Curly mess

Hi I’m new here from NZ. I’ve never had this happen before. I spun it fine, have I over plied it? I’ve recently spun and knitted a jumper and I came out fine. Hellllppp😊. Thank you.

Hello! I’m Rhoda and I’m what I call an “Advanced Beginner” in the spinning world. :slight_smile: So my first question is–have you “wet finished” your yarn? Did you soak it in some warm water for at least 30 minutes to an hour with a bit of wool wash detergent or some other gentle detergent? (I use Basic H2 by Shaklee or even dish-washing soap, but not sure what you have in NZ to use. It need to soak and then hang to dry. If it’s still too curly, it probably means it’s a bit over-plied. Of course, different wools behave differently, but it does look like it could be a bit overplied. I’ve had that happen before–I took it out of the water and it just went all squirrely! I think what I did to help that, was to maybe roll it into a ball or wrap it onto a bobbin, then just spin it in the opposite direction to loosen up the ply a bit.

All that being said, if you’re saying you’ve used some of this yarn, with this issue, to actually knit a jumper, and it came out fine, then I wouldn’t worry about it. But if this is a new-to-you fiber it might be that you have to learn what it needs for spinning. Some yarns have longer staples than others and you need to adjust your spinning. What wool are you using?

Maybe @Carlota or @PurlgirlButtons can weigh in on this–they are both pretty experienced in the spinning world!

I’m going to tag a few more folks… @crosstitchlinda @KikiKnits @Spice2s

I second the wet finishing. I use a wool wash and rinse. You can use a shampoo and conditioner. When you hang it to dry you could try weighting it down to straighten some of the curl.

Hi, I’m also voting for wet finishing. And then, there is always running the yarn back through your wheel in whatever direction it seems to need. To do this, I put the skein on a swift located to the rear of my spinning wheel and feed the yarn through the orifice as when plying originally, and then pump some clockwise twist into it (to cancel out some of the counter-clockwise twist), stopping to check now and then to see if the yarn has relaxed a bit (let it corkscrew on itself to see how much energy is there).
Just curious: what fiber did you start with? Do you have any idea about the staple length and crimp in the fiber you started with? Also, do you remember how your singles were behaving before you plied them? I had a very squirrelly skein of sock yarn that worked up fine even though probably overtwisted. Some people try to get their yarn to do this so that biasing when knitting becomes a design feature, so nothing is lost as long as you are flexible about the intended use. For example, if you knitted a cowl there might be no problem even if the project did bias.
Good luck and please report back.:fk:

I found out what I did…I spun and plyed the same way…:roll_eyes::blush: