December 2022

https://www.flustar.com/

Probably TMI for most people. But, I thought I would share. There are so many people ill in my area that it is affecting every area of life.
School districts have several missing teachers and employees, retail, even the dog groomers. They are not shutting down business, but they are restricting things to ‘appointments only’ and reducing hours and such. Masking is optional. Although testing thru the sewer system shows elevated viral shed, covid hospitalizations are not astronomical at this time. It all seems to be mostly major cold/flu and bad cough symptoms.

Not scared over here. Just trying to stay as healthy as we can living near a metro area of over 2 million.
Stay well and keep crafting. (And watching those Holiday shows) :christmas_tree:
Watched the first Home Alone last night. Not sure if it was a censored version or not. It was on a Disney channel.

1 Like

Just in case anyone missed it, @Spice2s has set up a Christmas Card Exchange :christmas_tree: for anyone who wants to participate. It’s over in our Harry Potter group but you don’t have to be a part of that group to participate. We just want to spread Christmas cheer :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’ve started a cardigan in honeycomb pattern - I started with ribbing because I wanted the garment to pull into a ball-like shape - however I have two problems with the button bands - there aren’t enough rows to pick up stitches for ribbing and ribbing would be too heavy and pull the delicate fabric (the other yarn is very thin mohair) down - so I’m thinking I’ll knit the button band in garter stitch - do you think it will clash with the ribbing? - the pattern has garter stitch in it, so I thought it would be ok to knit the button bands using the same

5 Likes

I love singing Handel’s Messiah! I was in the chamber choir in college and we combined with the college concert choir and orchestra, and the local Heritage choir (non-school audition choir) to perform it and it was just so much fun and so beautiful. While the Hallelujah Chorus is great, I love All We Like Sheep, it is just so much fun, but I also love For Unto Us a Child is Born and Behold the Lamb of God. I love so many of the songs that I can’t just choose one. I am always so pleased with myself when I listen and can remember my part for most of them almost 30 years since I learned and performed them. I hope your granddaughters enjoyed the performance. I’ve always enjoyed every performance I’ve seen. :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Yes, we all enjoyed it very much. They did not do the whole thing, but did do the majority. They didn’t do one of my favorites, the final Amen chorus. That thing is very difficult to sing. I too sang it in College and still have my score. I have to keep myself from singing along when I hear it, I admit to singing along in my mind.

1 Like

@Lemming13 I adore your gnome collection! Are you keeping them or giving them away?

2 Likes

Same here! My oldest bought me the full performance on CD when he was 14 so I could sing along whenever I wanted in the hopes I’d stop singing along under my breath when we went to the performance every year… It didn’t really help! :notes: :woman_singer:t3: :notes: :heart: :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m keeping some, but others are going to new homes in January. My daughter has already bagged the Midsommar gnome, she loves that movie, and a friend is having the Valentine couple first as a table decoration for her 30th anniversary do in March, then for her mantelpiece. I think half the fun of doing these monthly creations is guessing who will want them afterwards.

2 Likes

Well, I am finally back in my sewing room.

QFK is having a charm pack challenge. There have been fabric pieces donated and cut into various squares and strips. She had an over abundance of the 5” squares.

Part 1: try to grab 100 charms. The one closest won a small prize;

Part 2: if you didn’t get 100 squares or want a bigger variety swap and build your pile to 100 and make a quilt.

This one actually called for 180 charms, so I added pieces that were cut up and fit the size I needed. :wink:. Definitely not a favorite of mine - I’m not much of a scrappy person.

February is the deadline so I’ll quilt it between now and then.

8 Likes

I think a button band in garter stitch would look nice !

3 Likes

You did a great job. I love it!
Unlike your other quilts, this one takes a minute for my eyes to figure out what to look at and in what order.

I am determined to open up my machine this month and sew something. As a heads up it will have to be a scrappy theme. I am not sure if I will do an organized scrappy one or a completely chaotic one.

4 Likes

I can’t wait!!! Be sure to share pictures!

2 Likes

Hey - how is everyone doing this evening?

I am trying to decide which quilt to do next. I probably should get started on a few graduation quilts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m recovering from a bad cold I’ve had since last week. For some reason, my husband (who brought it home…) had an easier time of it than I did. Normally it’s the other way around and I just get a few sniffles while he lays on the couch for three days.

I’ve finished the knitting on Fezziwig, and now need to wash the button band reinforcement ribbon and pick out buttons. I also finished the knitting on a tea cozy, and need to wash and block that before assembly. I’m planning on doing some more tablet weaving today while other things are drying.

2 Likes

I am trying to get it together to take photos of my gazillions of Works in Progress. I don’t take great photos, but I am trying to improve.

In the meantime, I have gotten interested in hand-sewing and embroidery and have been watching YouTube videos about slow stitching and crazy quilts. It’s fun to watch, but I’m not sure if it will lead to actual crafting. The thing is, I do have a lot of embroidery thread and hoops around…we’ll see.

Still working hard at working through my stash, though I have added a few skeins of yarn this year.

5 Likes

I have decided to do a Christmas gift for a family member. So, I will be hand sewing a cute design on an apron. I am finishing up a tree skirt for my artificial tree. And I have one finger-less glove completed.

oh wow!!
Just saw my neighbors Catalytic converter stolen of of his work truck. I didn’t see enough to be able to give a description. Only heard the noise of the grinder and finally saw two youths step away from his truck. By the time I had my phone and headed to the door they got into a really nice get away vehicle and sped away. Those vehicle parts cost over $1000.

I was mad and instantly thought about running over and tackling the one with the part. In my dreams I might have been able to tackle him. But then what. There I would be in my pjs holding down a young man with zero fat on his body…with no back up. His helpers would have been able to take me out in a heart beat.

…all California cars have these parts. If my neighbor has the right insurance they will replace it…if he decides to take out a claim.

Bad guys get them, sell them and someone takes them apart for the precious metals inside them.

1 Like

That is crazy! I feel bad for your neighbor. Maybe someone has a ring doorbell or something they can hand over to police. Since you saw it you can give them a good time frame to look at.

2 Likes

Scrappy, yes, but someone is going to love it, it is so HAPPY!

2 Likes

Is your husband’s sweater done?

2 Likes

I must be a scrappy person because I love it!

3 Likes