock KAL - CHAT

I saw some tutorials calling themselves helical knitting that were the same as jogless joins. Why don’t I include links to the techniques that people in this group have tried and recommend and others can choose which one they want to try. It will be fun to see what the finished projects look like.

My biggest problem is going to be having enough scraps. I like dk weight socks and one skein isn’t enough so I typically measure off extra yarn from a second skein and dye the right amount of yarn. I have very small bits left over.

Oh well heck, now you’ve reignited my mitt knitting fire. Lol I think I’ll have to make some Nalus. That color is really very pretty! Nice job on your handspun as usual!

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/131347355_5562730953752311_7072604576524874193_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=0H1rY8rqVXoAX9BivGN&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=6b893de6f5de7039fb4eb87f672cf635&oe=6000C31C”}[/IMG2]
A friend posted this on Facebook … and I just about put coffee through my nose.

Hello all! I’m a “newer” sock knitter, and have sort of gotten the hang of two at a time toe up socks. I’m wanting to start a pair with a contrasting color for the toes, heels, and possibly the cuffs. I’m good on the toes and cuffs, but when do I start the contrast color for the heels? When I start the gusset, before I turn the heel? Or when I start to turn the heel? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What kind of heel are you doing? I do Fishe Lips Kiss heel or afterthought heel or short row heel. I rarely do a gusset. That makes it pretty easy to know when/ where to change colors and doesn’t interrupt any stitch pattern you might be doing. Doing the gussets in the CC (in the only way I’ve done gussets in toe up socks at least) would be awkward. I would think the contrast color would just be the heel turn and flap. It’s going to be easiest to do the CC when you are only working the heel stitches and not going across the instep stitches because you’d be having to carry the unused color around. But I’m sure someone who likes gussets in their toe up socks will chime in.

I do cuff down, but do use a heel flap and gusset. I agree with @KnitsWithHorses that using the contrast on flap and heel turn works well. Contrast on the gusset will leave you with a band of contrast around the ankle.

I also like contrast on the heel flap and heel turn (not the gusset)… also contrast at the toes… also at the cuff.
:slight_smile:

Merry Christmas sock knitters!

Did Santa bring anyone else sock yarn? I got a skein of Regia Cotton Tutti Frutti. I’ve been wanting to try it and my daughter got it for me. I’m going to have to wait until February to use it.

6392B1F4-F405-4538-8928-A8FC8B950153.jpeg

Wow! She’s now the favorite child. :wink: No yarn, but I got two knitting-related t-shirts. One says “Jesus is my savior, knitting is my therapy,” and the other says “a good day begins with coffee and ends with knitting.” My hubby is a keeper.

That is perfect for February socks! Curious to see how you like it. I’m one of the few I know who like cotton sock yarn.

Oh yeah! I would wear both of those! Love it. Lol

Great shirts!

I used to buy Crystal Palace Panda Cotton for socks and loved it but they discontinued it. I’m looking forward to trying this.

ARGH! I had some leftover yarn and decided to try a challenging pattern I downloaded a while ago. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kraut Oh. My. Word. Let’s not even talk about how many times I’ve ripped it back so far. But I think I’ve finally wrapped my head around that heel and how it goes together. I have one completed to the start of the gusset. I will finish this pair, but whether or not I’ll ever knit it again is up in the air at this point. :wink:

I downloaded that pattern years ago but haven’t ever attempted it. I’ve got a bunch of General H patterns. He is definitely creative!

I cannot resist a knit leaf lace.
:slight_smile:

I love the leaf lace too, and that’s why I downloaded the pattern, but that HEEL! Honestly, it shouldn’t have taken me THREE tries to get it right, but … it did.

Interrupting for a public service announcement:

I hate purl two together through the back loops with size 1 needles.

That is all.
You may now resume your normal FiberKind browsing.

I have never had to P2togTBL with needles that small, but I sure HATE doing it with larger needles, so I can imagine it’s that much worse on size 1 needles, so I agree with you!!

I guess I’ve been lucky. I don’t think I’ve ever purled 2 together through the back loop. I’m interested to see the pattern you are creating.