Chatter Thread - Spinning July & August 2021

Yes, the fleece arrived and it was a bulging box!

I love all the textures you are getting - they look like fun to spin.

These look like fun!

Thanks @Sommerfugl - tomorrow I will lay it all out and start scouring. I’m slow, and my little water heater can’t keep up, so I will need a few days to get it all done.

Thank you both for your kind words.

@PurlgirlButtons - It is very easy to make my hobbies my idol. I was struggling mightily with that this past year with my weaving! I love to weave, and I was even dreaming about weaving, I wanted to do nothing but read about weaving when I was on the Internet or even on my tablet, and it even interfered with my Bible reading time in the mornings, which is really what keeps me grounded and I NEED that! Thankfully being busy this summer outdoors has kept me away from my weaving enough to get me refocused, and even just having the SdF has help me become more balanced. As with most of us here, it’s so fun to teach others how to spin or weave or knit, but even that has to find a balance with family and friend relationships.

@Carlota - You are so right–my parents are nearly 80 and my Mom has some dementia; thankfully she can still remember her family but she is becoming less and less interactive in conversations and activities, and since I live so far away from her (about 1000 miles), I want to make the most of the times I do go to visit her and Dad.

very pretty. :slight_smile:

Dropping in to say I love seeing your projects from your spinning fun! :slight_smile:

Good for you for doing that much spinning. I think the SdF is a good way to get us back in the mode when we’ve been busy with other crafts or with life in general. Thanks for all you did in getting it going this year!!

Those are pretty! That will make it fun to spin!

Ohhh…what a box of fun, squishy goodness! Have fun!

Thanks for dropping in! Maybe someday you’ll be joining the fun!

So I FINALLY finished my Shetland wool! (the singles) Three oz each of the white and dark brown, and 12 oz of the medium brown. Now it needs to be plied. I plan to do 2-ply. My question is–what is your favorite way to divide the singles into even amounts without having a measuring device for yardage. (I signed up for the kickstarter project for the yardage counter from Dreaming Robots.com, but it’s going to be probably next year before it comes out) Do you just figure out the weight and divide it in two? Do you take it all off on a niddy noddy, figure out the length and put it back on the bobbins for plying? Do you just “guesstimate” the amount?

Another thing I find interesting–the white and the dark brown are both supposed to be 3 oz each, but one bobbin is definitely fuller than the other! I didn’t think I was that much different in my spinning technique and thickness! It’s for a shawl, so I’m not going to worry too much about the yarn being the exact same size. If it was for a sweater or something where fit and size matters, I’d probably be more concerned.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this yarn, added to the fleece I processed from scratch last year, should be plenty for my Shetland hap. I did almost all of this while traveling–either in the car or in the hotel room. The last half-full bobbin was mostly done after we got home. I have to say I have been pretty happy with that little EEW 6.0!

20210723_115925.jpg

Don’t those look great all lined up?!!! I just divide by weight. If I’m off, I divide the remainder again by weight and have a mini skein to use for a cuff, or a pocket, or for reserve.

I never re-wind my bobbins. I pair a couple of bobbins and ply what I can. If there is only a little bit left on one bobbin, I do a quick andean ply around my hand and ply the same single to itself to finish it up.

As for bobbins being the same weight, but look different on the bobbin, well, there are so many factors that go to loading the bobbin! Of course you can’t get as much on a bobbin weight-wise if the singles are thicker. Also, if you are not paying attention, then it doesn’t go on the bobbin very smoothly, or efficiently, giving you less weight on the bobbin than you would otherwise. I’ve noticed there is vastly different appearances to the bobbin fullness given these or even other factors. :slight_smile:

I’m not very picky, I ply until one runs out. If you chain ply, then it doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

So Rkennell & I have finally got to “talk” and we’ve decided on the Combativity Award for our Spin de Fleece.

You can find the winner here.

We awarded this to her because she posted often and was positive and helped to make the Spin de Fleece a success with her participation :slight_smile:

Thank you all.

@Carlota, thanks. I will probably give that a try. I only have 6 bobbins for this wheel, so I’m going to have to put some on a “storage” bobbin to have a extra bobbin to ply onto.

@Spice2s - thanks for your insight–I am NOT a real particular person about how evenly I get my bobbins wound on and this time especially it seemed like the yarn built up quicker. I think partly because it was a thicker yarn and also because the electric wheel tends to spin quicker than I do with a treadled wheel, even if I have it at a slower speed. I think it’s because I’m not as apt to stop from time to time like I do when I’m treadling, so then I end up having a large “bulge” before I remember to stop the wheel and check. And yes, it’s also a little different about how evenly it was spun since I can’t count treadling steps on an electric wheel. Going to be a bit of a learning curve to produce more evenly spun yarn. This also was a woolen spin, so I wasn’t quite as worried about keeping it exactly smooth.

I’ve finally started plying, so I’m eager to get it done and knit the yarn!

Thank you @Spice2s for ALL you did this year to get this up and going! That spreadsheet was excellent!

I got home after 2 weeks of being away and found a package from Purlgirl!! A wonderful project bag and and Spin de Fleece buttons! I love them. Thank you so much Purlgirl!!

How fun!

Soooooo…I tried spinning a super fine yarn for chain plying and it was a flop. First I discovered I don’t care for spinning that fine as it takes forever to do it. Second I tried plying on 2 different wheels and tried 3 different kates and my fine thread kept breaking!!! I have now lost interest…it was
​​​​​​an experiment and I learned from it.

Now I am drying a bit of Fleece that I washed. I want to see how much weight is lost washing out the lanolin. I also wonder if I will still be able to use the flicker or will the locks be too out of order. I have not worked with raw fleece for a very long time…I did spin a mini skein from raw fleece and then washed it…I have been spoiled by such easy access to roving! Maybe I should have used the flicker before washing? And placed it in a net bag? Any suggestions/advice?

I decided to split my silk and try blending with wool and possibly other fibers and spin some by itself.