Crochet Verson Of Pi Shawl

[SIZE=12px]I have admired knitted Pi shawls for a long time, and have finally started one, but I was wondering, is there a crochet version? I understand the maths of the knitted version – double the stitches as you double the rows – but what would be the crochet equivalent? Crochet stitches are usually taller than knitted stitches, so just doubling up would not work, would it? Or am I over-thinking this, which would not be a first for me! I am looking for general instructions that I can adapt, rather than a specific pattern. Any ideas?[/SIZE]

Fiber spider has a tutorial on Youtube called The Pi Shawl Crochet Tutorial! This may get you on the right path

Thank you, I will have a look. (Sorry for not saying thank you before, I am in a different time zone.)

@WeeBizzom

Just wondering if you found the help you needed.
I am researching the idea of creating a Pi Shawl.
They are so lovely. Well…the pictures are. I have yet to see one in the wild.

No, not really. There only seems to be one video on YouTube about the crochet version, the Fiber Spider one, but that doesn’t really explain the maths of it. There are varying numbers of increases in between the main stitches, not just doubling up, which fits that particular pattern but would not necessarily fit another one, e.g. with clusters rather than v-stitches. He also mentions that the work can curl up or flare out, which says to me either not enough stitches or too many. I know that blocking, like charity, covers a multitude of sins, but it is not really what I am looking for.

I think it is going to be a case of experiment and make a lot of notes, but I have to finish my knitted version first – it is for my great-nephew who will be born in the summer whether the shawl is here or not!

@WeeBizzom I too have admired these but alas, am not a knitter. I’ve not found a good resource for converting although this site has some good ideas on ways to start. I’ve also had some success using a shorter extended stitch to get my gauge. I agree with you, it’s going to be adventuresome experimentation (in my mind, the best kind!). Please post pics if you get it done, I’d love to see it!

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/convert.shtml

Thank you, that looks interesting. I hadn’t thought of starting with a knitting pattern, but that is a good idea. Some maths ahead!

@WeeBizzom and others…

I found a Crochet circular afghan pattern online.
Was wondering if this pattern would help you?
It is a pinwheel design, but for the Christmas season. They varied where they put the color portion so it highlights different part of the pinwheel. Anyway…was wondering if this particular design and color-work would be of any help to you as you try to figure out a crochet pi shawl.

https://www.yarnspirations.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-spinrite/default/dw070e3502/PDF/CAC0502-002406M.pdf

Thank you. I had a look at the pattern and the increase part says to increase 12 stitches per round, so the result would have increases spread evenly over each row, which would be nice in itself, but I was thinking more of a lot of increases in one row, then some straight rows of pattern, e.g. lace, some more increases in one row, some more pattern, etc. I think combining the increases with lace-type patterns would involve some serious mathematical gymnastics.

This all started because I was looking for something “a bit different” for a Christening shawl. Now, with all this coronavirus around, I don’t even know if there will be a Christening, but I am going ahead with another shawl pattern anyway and hoping for the best. Once I get that out of the way, I am going to crack this code – I can’t believe I have discovered something impossible. I have downloaded the pattern for later and I will definitely be having a go at this at some point.

http://www.icreateyoucrochet.com/2015/07/1949-victorian-shawl-free-vintage.html

I just found this online. Hope it helps someone in their journey closer to a crochet pi shawl. :fk:

@WeeBizzom
I have a sneaky feeling that when life settles down into a more reliable ‘normal’ routine you will wake up in the morning with the answer to this problem. I think a beautiful pattern will just flow from your fingertips as if part of your mind was just waiting for the perfect time to release it. (hope that doesn’t sound too… weird… a lot of people wake up from a good night sleep with the solution to something they have been puzzling over.) Might want to put a paper and pen next to your bed, just in case.:sparkling_heart:

I am sure the Christening Shawl you are making will be perfect, beautiful and well loved. Please…take pictures.

No, it doesn’t sound weird at all, a lot of people wake up with the answer to a problem right there, although I must admit that, for me, coffee also helps! You are right, though, even if the Christening does not take place, the baby will have an heirloom of sorts – or at the very least, a rather posh car seat blanket – and a story to tell in the future :slight_smile: