Cat Bordhi Rio Calina Cowl Knit Along

I’m not starting this yet but I know exactly what you mean.

Ok, I think I get it now!
I am far enough along in my knitting that I can see how this will look when completed.
:slight_smile:
By design, the finished project DOES show the right side (cabled side) on the top, and the wrong side (flatter side) on the the bottom. Two different textures, for interest.
When you follow the diagram and instructions, and you get a sampling of both sides showing when you wear it.

Yes. Glad you worked it out. Any progress pictures for us?

I’m going to restart. There are several problems I’m wanting to correct.

I’m playing yarn chicken. Are you all finding you need the full 360 yards?

My yarn seems too thick. I’m going to go up a needle size and reduce the cast on by four stitches.
If ! don’t like that I will go with a sport weight yarn.

I want more than 1/2" ribbing before I start cabling.

b5ec5411c8fcafca48a11acb6f0fed45jpg.jpg

@qfknit - so it is like a biscuit tube?

@Char - yes, I like how you describe it as a biscuit tube! It is exactly like that, and then the top drapes over. Knitted fabric will drape better than paper. :wink:

I tend to be a pattern pre-reader.
When I looked at the photos, I initially thought:

• the prettier cables were placed on the draped-over top , displayed prominently.
  • the less artful random cross-overs were placed underneath… I thought maybe those were created when just starting out on the project, as a person is experimenting and beginning to get a feel for the flow… or maybe those were created toward the end, when one might be knitting on auto-pilot while their mind is filled with thoughts of the next project. (I do that… LOL, multitasking.)

Actually, the “prettier” cables on the draped top is the “fierce” deeply textured cabled side, reminiscent of rafting down river rapids… the cables showing underneath are NOT less artful, they are the “tranquil” side, flatter cables reminiscent of still waters.

Two interesting textures. Truly a delight to watch this grow on my needles.

I knitted about 6 or 7 rows before beginning cable cross-overs. For my first cable cross-over row, I worked in a steady rhythm across the row: repeating matched pairs of cable-left and cable-right. I thought this symmetry would make a pleasant transition from the ribbing on the previous rows, to the asymmetry of random cable cross-overs on subsequent rows. So far, so good.

How is everyone doing on this cowl?
I am thinking of starting it this week. My first thought is I am going to have trouble not knowing where to put my cabling. Letting my work flow along seems scary to me.
Lol…Yes I do move the river rocks to create pools and predictability when I visit my streams and rivers. Lol.
Are you finding it easy to relax and just knit?:fk:

In the past when I’ve had to do “random” things in knitting I have gotten out some dice and let chance tell me when to do the changes. I’m not doing this cowl, I did do her Moebius cowl a month ago.

@hereami @crosstitchlinda - I’m finding the randomization of the cable cross-overs to be extremely good fun, and interesting. There are simply no “wrong” ways to place your cables on this piece! So yes, it is relaxing. I will measure my progress-to-date and post a photo later.

I am creating my cowl in soft, comfy, itch-free acrylic: Hobby Lobby’s worsted weight “I Love This Yarn” - Stonewash - in color 06 Teal.

One skein is 252 yards, and provided for the first 26 inches of knitting.
That’s about 9.69 yards for each inch of knitted cowl.
To knit the recommended length of about 34" for this cowl will take about 329.5 yards.
I’m using a #11 needle (8mm).

To provide rather uniform width, I slipped the end stitch and created an edging of 4 stitches in 1x1 ribbing.
This accounts for 8 stitches total, of the 64 cast on.
I have 14 groups of (p1, K2, p1) to use for my cables (56 stitches).

LOL, in the first photo, you can see my tiny bamboo circular needle peeking out… I’m using it as a cable needle, and insert it into the project between uses.

Progress photos:

29f8501586960131c3dd13a60ac7d120jpg.jpg

12d277038a98faf367d925c589fbba8bjpg.jpg

4b7101a363306f812dde99cdb9cb3eafjpg.jpg

Completed my new cowl!
Cat Bordhi’s “Rio Calina” pattern… Let the River Carry You, random cables.
It’s very comfortable, easy to put on and fun to wear.

This cowl arranges it self a bit differently each time… it varies in how much of the underneath layer shows. [INDENT]- The overlapped bottom layer is the tranquil side… the flatter “wrong side” of the cables.

• The overlapping top layer is the fierce side, the deeply textured random cable crossings.[/INDENT]

5 photos are attached to reveal the subtle variations.

deb8d603fa803b8b9fcd0bb9fe783840jpg.jpg

5762762f0c766aad278e1fe413ed9f85jpg.jpg

82d7b6fbaa027fa5524e576491600528jpg.jpg

e0321611c0c08d1bec38c2e56ab5528djpg.jpg

3dd39efa373ef0fcc0f11a24ddb43ebejpg.jpg

That came out really nice!

@Hellokitten - Thank You! :slight_smile:
Tomorrow I may post a photo of the cowl before it is folded to wear, showing more of the “tranquil” side.

@qfknit it really turned out beautiful! I had trouble making mine, I need more structure and sometimes have trouble using my imagination in a pattern like this. Very pretty!

It is beautiful! Such variety in its wearability, too.

This is fabulous!

It came out beautiful and I bet it will be fun and cozy to wear. I haven’t gotten mine going yet for similar reasons to @knitter131 and because I have too many projects going! Knitting ADD I tell you! Unless I decide to make one as a Christmas gift it probably won’t happen anytime soon since my attention is definitely shifting to knitting Christmas gifts. So many times I’ve said I was going to do an all hand made Christmas and this year I really am!

Thank you for posting the pictures.
Your cowl is very lovely. It will be perfect for winter.

This is on my to do list.

This photo shows the “tranquil” side of the cables… the back side or WS.
In this photo, the length of the cowl has been divided in thirds and then seamed.
Before wearing, the top point folds down to show the “fierce” side of the deeply textured random cable crossings.

Cat Bordhi - Rio Calina cowl - photo 6.jpg